• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Premiere Beyblade Burst Turbo Anime This Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
No surprise there! (to me anyways.)
Hopefully CINEDIGM gets the home video rights to Burst & Burst Evolution.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
No surprise there.

It turns out that kids' anime isn't really successful unless it's an action series based on a toy line or video game aimed at pre-teen boys (i.e. Beyblade, Pokémon). But if it's a kid-aimed comedy series like Yo-kai Watch or Doraemon, it's bound to not catch on outside of Japan.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
CornBreadMan264 wrote:
Hopefully CINEDIGM gets the home video rights to Burst & Burst Evolution.

That would be pretty cool.

CastMember1991 wrote:
It turns out that kids' anime isn't really successful unless it's an action series based on a toy line or video game aimed at pre-teen boys (i.e. Beyblade, Pokémon). But if it's a kid-aimed comedy series like Yo-kai Watch or Doraemon, it's bound to not catch on outside of Japan.

Indeed. It's pretty much why Doraemon hasn't returned for a 3rd season on Disney X-D. Yo-Kai Watch has done quite well for them, but they may not get any more comedy-centric kids anime unless another juggernaut show of that kind dominates Japan.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
There is a surprise, in that despite the show seemingly being a success, Sunrights decided to cheap out on production. They ditched Ocean after 102 episodes for a non-union Bang Zoom dub.

The first mainline Beyblade show not dubbed in Canada ...
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Yo-Kai Watch has done quite well for them.

Not enough for Level-5 to keep the original cast from the games in the TV show. They had to change the entire voice cast for the 3rd season in order to cut costs. The franchise was a big hit with gamers and otaku, but unfortunately wasn't commercially viable. It came at a pretty awkward time, right before the release of Pokémon GO for smartphones as well as Sun and Moon for the 3DS. So, it never really built the kind of fanbase it could've had.

I have a feeling they're going to discontinue the Yo-kai Watch TV show after the 3rd season. I also think if and when Shadowside comes to the US, that will be the show that will finally make the franchise popular in the west, much like how Dragon Ball Z made the Dragon Ball franchise popular in America. It's much darker than the original show, and would be the perfect fit for Toonami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1