• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan Manga Resumes on April 11

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
I wonder what will happen first: Shinichi/Conan finally finds a way to get his old body back, Luffy finds One Piece, or the heat death of the universe?
Chien93

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 am Reply with quote
I was 14 back in 2007 when my friend told me about Conan.
I then marathoned all the episodes and movies that were still on Youtube back then (over 450+) and caught up to the manga.

It's been 11 years and I burnt out around 3 years ago popping in now and then.
Seriously Shonen Sunday, give Aoyama and the fans a break. It's been 24 years since DC premiered, a lot of us just wanna see the series wrap up. (But money, of course)
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:05 am Reply with quote
Chien93 wrote:

Seriously Shonen Sunday, give Aoyama and the fans a break. It's been 24 years since DC premiered, a lot of us just wanna see the series wrap up. (But money, of course)

I always find it kind of odd that a series with a story goal such as what Detective Conan has would run for this long. I can understand stories such as One Piece by Eiichiro Oda lasting for a long time despite having a story goal because with those kinds of stories it's more about the journey then the destination, and it helps that the plot of those stories are not as urgent enough that the protagonist needs to reach it as soon as possible. So as long as they are moving forward towards their goal it's not a problem. With Detective Conan though it does not have that kind of story to warrant being this long of a series.

I have not manage to read all the chapters of Detective Conan (where I last left off I guess would still consider to be the early chapters given the length of this manga series), but from what I read I did enjoy reading of Shinichi solving each case and having fun trying to piece the clues together before the conclusion was reveal. I think if Gosho wanted to just write a series of a detective solving mysteries each week he could pull it off without having this plot that is present in the manga. He has proven to me that he could pull this off. Of course I don't know whether the idea for him to make this series this long was either his or the publishing company he works, or a combination of the two. I am guessing it's most likely the second option given how it's usually the publishing company that decides they want to stretch a series further (despite whether it be a good idea to make a series longer then it should be).

Quote:
Shogakukan announced on Sunday that Gosho Aoyama will resume his Detective Conan manga in this year's 20th issue of Weekly Shonen Sunday on April 11.

Aoyama also assured fans that although Sunday is April Fool's Day, that none of his word in his message are a lie.

Then would it had been better if Gosho and Shogakukan (or more like the latter given that I cam imagine they are the one who decide when to announce things) have waited until the day after April Fools to announce the return of Detective Conan? April Fools' Day does not seem like the best day to make announcements. Even if he did put the disclaimer I guess a part of me thinks there might be people who still would not trust what he said just to keep themselves from being fool on this day.

Well since this was brought up, Happy April Fool's Day everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
At this point Mouri's neck would look like a pub dartboard.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
I enjoy watching a good detective/cop show, but Detective Conan has proceeded for so long without much progress that I eventually checked out of the series. If they ever decided to conclude the series, however, I would most likely tune in. After this many years of production, I'm surprised that the staff doesn't take more breaks.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
At this point Mouri's neck would look like a pub dartboard.
Ha! This is the best comment I've ever read about Detective Conan!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1