Forum - View topic
NEWS: Joshi Kausei Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime in 2019


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 11643
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
While I don't watch a lot of them, I do like reading about silent movies. For an anime like this, it seems like it will be a silent anime with sound effects. If they make a live-action and/or animated movie (for any story) where the only sounds are sound effects and occasional music, that would a semi-silent film.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 4791
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
So there's no dialogue text of this whatsoever. Now I'm curious whether the anime will be a full-length or a short (I'm betting on the latter). I'd imagine subbing and dubbing this to be relatively less burdening, right? The voice cast would still be making sounds like gasping or background noises.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 11643
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I classify silent movies into 4 categories. These categories apply to the way the films were released in during their theatrical premiere in both wide and limited releases.

1. Truly silent movie that has no sound at all in the original theatrical release, including music/sound effects.
2. Semi-silent films are where there no dialogue sound but there is music/sound effects.
3. "Mute" Partial-talkies has occasional dialogue scattered throughout the film but there is no music/sound effects.
4. "Sound" partial-talkies has occasional dialogue scattered throughout the film, as well as music/sound effects.

-From its Wikipedia entry: "Sound-on-disc is a class of sound film processes using a phonograph or other disc to record or play back sound in sync with a motion picture."

The first part-talkie feature-length film to use this was "The Jazz Singer" (released 8/6/1927), which was actually a partial talkie. The first all-talkie feature length sound-on-disc film was "Lights of New York". Counting the Wikipedia page of "Lights of New York (1928 film)" and warnerbros.com/lights-new-york, the premiere dates are listed as 7/6, 7/18, or 7/21.

-From its Wikipedia entry: "Sound-on-film is a class of sound film processes where the sound accompanying picture is physically recorded onto photographic film, usually, but not always, the same strip of film carrying the picture."

The first part-talkie feature-length film to use this format might be Fox Film Corp.'s "The Air Circus"(premiered 9/30/1928). The first all-talkie feature-length film to use this format might be Fox Film Corp.'s "In Old Arizona" (premiered 1/29/1929).

Note: the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, British Film Institute, and American Film Institute consider a movie "feature length" when it's at least 40 minutes long, as compared to the Screen Actors Guild saying a movie is "feature length" when it's at least 80 minutes.

Thus, I would imagine that this manga series and its upcoming anime version fall under #2 on that classification list. Thus, any Eng. dubbing should be very easy. Heck, complaining about which voice was more appropriate in terms of using sound effects/background noises would be a very niche point in the sub vs. dub debate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tai92



Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The concept does sound interesting however, I'm not saying anything thing negative about the show but, it seems like most anime shows that come out now center mostly female characters. I know there are some anime shows that centers males coming out too. Just my opinion it just gets tiring seeing new anime announcements about all or mostly female centered shows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DerekL1963
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 14 Jan 2015
Posts: 619
Location: Puget Sound
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading this on Crunchy ever since it came out. Joshi Kausei could make a fun little short if they don't overdo it... And I hope they don't play up the fan-servicey bits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tomdean



Joined: 22 Jan 2018
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Tai92 wrote:
new anime announcements about all or mostly female centered shows.


It's because female centred animes sell. In my opinion most male lead characters are either asexual bumbling clowns(it's only fine if it's a built-in character flaw) or the only talent the lead has is he gets powered up conveniently, it gets old very quickly.

I can't remember finding many male leads interesting. For example, Hachiman Hikigaya is an interesting one, Satou Kazuma is another, but besides them, not too many around.

Of course female characters are the same way, but as the caption says, "who needs words when you're that cute?". If it's all the same, I'd rather look at cute girls doing cute things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
donhumberto



Joined: 19 Jan 2017
Posts: 315
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
Tai92 wrote:
new anime announcements about all or mostly female centered shows.


It's because female centred animes sell. In my opinion most male lead characters are either asexual bumbling clowns(it's only fine if it's a built-in character flaw) or the only talent the lead has is he gets powered up conveniently, it gets old very quickly.

I can't remember finding many male leads interesting. For example, Hachiman Hikigaya is an interesting one, Satou Kazuma is another, but besides them, not too many around.

Of course female characters are the same way, but as the caption says, "who needs words when you're that cute?". If it's all the same, I'd rather look at cute girls doing cute things.

Newsflash: some of us actually watch series for their plot, character development, artstyle, music... without taking into consideration whether the characters are "cute" (I fail to see how those noseless, huge-eyed girls that sound like they are 4 years old are any cute at all, tbh). Baffling, huh?
Sadly, a big part of the otaku fandom seems way more interested in finding their next 2d waifu than anything else hence we get this seemingly endless flood of shows of moe girls doing whatever... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heishi



Joined: 06 Mar 2016
Posts: 733
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Now this might be something worth checking out, since the concept does sound interesting!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RangerDanger



Joined: 25 May 2018
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Sadly, a big part of the otaku fandom seems way more interested in finding their next 2d waifu than anything else hence we get this seemingly endless flood of shows of moe girls doing whatever... Rolling Eyes

This part specifically is what I don’t get. You’re on a forum about a cute girls show ranting about them when it appears that you already don’t like them because? That seems more counterproductive to your argument and overall comes off as saying that the people who watch these type of shows only watch it for one thing, which is not true. Generalizing like this is not helpful in any way shape or form and makes you sound like you’re simply whining. The person that you responded to could have explained their position better, but this part of your post looks like you saw it more as an opportunity to go after the genre than anything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tai92



Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
tomdean wrote:
Tai92 wrote:
new anime announcements about all or mostly female centered shows.


It's because female centred animes sell. In my opinion most male lead characters are either asexual bumbling clowns(it's only fine if it's a built-in character flaw) or the only talent the lead has is he gets powered up conveniently, it gets old very quickly.

I can't remember finding many male leads interesting. For example, Hachiman Hikigaya is an interesting one, Satou Kazuma is another, but besides them, not too many around.

Of course female characters are the same way, but as the caption says, "who needs words when you're that cute?". If it's all the same, I'd rather look at cute girls doing cute things.


Yeah cute girls do sell lol I don't hate the genre I do find some of the shows good (azumanga daioh and K-on being my favourites) Though I wouldn't mind seeing some more shows like cromartie high school or daily life of high school boys sometimes ☺
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1120
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Tai92 wrote:
The concept does sound interesting however, I'm not saying anything thing negative about the show but, it seems like most anime shows that come out now center mostly female characters. I know there are some anime shows that centers males coming out too. Just my opinion it just gets tiring seeing new anime announcements about all or mostly female centered shows


What about those countless boring self-insert/harem shows, their overused tropes and ridiculous amount of fanservice? As much as I like fanservice, these shows of today are seriously bland and unoriginal. I prefer CGDCT because most of them do not have have dating simulation feel.

tomdean wrote:
It's because female centred animes sell. In my opinion most male lead characters are either asexual bumbling clowns(it's only fine if it's a built-in character flaw) or the only talent the lead has is he gets powered up conveniently, it gets old very quickly.

Of course female characters are the same way, but as the caption says, "who needs words when you're that cute?". If it's all the same, I'd rather look at cute girls doing cute things.


Well spot on. This "X cute/beautiful/sexy girls and one self-insert/harem/mentor/romance guy" archetype is not just getting stale but getting annoying too. I do not know why series like Uma Musume and Hanebado still follow this when pure "girls doing things" is on the rise. Little Witch Academia tried to pure some forced hetero romance trash and look what happened to it in the end. Shut down because even the staff knew it was a mistake. I welcome series like Revue Starlight and Release the Spyce because they very much defined what CGDCT should be.

donhumberto wrote:
Newsflash: some of us actually watch series for their plot, character development, artstyle, music... without taking into consideration whether the characters are "cute" (I fail to see how those noseless, huge-eyed girls that sound like they are 4 years old are any cute at all, tbh). Baffling, huh?
Sadly, a big part of the otaku fandom seems way more interested in finding their next 2d waifu than anything else hence we get this seemingly endless flood of shows of moe girls doing whatever... Rolling Eyes


I would rather have moe girls doing whatever than moe girls pleasing some male loser. And just because there is plot does not mean it is automatically good. There are people who prefer shows with little plot and that are about daily lives of the characters AKA slice of life. Maybe you should look around and find out firsthand why such shows with "noseless, huge-eyed girls that sound like they are 4 years old" sell. Rolling Eyes

As for this show, the idea of being a silent anime sounds like it will not work. It has a better chance of being a short anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RangerDanger



Joined: 25 May 2018
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
^When one’s entire argument towards someone critiquing a genre is “Well, this other one is worse,” that’s when eyebrows get raised. Are you seriously suggesting that the all girls genre is completely original and free of tropes? That it sounds like you would want a whole different genre that has nothing to do with this announcement to disappear while completely disregarding the fans of said genre? Do you really go out of your way to trash something you don’t even like when it has done nothing to you? That’s sad, man. Especially when both genres are doing just fine, both have good and bad points, and neither are a candidate for what some may think to be “ruining anime.” If I may offer some advice, show some empathy once in a while or else people are going to not take you seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarthKoopa



Joined: 08 Apr 2012
Posts: 176
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
I wonder who the voice cast will be
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Hayabusa



Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 1120
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
RangerDanger wrote:
^When one’s entire argument towards someone critiquing a genre is “Well, this other one is worse,” that’s when eyebrows get raised. Are you seriously suggesting that the all girls genre is completely original and free of tropes? That it sounds like you would want a whole different genre that has nothing to do with this announcement to disappear while completely disregarding the fans of said genre? Do you really go out of your way to trash something you don’t even like when it has done nothing to you? That’s sad, man. Especially when both genres are doing just fine, both have good and bad points, and neither are a candidate for what some may think to be “ruining anime.” If I may offer some advice, show some empathy once in a while or else people are going to not take you seriously.


Maybe you should realize that years ago, self-insert works (mostly harem, isekai, and idol) had been one of the bigger markets in Japan. However, a lot of questionable factors (fanservice, generic tropes, creepy male otaku) also had it made the country look bad from other countries. I honestly do not blame Yamakan for ranting about the otaku people. All girls genre is not completely original. It is just that it feels like a breath of fresh air. Self-insert has been so overused for more than a decade, it is hard to find anything that stands out from it. And unlike self-insert, all girls series is more acceptable worldwide because the series having it are clearly more than just escapism and girls simply being cute. Not to mention that the people here are not as amused with truckloads of generic harem and isekai works as they were in the past few years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spastic Minnow
Bargain HunterBargain Hunter


Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 3742
Location: Central Florida
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading it on Crunchyroll too and have considered how it would do as an anime. The girls definitely come off as cute and charming in a way perfect for anime sensibilities. Although, the main girl in particular can also come off as obliviously sexy too- which is also an appeal for the series. You can't take out the fan service. The sequences where she interacts with a certain young office worker are some of the best issues.

Definitely a short. 5 minute shots would work pretty well. Like the recent Crossing Time series.

But it's not as unique of a comic concept as you may think. Sometimes referred to as "mime comics," Sergio Aragones (who has studied mime) has been doing it for Mad Magazine and other places for over 50 years, often in the page margins. You can also look to the other well-known Mad feature Spy vs. Spy for another example.

Joshi Kausei sometimes has problems with the concept. It can't quite grasp speaking in symbols and gestures like other silent comics can. So when the characters DO talk to each other (and they do so often) it comes off as awkward. It's not so much "mime" as "muted," and harder to comprehend. And when they do speak in symbols it's sometimes too explicit... like you get a word balloon with a picture of an ice cream cone and you think "You might as well have said it."

I worry it's going to be worse in animated form.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group