• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 am Reply with quote

Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: magical girl, military

Plot Summary: Three years ago, alien invaders ravaged the Earth–until they were defeated by a group of young women blessed with powers from a mysterious source. The girls went back to their normal lives after vanquishing the ghastly monsters, but that time of peace is about to end. The same malevolent creatures have resurfaced, which means it’s time for the Magical Girl Special Ops force to head back to the battlefront and defend mankind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So it looks like this takes place after a bloody supernatural war, where young girls were made into magical girls to act as the aces. And rather than be able to naturally return to peace, they are now being used as pieces for more human threats, it being taken for granted that they are the ones with power to make change, and ignoring that these kids are traumatized and used as soldiers. Wouldn't be surprised if it looks like magic and magical girls are being used for evil, where some are misusing their abilities, maybe power trips that act as a double edge to the being expected to fight. Will kind of hope that there is some dimension, such as maybe they think that they are doing something good, and there be some caution about getting too much power without the introspection of how it should be used, and problems solved. Their run ins with cutesy magical beasts involved a lot of bloody death, and everything could just look like a nail for their hammers.

At least the glasses girl was not killed in the first episode, although still feel pretty bad for the main character in what she has to face.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

The last bit was mostly a tying up of loose ends so fast, with mention that the villains still had a plan in motion. I guess they apparently reformed the magical girls they captured, using things like torture and stuff, the scary things War Nurse can do. War Nurse was kind of one of the more interesting characters, her not really being a good guy because she does things like torture, that she turns the nurse thing on its head, and does whatever is needed to win. And also having the troubled past of being bullied, and lesbian in love with Asuka.

The serries was pretty okay, but it also feels like it was missing some kind of spark, that it could be more than that, other than the setting itself. It did have an interesting take on the dark magical girl genre that has made a rounds, and do things like making the sometimes whimsical magical creatures look like nightmare fuel. Also having an identity of its own, as I can't really think of much else that had magical girls as being part of the military.

I give it a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1