• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 30 Years Ago: The Most Popular Voice Actors of Yesteryear

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Crazy how Hayashibara was number one a year after she started getting main roles.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
For all the praise that Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju has gotten for its writing, the cast is one of the things that makes me most interested in seeing it. Where else can you find a 21st-century anime starring Akira Ishida, Kouichi Yamadera, and Megumi Hayashibara, where they're not reprising roles they originated years before (Eva, Detective Conan, etc.)?
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Love the old bunch of VAs. Thoroughly superior in all aspects versus their current contemporaries.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Hayashibara I hold in high regard still. Its hard to find anyone on her level, still. her recent return hasn't made huge waves, but I enjoyed how often she appeared in those Animator Training/Mirai/Tamago shorts or whatever they're called now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
For all the praise that Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju has gotten for its writing, the cast is one of the things that makes me most interested in seeing it. Where else can you find a 21st-century anime starring Akira Ishida, Kouichi Yamadera, and Megumi Hayashibara, where they're not reprising roles they originated years before (Eva, Detective Conan, etc.)?

All three maybe not, but any two of them isn't hard. Ishida and Yamadera have major roles in Gintama, Ishida and Hayashibara are both in Rinne as of the third season, and Yamadera and Hayashibara are both in Dragon Dentist. Ishida is still fairly active, appearing in 4 anime just this season.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

If you're saying you haven't watched it yet, you need to stop watching any other show until you finish that series. It's easily one of the best pieces of visual story telling in the last decade or more.

Absolutely love basically everyone listed here. I miss those that don't do much lately or only do roles in long-running childrens shows.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
If you're saying you haven't watched it yet, you need to stop watching any other show until you finish that series.

You could say the same of a lot of things on my to-watch list! The bookshelf next to me has unopened disc cases for Twin Peaks, War in the Pocket, and The Big O, just for starters -- along with The Wire, which I stopped in the middle of the fifth season of on account of Harvey eating my old DVD set.

As for streaming, there's LOTGH, Psycho-Pass, Yamato 2199, The Eccentric Family, Yuri on Ice, A Place Further Than the Universe, Made in Abyss, and again that's just some of the highlights. I've got so much trouble with time management that I only get a handful of anime series watched per year -- I don't know how people who average multiple episodes per day pull it off.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's really interesting how most of the men still have very active careers while most of the women work much less anymore.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Back in the '88 campus-club days, Hayashibara was the FIRST voice we struggling Americans learned to recognize by ear. Granted, with Ranma-chan and Lina (and Video Girl Ai), it was pretty easy.
Kikuko Inoue, obviously, was the second. Anime smile

Harder to recognize the guys, but I'd been watching the early Japanese version of Samurai Pizza Cats, where Kappei Yamaguchi's wiseguy-teen-hero voice was almost indistinguishable from Ranma's, so it was easy.
And if you were an Urusei fan (which you were, if you were into anime in '88-'90), it was hard to hear Akira "Mendou" Kamiya's generic hero voice as Ryo Saeba, but you automatically recognized Shigeru Chiba's hysterical Megane shriek in just about any bit part he played, whether in Ranma 1/2, Dragonball, Dominion, or Yu Yu Hakusho.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
Aww man, everyone is soooooooo young!!! Lookit Mako san~! XDDD This is an absolute treasure! Big props to Sakuma for finding this gem and sharing it with the world.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
It's really interesting how most of the men still have very active careers while most of the women work much less anymore.

It's like that with Hollywood, too. Watch any random season of The Larry Sanders Show, and check out how of the guest stars who "have a new movie coming out in theaters this week" would be recognizable to anyone under 30... way more of the men than the women.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1