• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release Gundam Seed Anime on Blu-ray With Both English Dubs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably be getting the ultra editions of all of these.

I wonder how the seed series are going to be set up on Blu-ray if they're going to contain both dubs? I would think it would have to contain the two different versions of the series.
professorwho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify, on Twitter someone asked if the original dub version will be released separately. It won't. It's exclusive to the Ultra Edition.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I imagine that unless they do seamless branching with the discs they'll probably have to put the original English dub of Gundam Seed on separate discs in which case I don't know why they'd bother with Blu rays except for the fact people are buying the sets for Blu rays, NOT DVDs! On the other hand, have they CONFIRMED the original English dub is being re-released on Blu ray? I think when Escaflowne was re-released by Funimation the original English dub was reissued on DVD in the LE set Kickstarter campaign pre-orders.

They added additional scenes to Gundam Seed in the Japanese Blu ray release which was the whole point of doing a new dub. The series was popular enough to justify the expense of a new English track that would synch up with the extended series.
That's always the issue with re-edits. Past dubs that were done to edited footage just will not synch up with re-edits or uncut footage. Seamless branch works when scenes are added into films after the fact of the original release but we're talking only a few scenes and not cases where there are seconds of footage deleted for compliance with broadcast S&P.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Guess they changed their mind about GGundam? Pretty sure they said before it wasn't going to get an Ultra Edition
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in both Ultra Editions, but I was kind of hoping they'd announce a BD release for War in the Pocket. Well, maybe next year, along with Gundam X.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I imagine that unless they do seamless branching with the discs they'll probably have to put the original English dub of Gundam Seed on separate discs in which case I don't know why they'd bother with Blu rays except for the fact people are buying the sets for Blu rays, NOT DVDs! On the other hand, have they CONFIRMED the original English dub is being re-released on Blu ray? I think when Escaflowne was re-released by Funimation the original English dub was reissued on DVD in the LE set Kickstarter campaign pre-orders.

They added additional scenes to Gundam Seed in the Japanese Blu ray release which was the whole point of doing a new dub. The series was popular enough to justify the expense of a new English track that would synch up with the extended series.
That's always the issue with re-edits. Past dubs that were done to edited footage just will not synch up with re-edits or uncut footage. Seamless branch works when scenes are added into films after the fact of the original release but we're talking only a few scenes and not cases where there are seconds of footage deleted for compliance with broadcast S&P.

Or they may keep the added scenes with Japanese audio and subs even for the old dub. While it would be weird for the flow of the show, it seems like the easiest approach for me, to be honest.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited about the new SEED dub, I just wish it was coming out this year. Hopefully January or February at least.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
Guess they changed their mind about GGundam? Pretty sure they said before it wasn't going to get an Ultra Edition

The sheer reaction G Gundam's OP got during the Otakon panel it was announced at last year definitely showed Shawne Kleckner that he might have underestimated G Gundam's popularity, so I'm more than happy that he & Right Stuf decided to go with the Ultra Edition treatment. I'm definitely going to be pre-ordering this.
NOGI48

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
G Gundam for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
A new dub? Nice. The original dub was awful. Do we know who’s cast yet?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ah so entire GS series will be release in 2 sets of dubs aka original & re-dub ok then at least still keep both.

Give still recall watch & hear original dub during past 14 years at least it coming back.

Yet release two sets of dubs make even wonder if could did combine mix of originals & new voices of HD-enhance version.

At least still bit calm keep original dub in own set while new dub in own set.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I opted out of Right Stuf's Wing box set because I already had it on DVD, but since I never picked up Seed back when it was coming out in single volumes, I could see myself being tempted into spending "ultra edition" money on this release.

(I don't really have any particular emotional attachment to G, though, beyond owning some nice SD kits from the show.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty cool. Wonder how they're going to include it.

Lord Geo wrote:
Sorraffy wrote:

The sheer reaction G Gundam's OP got during the Otakon panel it was announced at last year definitely showed Shawne Kleckner that he might have underestimated G Gundam's popularity, so I'm more than happy that he & Right Stuf decided to go with the Ultra Edition treatment. I'm definitely going to be pre-ordering this.

Yeah, this is great, I'll get both in Ultra Edition, just like Wing and 00 so far.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Seed had two dubs?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Seed had two dubs?

The newest Japanese Blurays made a fair number of changes / additions. Trying to sync up the old English dub to the current version of the show results in some problems, and a decision was made to record a brand new dub instead of trying to get all of the original English voice actors back to record the changed material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3