• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS, Shout! Factory to Release 'Night is Short, Walk on Girl' Anime Film on January 29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping Netflix or Prime or somebody picks this up for streaming. I really hate blind buying stuff, even when it comes as well recommended as this does.
Nephry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this movie. I ended up going with a group of friends (some who haven't seen a lot of anime), and we still joke about "experiencing" [with a little sarcasm] this movie together (the fire nabe and Sophist Dance come up pretty often).

Anyway, it felt like watching someone tell a completely improbable story or inside joke that only they could really understand the full meaning of, but somehow being pulled along for the ride anyway. I'm very excited for the home video release.
Duelist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Do we have any idea if they are dubbing this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
loveliver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Duelist wrote:

This is a sub-only release... a first for GKids.
Xe4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
Duelist wrote:

Well, that's not entirely true. They've released a few French films subtitled only, such as Approved for Adoption or A Town Called Panic. Mind Game was also sub only, though that was an older release so its not really the same thing.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
Duelist wrote:

Ocean Waves, the Ghibli television film, is also sub-only.

There were a number of Japanese films GKids hasn't dubbed because they didn't think the sales would justify dubbing. Mind Game, directed by the same director of Night is Short, Walk on Girl, is also sub-only. Mind Game and Night is Short are very experimental films in nature and probably have a more limited potential audience. Lu Over the Wall, also directed by Masaaki Yuasa, did get an English dub but I'm suspecting the nature of the story and its familiar myth (mermaids) to Western audiences made it a better sales prospect and justified the dub in the minds of the GKids producers.

I've seen 2 of those 3 Yuasa films and Lu Over the Wall would definitely be more palatable to broader audiences and is a kid-friendly film. I wouldn't call Night is Short an overly adult film but the drinking and hallucinogenic sequences are probably going to keep people from showing this to their kids let alone buying it! I'm thinking GKids might want to rethink the company label if they're going to license and exhibit films like Night is Short and Perfect Blue!

Couldn't tell you why they didn't dub Ocean Waves despite that being a Ghibli film. Every other Ghibli film, even the ones not directed by either of the Miyazakis or Takahata, received dubs.

Most of the Ghibli films that GKids screened (that were NOT licensed and released by Disney in the US previously = From Up on Poppy Hill, When Marnie Was There, Only Yesterday, The Tale of Princess Kaguya,) were dubbed. Ocean Waves is the only Ghibli release that I'm aware that WASN'T dubbed but got a US release. Only Yesterday was dubbed by GKids, previously sub-only through Disney but never formally released on home video by Disney in the US.

By the way, at least three of the Ghibli films had previous English dubs done by other companies there weren't Disney or GKids. My Neighbor Totoro (Troma -- yes, THAT Troma!/Carl Macek), Kiki's Delivery Service, and Castle in the Sky had alternate dubs that were not included on the Disney or GKids home video releases. Ghibli wouldn't allow those dubs to be included on the video releases to my knowledge (and what was said in a Facebook post by a GKids rep). That's despite Totoro selling tens of thousands of copies across laserdisc, VHS, and DVD for nearly 20 years prior to Disney doing their own dub to that film AND all 3 films appearing on Japanese laserdisc with the original English dubs!
The Secret of Arriety had an alternate English dub with British actors that paralleled the American English/Disney dub. That alternate dub was only packed in along with the Disney dub with the special edition Japanese home video release of The Secret of Arriety. In the US, we're only getting the Disney version (along with the original Japanese audio; I would have liked to have heard the British track since it IS a British childrens story just like Mary and the Witch's Flower was).
Likewise, there's the infamous "Warriors of the Wind" dub done for the extremely edited version of Nausicaa, Warrior of the Wind which will probably never see the light of day again on home video as long as Hayao Miyazaki lives!
After what happened with Nausicaa, it's understandable why Ghibli tightly controls the quality of what gets released and doesn't allow editing on its feature films. That said, I'm puzzled by why Totoro was re-dubbed. I've got the original English dub and it was fine. The only bad thing you can say is that the original video release in the US was cropped but Totoro itself was only a 1.85:1 aspect ratio film, hardly the widest screen format out there!
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

By the way, at least three of the Ghibli films had previous English dubs done by other companies there weren't Disney or GKids. My Neighbor Totoro (Troma -- yes, THAT Troma!/Carl Macek), Kiki's Delivery Service, and Castle in the Sky had alternate dubs that were not included on the Disney or GKids home video releases. Ghibli wouldn't allow those dubs to be included on the video releases to my knowledge (and what was said in a Facebook post by a GKids rep). That's despite Totoro selling tens of thousands of copies across laserdisc, VHS, and DVD for nearly 20 years prior to Disney doing their own dub to that film AND all 3 films appearing on Japanese laserdisc with the original English dubs!

I recall Disney wanted to include the older Macek dub of Totoro on their releases, but Fox Video seemed to own the US release rights to it indefinitely. Disney felt it was more worthwhile just to make a new dub from scratch. Not sure about Kiki and Laputa's dubs.
Quote:

The Secret of Arriety had an alternate English dub with British actors that paralleled the American English/Disney dub. That alternate dub was only packed in along with the Disney dub with the special edition Japanese home video release of The Secret of Arriety. In the US, we're only getting the Disney version (along with the original Japanese audio; I would have liked to have heard the British track since it IS a British childrens story just like Mary and the Witch's Flower was).

GKids also looked into acquiring the UK dub but were denied by Ghibli. Compared to the US dub, it's more faithful to the British origins of the source material but as far as dubs go some of the performances are subpar compared to the US one.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
Duelist wrote:

Crap.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Nephry wrote:
I really enjoyed this movie. I ended up going with a group of friends (some who haven't seen a lot of anime), and we still joke about "experiencing" [with a little sarcasm] this movie together (the fire nabe and Sophist Dance come up pretty often).

I took a few friends (who haven't seen much anime) to see it, too, and we all enjoyed it! I'll definitely get this release, so I can show even more friends. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1