• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote

Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan (TV)

Genres: magic

Plot Summary: Straightforward and innocent Hisone Amakasu is a Self-Defense Force rookie stationed at the Air Self-Defense Force's Gifu Base. She struggles with the fact that she sometimes hurts people unintentionally by her innocent words and decides to join the Air Self-Defence Force, hoping to maintain a certain distance from people. This decision leads her to a fateful encounter that profoundly changes her life. Hisone meets the "OTF" dragon hidden in the base, and it chooses Hisone as its pilot. When it soars into the sky with Hisone, her fate as a dragon pilot is decided. It is said that dragons have a key to the future of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Sadly this is a Netflix show so god knows when I'll get a chance to see it legitimately.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Probably a number of things I should talk about this show, like how it reminds me of Nichijou, and has this nice sort of charm with its main character that does not feel bound by how to make her mature or something. But it was the ED that was just so memorizing that I had to comment on it. I think it sounded French, anyway it really got my attention there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

A good episode. And it came from the new characters being introduced, with the topic of one wanting to be a normal pilot to prove herself, because apparently fighter pilots are only men. But she treats her dragon like a thing, before it easily foreseeable explodes out from the stress, and Hisone was working great with these new personalities. A standout is the gloomy character played by Satomi Arai, who is bringing the comedy with her Hata voice.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Cripes, Penguin. As much as you don't want it to be, it's a LIVING CREATURE, you can't treat it like an inanimate object! Why has nobody yelled at her about that, yet?? It's clearly animal abuse!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Oh this episode was good. The brass being aware that love could be in the air for these girls, and trying to interfere, but are clearly doing a terrible job at foreseeing it. Liliko was the star of the episode, that the guy was attempting to use her to get information while insulting her otaku nature that she will be forever alone. But I think also not really thinking that she might not be such a good choice to see if anything is happening. The Liliko version of the ED was gourmet for the ears.

But also trying to set up the other guy to break Hisone's heart, but he really seems to be the one being won over that he will not be able to do that. Some nice comedic timing, especially in the adorkable characters.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7

Oh this episode was good. The brass being aware that love could be in the air for these girls, and trying to interfere, but are clearly doing a terrible job at foreseeing it. Liliko was the star of the episode, that the guy was attempting to use her to get information while insulting her otaku nature that she will be forever alone. But I think also not really thinking that she might not be such a good choice to see if anything is happening. The Liliko version of the ED was gourmet for the ears.

But also trying to set up the other guy to break Hisone's heart, but he really seems to be the one being won over that he will not be able to do that. Some nice comedic timing, especially in the adorkable characters.

I LOVED Morris acting like a middle-aged woman at a Host Club. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

A happy ending, where they managed to somehow avoid the sacrifice that has to be done before. I say happy, but honestly I was not too into this last sprint at the end of the show, where it suddenly got all serious, with all talks of sacrifice and the like, which just was not fun like earlier parts of the show. The show was must better when it was not so big picture, but the things like insecurities so important to individual characters.

The best "chemistry" in the show was certainly with Hisone, and that is in quotations because it was best when Hisone was reacting/interacting with the another person regardless of what they did. Like getting the habit to lick Masotan, plenty of Nao to the point she takes the fake head to talk to, and her dorkiness with Okonogi and zombie movie. A one sided chemistry sounds kind of weird, but it sort of makes me think of Mako from Kill la Kill who went so far to say there was a Ryuko in her head that she has a totally different relationship with. It was charming. My otherwise favourite character was Liliko, what little we got, which is why I was such a fan of episode 7.

I generally had a good time with this, the best bits in feeling like it had its own identity with friendly designs, low-key opening, French ED, and never afraid to be weird. It did have this feeling of confidence in its characters. I give a rating of Good (7/10), it is worth seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1