• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Clover Manga Has 5.5 Million Copies in Print

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
Very nice! Black Clover doing great is always good news. Well deserved too. It's an easy top 3 in the current JUMP line-up.
TheEnhancedExe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Very nice! Black Clover doing great is always good news. Well deserved too. It's an easy top 3 in the current JUMP line-up.

If you're talking about sales, it's probably barely or not even Top 5.
One Piece is obviously 1st, after that we have Haikyuu with the 2nd highest sales and Boku no Hero Academia with the 3rd highest sales. Then The Promised Neverland has already overtaken Black Clover with sales and is already 4th if I'm right. And then we have Shokugeki no Souma that is still selling more than Black Clover, I believe, although Black Clover might be getting close by now.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
TheEnhancedExe wrote:

If you're talking about sales

I wasn't speaking about sales.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
I still don't understand why Black Clover is so popular when it's not doing anything new or original and the characters aren't really all that engaging to me, putting Asta aside. And unless the manga art is a lot more fantastic, the fight scenes in the anime felt rather lackluster to me compared to other action series like Blue Exorcist and Seraph of the End which I feel like are far more creative series than Black Clover.
pauladls

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I still don't understand why Black Clover is so popular when it's not doing anything new or original and the characters aren't really all that engaging to me, putting Asta aside. And unless the manga art is a lot more fantastic, the fight scenes in the anime felt rather lackluster to me compared to other action series like Blue Exorcist and Seraph of the End which I feel like are far more creative series than Black Clover.

Really it's popular? I dont find Any doujins and good fanarts..
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:

It's always in the top 5 popular shows on Crunchyroll and easily reach #1 on days in airs, which is something very few shows can say. In JUMP it's consistently in the top 5 in the rankings. It sell wells too. Personnally I see a lot of good fanart. I do hope doujins are coming, it's definitely the next step.
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Tabata has really great art. It's sharp, it's unique, the fights are fast and easy to follow and mainly the panel to panel flow is pretty damn great. So the fights are very well put together.

The characters are all super fun. Luck, Yami, Yuno, Asta and all the Vermillions are all great. They recently introduced one of my favorite female character in a huge while in Meleoleona. She just breaks all expectations. She's awesome.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Kids who weren't around during the reign of the big three.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:

dont know if doujin and fanart is a good measure as if we use fanarts on pixiv as a measure the massive popular AssClass has only 10% (~10000) of the arts the lesser selling HQ has (123K arts).

Similarly we know Promised neverland is popular, but fanarts wise it pales in comparison to others. (but has a slightly higher amount than BC (700 vs 500)).

Also how would you use it as measure as i guess it would be largely based on where youre looking, are you measuring based on your self selected group of tweet accounts to follow? tumblr accounts?

I only browse Pixiv for arts and twitter....
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Tabata has really great art. It's sharp, it's unique, the fights are fast and easy to follow and mainly the panel to panel flow is pretty damn great. So the fights are very well put together.

The characters are all super fun. Luck, Yami, Yuno, Asta and all the Vermillions are all great. They recently introduced one of my favorite female character in a huge while in Meleoleona. She just breaks all expectations. She's awesome.
Maybe Studio Pierrot is just bad at animating the fight scenes but they just came across as too short to appreciate any impressive visual art but maybe it's better in the manga. I didn't find the characters to be all that entertaining from what I saw in the anime. They just came across as clones of Fairy Tail characters to me.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

You don't have to reinvent the wheel to be popular. Black Clover is simple, relateable, nice to look at, and fun. There's no needless angst, confusing plot twists, drawn out junk and stuff of that sort that hurts other series.

Sometimes people just want something simple they can turn their minds off to and just get interested in for five minutes. It's one of the reasons Fairy Tail was successful for as long as it was, it had story issues but it was still nice to look at, had fun characters and wasn't sad just to be sad.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
The manga's art is fantastic. I really don't care if people tell the same story, I just care about whether it is good or not. So I like Black Clover, not yet sure if the anime will do the manga justice yet, but I am going to still be watching.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
My main issue with the anime is Asta yelling. I finally had to drop it and wait for the [as] airings for the dub, which is tolerable, but just barely. It's one time I might've considered reading the manga instead, except that the story didn't seem interesting enough to subject myself to that either.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Its competently made as in the art is good & the plot is serviceable.

There is nothing particularly outstanding or really good about it but it fills a specific niche in the general mundane shonen that helps keep it alive.

I don't think the ratings for the anime are that good though (disregarding Western streaming sites).

Besides people have went gaga over lesser things. Twilight & Fifty Shades of Grey are best selling novels after all despite how sad that is.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

You don't have to reinvent the wheel to be popular. Black Clover is simple, relateable, nice to look at, and fun. There's no needless angst, confusing plot twists, drawn out junk and stuff of that sort that hurts other series.

Sometimes people just want something simple they can turn their minds off to and just get interested in for five minutes. It's one of the reasons Fairy Tail was successful for as long as it was, it had story issues but it was still nice to look at, had fun characters and wasn't sad just to be sad.
Which is ironic since I remember Fairy Tale getting a lot more flack for ripping off One Piece than I've seen Black Clover getting for ripping off Fairy Tail.
CookieXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
There is nothing particularly outstanding or really good about it but it fills a specific niche in the general mundane shonen that helps keep it alive. .

Lol. There are things in BC that does even better than for example what Naruto or FT did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2