• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ushio & Tora's Studio Voln Animates Karakuri Circus for Amazon Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
While I rather see Amazon not involved with anime at this point, something tells me that this show is being made because Amazon is helping with the financing. This is especially significant if the show is 4-5 cours long.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
I watched a few episodes of Ushio. I always do this: when I'm interested in an anime, but at the same time I'm watching others, I watch their first episode, to get a sense of what I'll see when I finish those I'm already watching. After that I move on to them. I could not watch only one episode of Ushio, I needed to see a 10 lol

It's good to see that Studio Voln is involved with Twin Engine and the other studios. It is a good initiative for a new studio to get involved in this innovation in business. I'm glad.
Dandylion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Ok ... After all these (exciting) announcements Can Somebody please explain to me what is this "Twin engine" Company ??? What's its goal ??? Who are the people behind It ???
Is It a production Company set up by Amazon ???

I'm Just curious, because It's seemingly popping up out of nowhere and the ANN's encyclopedia entry is very limited ...
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Twin Engine will become my Gods some day. Thank you Amazon with financially helping in one way or another.

If this gets 75 or 100 episodes this will become a masterpiece.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Dandylion wrote:
Ok ... After all these (exciting) announcements Can Somebody please explain to me what is this "Twin engine" Company ??? What's its goal ??? Who are the people behind It ???

I'm Just curious, because It's seemingly popping up out of nowhere and the ANN's encyclopedia entry is very limited ...

Twin Engine is an animation production company founded by Koji Yamamoto, former producer of Fuji TV in the Noitamina block. Yamamoto after 10 years producing for the block Noitamina decided to go out to found his own studio [Geno Studio] and its producer [Twin Engine], considering the conditions of the studios whom he asked to produce anime for the Fuji TV. He created it so that it could assist studios in their productions so as to allow the creative minds [animators and directors] to have more freedom, and that the workload as well as the responsibility for production be alleviated.

Whether small or large, Yamamoto's goal with his production is to help the studios produce, and for this he wants to gather as many studios as he can in his network, to create a kind of chain of cooperation. Wit, Science Saru and Studio Colorido are just a few of the names that have already partnered with the producer. It also aims to dribble the current system of production commission.

Although many say that Geno Studio was created to finish the film of the fabled studio Manglobe, Genocidal Organ, in fact Yamamoto created the studio for another objective that this one was not claimed.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's like Maruyama is desperately trying to go back to the days where he could personally fund a 74 episode adaptation of Monster. I love the hell out of this guy. His passion for his work is truly indomitable. I hope this and Pluto are successful and I hope more of these can become full adaptations.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
Is this Amazon's first completely exclusive streaming series (IE, not just exclusive in the west but even in Japan.) If so I wonder how they'll handle it. Will they drop the whole series at once? Do 12 episode batches every cour until it's done? Do one episode a week?

This is obviously being done to catch up with Netflix's anime push, but Netflix seems happy with doing short series. Amazon is mixing things up by animating a manga that would need 4 or 5 cours to adapt properly.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Dandylion wrote:

Twin Engine, like it said earlier, is production network of former NoitaminA executive director, Kouji Yamamoto, now consisted from one heck of the animation studios pack: it's affiliated with Wit Studio (yes, it's currently part of IG Port and Twin Engine), Lay-Duce, Science SARU (Masaaki Yuasa studio), Geno Studio (Genocidal Organ, Kokkoku, currently doing Golden Kamui TV anime), Colorido, and recently formed Revoroot.

Wyvern wrote:
Is this Amazon's first completely exclusive streaming series (IE, not just exclusive in the west but even in Japan.) If so I wonder how they'll handle it. Will they drop the whole series at once? Do 12 episode batches every cour until it's done? Do one episode a week?
Not first at all - they have exclusive rights to stream the Noitamina shows even in Japan.

So yeah, it will work the same thing like always - one episode at week.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

Wyvern wrote:
Not first at all - they have exclusive rights to stream the Noitamina shows even in Japan.

So yeah, it will work the same thing like always - one episode at week.

I think they were probably under the impression that this wouldn't be aired on TV at all, which would make this the first of its kind for Amazon. I don't think that's what is happening, since, as far as I know, Yamamoto is still somewhat affiliated with Fuji TV, and would want all of these shows to air there.
In the unlikely case that this is entirely exclusive to Amazon though, it would be interesting to see what Amazon would do.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

This is obviously being done to catch up with Netflix's anime push, but Netflix seems happy with doing short series. Amazon is mixing things up by animating a manga that would need 4 or 5 cours to adapt properly.
No, they have had exclusive streaming rights for every noitaminA show since Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and every Animeism show since Altair: A Record of Battles. Amazon also has exclusive streaming for other shows like Re:Creators, Welcome to the Ballroom, Onihei, and Kokkoku.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's like Maruyama is desperately trying to go back to the days where he could personally fund a 74 episode adaptation of Monster. I love the hell out of this guy. His passion for his work is truly indomitable. I hope this and Pluto are successful and I hope more of these can become full adaptations.

+10000
It's funny because I've been thinking a lot about Maruyama today as I learned more and more about Koji Yamamoto. It's so damn exciting to finally have someone with the creative drive and (apparently at least) enough resources to follow in Maruyama's footsteps.
Now if only we could get that Pluto adaptation (but after today's incredibly promising annoucements that doesn't seem so far-fetched anymore)... now that would be beyond awesome
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
^^^^^^^^
We are actually getting that Pluto anime!!!!!. It was announced this passed summer. Not coincidentally at all, through Maruyama at M2 and Genco. Very Happy
3ngag3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about this Twin Engines company making this series, but I hope they do it justice because Karakuri Circus is a really good and underrated manga.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
I don't know anything about this Twin Engines company making this series, but I hope they do it justice because Karakuri Circus is a really good and underrated manga.

They aren't an animation studio, but rather a production house. If it makes it easier, more comparable to Aniplex, than to Bones or Madhouse. Meaning they won't be directly making the series or the adaptive choices.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^^^^^^^^
We are actually getting that Pluto anime!!!!!. It was announced this passed summer. Not coincidentally at all, through Maruyama at M2 and Genco. Very Happy

Thanks! I was aware of that announcement but it doesn't quite seem to be 100% definitive yet. Sadly, I've seen quite a lot of really promising announcements in the past that got somehow canned and never got made (Despera anyone?)... but really, on a day like this I'm going to be positive and I'm going to trust it will finally get made. We have to believe Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2