• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tada Never Falls in Love (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote

Tada Never Falls in Love (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance

Plot Summary: Mitsuyoshi Tada, a boy who has never known love, is taking pictures of the cherry blossoms in full bloom when he meets Teresa Wagner, a transfer student from Luxembourg. Upon arriving in Japan, she got lost, separated from her travel companion. Mitsuyoshi helps her and brings her to his grandfather's coffee shop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I think Teresa is a really cute girl and the way she introduced herself is just charming. A good portion of the episode featured her and Tada's character chemistry. Pretty sure this show will develop their relationship throughout the rest of the series. It's also nice to see the other main characters appear too especially that Alexandra (redhead) girl.

It's a very lighthearted romance anime so I do expect more characterization. We got class introductions for Teresa and Alexandra so it's going to be a long year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
I already gathered Teresa's "background" from the key image... nice little spoiler there, guys... but it's not as if the show's going out of its way to hide it, what with the bodyguard and all. It's a good start to what looks to be a fun romantic comedy.

But.

Te-re-sa. This is going to take time to get used to it being pronounced as "Ter-e-sa".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, she is totally not a princess. Just keep ignoring that she corrects her surname, that she comes from a small European nation, and for some reason has a handler who is incredibly protective of her. She is a totally normal girl!
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
After finishing this episode I kept thinking about how the title of this show could have been absolutely anything.

Do you guys think they will play up this aspect of 'Tada Never Falls in Love' or how important will that theme be?

I enjoyed it though. I feel like it's not very often we have a romantic love interest that's literally a foreign exchange student and they actually play and utilize that story line. I could picture the plot being relatively formulaic in this show, but I guess that doesn't matter if the experience is worthwhile. I'll be checking this out weekly.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 2.

That was, and I can't believe I get to say this in this era of anime, delightful. I've seen recent cute and recent fun but I thought the episode was just adorable, from Teresa's secret "samurai" doorway to the end conceit that every episode develops a photo. There's a few more hints of things to come and come out, some a lot more obvious than others though I really want to hear why the Class Rep... Hinako, really? Wow, the guy really is blind... started doing it more than the reason she continues.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

It would not surprise me in the least if it turned out that Pin-sempai-san-sama knew all along, and was playing dumb to a) be next to her and b) not embarrass her openly. Something in the way he noticed when she hung back at the end. I dunno, he probably is clueless, but I'm just saying I won't be dumbfounded if he's not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
You could be right, but on the other hand he is so gaga over "Hina" that I have a hard time imagining he'd be able to play it cool around Hinako if he actually knew. I think it is more of a case of he actually does like Hinako on her own merits but doesn't realize it/is reluctant to acknowledge it. His claim that he was protecting his camera instead of her feels a bit iffy to me.

Anyway, cute show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I feel like it must just be me, but I am really not finding myself finterested in any charm this show tries to put up. In fact I feel like things where this episode did the inner monologue of the cat, it felt like it was trying too hard, that it actually makes me groan a bit.

If I had to think back to a series that I thought had this sort of reaction so far that it kind of feels like it does not quite land for me, it would be A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd, but even that felt like it was able to play off some lack of being serious for humour. Here it seems to mostly stay on model, set up gags that are just meh, and trying to set up this romantic aspect, that I really do not care about at all.

Actually, Librarian even did the gag before of a chubby cat that has a similar manly voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbsSddP-dOM

Anyway, sorry to be so negative, while others are probably enjoying it a good amount.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
Conversely, devoting an episode to the best character actually saved it for me. Now they just need a crossover with the best characters from March Comes In Like A Lion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I actually feel a bit angry, because I don't care. I can watch all sorts of crappy romance anime, but up till the end this show could not make me care. It had me sit here watching a romantic comedy anime, and not give an f what was happening, did not find it funny, or feel invested in the main couple. It kind of feels like a place in my heart where I love this genre is, instead is a void of darkness. I really want to know what in the hell happened here, that there was nothing for me to love. I can but feel an ember for when Nyanko Big would attack the guy, that is it.

First I am going to the twist that she is a princess, which the show played a bit coy with, but I am only frustrated because I figured it out almost instantaneously, and felt like it was clear where it was going. And that is a next thing, the show is called "Tada Never Falls in Love", but my automatic response is to call that bullshit, because of course he is going to tall in love with the princess, it does not feel clever at all. I can't see how there is any meaning to such a title, as if there is some defining trait, but never felt like there really was anything to Tada, he practically had a void of a personality, with photography slapped on, because that is supposedly enough to make him a character. Teresa felt boring too, maybe it is just because I am a westerner who well knows the sort of Japanophile, but there was nothing there to actually make her interesting. Yet, I can love a character like Alice from Kiniro Mosaic, but nothing from Teresa.

And that annoying guy who takes selfies of himself, was totally the worst, straight up annoying, that I actually feel annoyed that they tried to make him a thoughtful character by things like his cooking. He was essentially harassing Alec, absolutely not funny at all. The secret idol thing did catch my attention a bit in the show, but glasses guy, was also the worst, in the end I don't care for how it turns for something obvious never actually changing the dynamic of relationships. I don't think I recall anything interesting of the kouhai, yes he had the I guess mini thing with the sister, but again nothing to make me care. And surprise I don't care about Disney prince Charles.

It probably sounds like I am being petty, it is not like I am talking about other parts of quality within the show, but if I try to think of those things, the response that comes out is that I don't care about it, nothing in the show really made any other quality parts feel important. I can sit down and watch an Otome anime, like the worst kinds, and they can get me to care, but somehow this show that should be aimed more at me, just makes me not care, it is not hate, its indifference, the actual opposite of what love is, and that is frustrating. because there is no way I should feel like that for a show like this, and that in itself makes me angry.

I give a rating of Bad (2/10), which maybe sounds overly harsh, but it just has me feeling that way because it totally failed at what should have been easy with me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
If it makes you feel any better, DP, it is possible to view the entire "happy ending" as a tacked on fictional ending written by the author Reiko D. Everything past "A happy ending would be nice." seems to be wish fulfillment to me at least.

I know it doesn't address most of your concerns so it probably doesn't change anything but I like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1