• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Home Video Release Details for Free! Anime Films, ReLIFE OVA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Pop Team Epic comes out in October?! That's a pretty quick turn around since the series just ended 3 months ago. And it comes out in 3 months! Crazy! I hope there's a special edition!

Glad to see the Free! Films are getting a box set, and nice to see the Hosoda films get a new release as a box set, tho wonder if they'll leave space for Mirai Of The Future? At least I've got the Hosoda collection sets, which are pretty nice.

-Marc.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Finally nice to see that Witch Hunter Robin is getting a re-release! While I have the complete series already, it just makes me happy to see it being re-released for more people to enjoy.

I'll be looking into that Hosoda films set, though. I have The Girl Who Leapt Through Time already, but on DVD. I'd safely assume these would be Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray/DVD combos, so I'd be fine with buying it and double-dip on the one movie.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The Witch Hunter Robin re-release is honestly what excites me the most about this.

I really liked it back in the day, and so many of my friends haven’t seen it, or even knew it existed. Time to correct that.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess the only thing we know about Witch Hunter Robin is the release date? They didn't mention a format?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I guess the only thing we know about Witch Hunter Robin is the release date? They didn't mention a format?
I'd assume it's DVD-only until/unless we hear otherwise. Afaik, there's no Blu-Rays in Japan, and it's anybody's guess whether Funi will be allowed to do their own upscale like with Wolf's Rain. I guess we'll find out whether Witch Hunter Robin is still popular enough for Funi to go through the necessary legal and techincal processes to do BDs for this early-00s SD-digipaint series. SD Blu-Ray could be in option, though Funi hasn't dabbled in that format yet.

Though like many who have the old Bandai releases, I'd rather stick with their older "26 on 6" format than go to the modern "26 on 4." After all, WHR and its copious dark scenes are fertile ground for banding and other video artifacts, and the less compression, the better.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Glad to see the Free! Films are getting a box set, and nice to see the Hosoda films get a new release as a box set, tho wonder if they'll leave space for Mirai Of The Future? At least I've got the Hosoda collection sets, which are pretty nice.

That would be impossible for Funimation, seeing as GKids already owns the master license to MIRAI.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Dude if someone hasn't watched or bought witch hunter robin as this point they never will.

This series has been released on singles, a box set, and one or two rereleases in brick format, and as far as I know none of them are super expensive or hard to get. So no, Funimation isnt doing anyone any favors, unless this is a blu ray release which seems unlikely.

I always love these, "Im glad people can know enjoy x" comments. Why? Because they are too stupid or lazy to take ten seconds on ebay to find them for a comparable or cheaper price? Yes good job funimation, instead of releasing things properly (Rezero or Tsugmomo) or releasing something new. Just rerelease the same show again for the 15th time and get a high five from intellectually declined.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
Great to have a date for the Free! release, love that it's a boxed set. I've read about Witch Hunter Robin but never watched it so might give that a try as well.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Well, seems like I'll be importing ReLIFE now. Happy to see that Funi got the OVAs. Don't think the original TV series was released for disc over here.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I always love these, "Im glad people can know enjoy x" comments. Why? Because they are too stupid or lazy to take ten seconds on ebay to find them for a comparable or cheaper price? Yes good job funimation, instead of releasing things properly (Rezero or Tsugmomo) or releasing something new. Just rerelease the same show again for the 15th time and get a high five from intellectually declined.

It's part of a package deal with Sunrise from many years ago. They might as well put something out. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be about price. I'm sure there are some who would prefer to buy a new copy over a used one.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Pop Team Epic comes out in October?! That's a pretty quick turn around since the series just ended 3 months ago. And it comes out in 3 months! Crazy! I hope there's a special edition!

-Marc.

While it is nice PTE gets a quicker boxset vs. the standard 12-16 months from the Japanese premiere date, how good of quality it will be is a valid concern.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
SD Blu-Ray could be in option, though Funi hasn't dabbled in that format yet.

I really wish they did already, it would have made their DVD-only titles like Lodoss War TV & Mach GoGoGo 97 less frustrating, especially since for the latter, Japan went with their own SD Blu-ray release prior to FUNi's awful head set coming out.

Then there's the SD BDs Japan is doing with Tenchi Universe & Tokyo (along with Pretty Sammy & Dual), is FUNi really going to keep those two on DVD as long as they have them?
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
I really wish they did already, it would have made their DVD-only titles like Lodoss War TV & Mach GoGoGo 97 less frustrating, especially since for the latter, Japan went with their own SD Blu-ray release prior to FUNi's awful head set coming out.

Then there's the SD BDs Japan is doing with Tenchi Universe & Tokyo (along with Pretty Sammy & Dual), is FUNi really going to keep those two on DVD as long as they have them?
I really don't see the big deal between DVD and Blu-Ray
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
And with that the Free! movie box set and the ReLIFE OVA DVDs are added to my wish list!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1