• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World [and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too] (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:29 am Reply with quote

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World [and Became Unrivaled in the Real World, Too] (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 12 volumes, written by Miku, illustrated by Rein Kuwashima)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Millepensee

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: iseaki, school

Plot Summary: A door to another world stretches out before a boy who's been brutally bullied all his life. This alternate reality grants him access to all sorts of things, like cheat skills and a portal that lets him travel between his old and new worlds. Can this class loser turn his life around back home...

Air Date & Platform:
April 6, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Wow. Isekai are inherently wish fulfillment stories, but this one is wish fulfillment on steroids. Within a very short period of time our protog goes from pathetic, fat pariah to super buff hero with his own barrier protected pad in another world were high level monsters who can't touch him conveniently end up at his fence to be offed by his wide range of "can't ever miss, always fatal" weapons. Oh, said monsters then deposit various things that can be converted into beaucoup yen back on Earth. And then the random girl Fatty stood up for at the beginning turns out to be an oujo-sama. "Subtlety" is definitely not in this show's colour palette.

Establishing the bullying stuff was just as ham-fisted as the positive stuff. I'm shocked they didn't have a dog come along and crap on Yuya's head after he got beat up by school bullies and then make a withering remark about his weight before trotting off.

Having said all of that, I'm kinda in. This show has got great production values... it certainly doesn't LOOK like your standard Animu Generica isekai show. And besides, when have I ever been a devoted worshipper of subtlety?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1 Wow. Isekai are inherently wish fulfillment stories, but this one is wish fulfillment on steroids.

Yah. I'm waiting for the plants he's picking in the otherworldly garden to cure cancer and confer immortality. Unless 300 level ogres are common, it looks like this one took a page out of "Farming in Another World" and put him smack dab in the middle of some forest full of final bosses too.

Wow...I just realized...I miss "Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town." I really liked that show.

Oops, sorry.

Blood- wrote:
Episode 1 Establishing the bullying stuff was just as ham-fisted as the positive stuff.

It looks like they're going to have him still acting cringe for a bit until his psychology catches up with his new physiology. Given how everything else is rolling for him now, I'm guessing that won't take long.

Blood- wrote:
Episode 1 Having said all of that, I'm kinda in.

Well, there's something to be said for choosing an approach and going all out. I'll ante up for 3 episodes.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:32 pm Reply with quote
..Disappointed. Having read all 83 episodes of the web novel over the last two weeks, there was a lot of stuff that got skipped over and some of the details were either in a different order or not the same as the source material I read. I guess I had higher expectations or the producers chose to really hack it up.
Another disappointment was no translation for the pop up boxes. So unless you can read Japanese or remember what you read in the novel or manga, you have no idea what is happening. Some of that information is important.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:55 am Reply with quote
Gisan Otaku wrote:
. there was a lot of stuff that got skipped over and some of the details were either in a different order or not the same as the source material I read.

I'm guessing they omitted a lot of details about this grandfather who may or may not be the mysterious sage in order to get to the action quickly?

For that matter, the scene with the girl seemed pretty abrupt. She doesn't know his name or anything about him (unless we're too assume the patrol officer acted like a real patrol officer and got his deets in front of her even though the anime made it look like they just let him walk away). She's apparently going to play a role in future events, but unless she knows his name, she has no way to recognize him or connect him to the event now.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald, you are correct about the girl at the bodega. In the web novel, he gets interviewed by the police and refuses EMS. In the anime, I agree with you that it looks like he leaves before the cops arrive. I was excepting this scene to be towards the end of the first episode since in the novel it takes place after he discovers the door and crosses over for the first time and before he kills the ogre. As I said, things are in a different order. Also, she does play an important role in the future.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Holy @#$%, this episode's school experience was as over the top idyllic as last week's episode was nightmarishly hellish. I don't blame Yuuya for being paranoid. I was freaking out the whole time. Watch out! Don't trust it! There's got to be a ninja or an android or a demon who wants to remove your spine and use it as a xylophone somewhere! See that Ryouu kid? I'll bet he's just using you as his wallet, and then you'll have to transfer schools and you won't even be able to make a move on the nice girl next door who comes over and cooks...oh. Never mind. .

But I liked it. Maybe the toxic dump last week made this week's glucose overdose tolerable somehow. .

The one thing I didn't like was I kept feeling like there were huge gaps, maybe because they were pointed out last week. Where did he get omni-swords and energy bows? Were they monster drops, or did I forget something? He doesn't seem to have a class, so where are all these skills coming from? Or is he just so agile and strong and fast at leavel 200 + that his stats are like a martial art all by themselves?

And what's the deal with those...are they fraternal twins, or just his old school's version of Bonnie and Snide?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:48 am Reply with quote
Yup, his life sure has changed from one episode to the next. I do like how the show is realistic in that a body change can be easier done than a change of long ingrained mindset. You can change his body due to cheats, but how he views himself and the world will take a lot longer.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:06 am Reply with quote
So, the third episode was fun, but the last 30 seconds or so stuck with me the most. Freeza (the voice actor that is) being a boss of a model agency is not something I expected.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the crucial "third episode". Now that it is obvious to me that the anime is not following the web novel, time to sit back and see what events that I have read come into being.

Not the first time that the anime hasn't followed the web novel and that doesn't bother me. Sometimes the anime brought a side story or a background character to the front and I found it interesting. Sometimes the production committee went so far out into left field, I quit watching. We will see where this one goes.

Last edited by Gisan Otaku on Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting the modeling and/or acting angle. I also wasn't expecting them to add another harem candidate. I had it in my head that the princess in the fantasy world was the counterpart to the dean's granddaughter in the "real" world, and our resident Cinderfella was going to wind up in a tug of war.

Have to say, I wasn't too impressed with the princess. Risking her guards' lives on what seems like a whim make her seem more like Selen, the Yandere stalker with the enchanted belt in [i]Suppose A Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Wandered into a Book Whose Title is Tool Long /i] etc. Sir Lloyd! Marry me!
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely not sold on the story adding yet another angle for conflict, especially not when the academy and fantasy world might already stretch the pacing thin.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Wow, this is one of the most wish fulfillmenty things I've ever seen in my life. Like Edjwald, I kept on waiting in episode 2 for the other shoe to drop on Ousei Academy, but nope, it seems to be exactly as advertised: the embodiment of the perfect school. Then the whole model thing in Episode 3. This dude is obviously never gonna have another bad moment in his life.

I also find it odd that, so far, his experiences in the real world are taking up more screen time than in the other one. That may change, of course.

Even though I'm sneering at the truly over the top wish fulfillment stuff, I'm still basically enjoying this, which kinda puts to lie the old rule of thumb that conflict is the essence of drama.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:09 pm Reply with quote
So, is it just me or did episode 4 not make sense in many ways? The way people sometimes acted or not act at all was just plain weird. I also question things like security at an elite school to ward off intruders not being a thing at all. Like, I know logic is not a thing to tune in for when it comes to an isekai, but this was just blatant.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:23 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
So, is it just me or did episode 4 not make sense in many ways? The way people sometimes acted or not act at all was just plain weird. I also question things like security at an elite school to ward off intruders not being a thing at all. Like, I know logic is not a thing to tune in for when it comes to an isekai, but this was just blatant.

You mean how the male lead jumped from a four story floor without spraining an ankle, did a backwards flip 30 feet through the air, and casually stopped a charging six foot 7, 300 + pound dude by putting out one hand, and no one thought it was time to call Lois Lane?

It's pretty clear that if someone is going to enjoy this show, they're going to have to know when to casually look the other way while whistling. I'm capable of this to point of near delusion if I like the characters or the premise. I have a harder time suspending my disbelief when its character inconsistency that's the problem. For example, if the brother and sister (?) really do perform instant turnarounds and become loving siblings, I'll be reporting to the doctor with a strained credulity.

BTW. the trouble twins are actually his brother or sister? Was I out of the room getting a snack or (or just out to lunch) when they explained this little tidbit earlier?

Still, I'll be watching next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8