• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (TV)

Genres: action, drama, magic, psychological, science fiction
Themes: conspiracy, mecha, military, mind control, politics, real robot, revenge, strategic minds, tragedy, war

Plot Summary: It's been one year since the failure of the Black Rebellion and the supposed death of Zero. Britannia has assigned Area 11 a "correctional education" status, where Elevens are made an example of by brute force, to try to prevent any future uprisings and suppress rebellious thoughts. Unsuspecting high school student Lelouch, oblivious to his rebellious past as Zero, stumbles upon a scheme on his life and the life of a mysterious woman known as C.C., who reveals to him his forgotten purpose and his "true" self. Destroying his assailants and declaring himself Zero once again, Lelouch sets out to finish what he started.
----------------------------------

Changed the title to reflect the end of the broadcast, and to differentiate it from the English-language broadcast of the same season in a month or so.]

The intention of this thread is to discuss Code Geass R2, which starts airing this weekend.

It will also provide a place to discuss each episode as they are released.

Please, follow all the forum rules, which are found HERE. I feel silly mentioning it, but better safe than sorry.

And be careful of the spoilers, okay? That means, apply spoiler tags where appropriate, and in a responsible way. On the other hand, stop reading if you are extremely sensitive to spoilers. I put this notice in as a considerate reminder to everyone, and also to spare the moderators of having to do so themselves.

Code Geass Encyclopaedia Entry.

Code Geass R2 Encyclopaedia Entry.

The full Wikipedia article for R2 can be found HERE. This is the preamble:

Wikipedia wrote:
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 is the sequel and second season to the Sunrise TV anime series Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. Directed by Gorō Taniguchi and written by Ichirō Ōkouchi, the series features character designs by the noted all-female mangaka group, Clamp.

Slated to air across Japan on MBS and TBS from April 6, 2008, on the network's Sunday 17:00 timeblock, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 is the first example of a late night anime series broadcast by TBS that has had its sequel airing at a prime time block and will also be broadcast in high-definition.

Well, with the first season of Gundam 00 over, it is time for the second season of Code Geass. Having been captivated by the first season, I am a guaranteed viewer for the second. I am such a fan, I have decided to dedicate my very first thread to it.

Now, as the article has stated, at the moment we will have to wait almost a week to watch the first episode, but I thought that until then we can discuss our expectations. I personally will use as few spoilers as possible, as no doubt many are just rumours. If anyone else wishes to, please use spoiler tags, and before the tags say what your spoiler generally pertains to. I will also spoiler tag any events from the last season, though I admit to not knowing if this is necessary.

Alright, to recap from last season's infamous cliffhanger, spoiler[Lelouch and Suzaku were aiming their guns at each other, with a shocked Karen looking on. Lelouch also had a Sakuradite bomb strapped to himself, which would detonate if his heart stopped, and Suzaku knew this. Lelouch and Suzaku both give a yell, and then a gunshot...... I don't think that Lelouch or Suzaku died. They are too important. And remember, Suzaku was under the power of the Geass. If he killed Lelouch, then the bomb would detonate, and he would die too. As the Geass will force him to live, I do not see how he could shoot to kill Lelouch. As to whether or not Lelouch shot Suzaku, I don't think he could shoot to kill, either. He would know about the Geass he placed on Suzaku, and I would hope he is still sane enough to avoid killing his once best friend. However, I would not be surprised if they both suffered flesh wounds in the limbs.]

A lot of other things happened in the last two episodes. spoiler[Nunnally had been kidnapped by the newly introduced V.V. (V2). The Order of the Black Knights, without their leader, were losing against Britannia's forces. C.C. (C2), inside the Gawain, was sinking to the bottom of the sea. Cornelia was injured, and lying on rubble. Euphemia was dead. Nina was threatening to detonate a Sakuradite-enhanced nuclear bomb.]

As to what happened afterwards to them, spoiler[and anything Karen did or might have said, I do not know. Also, what was the fate of the rest of the Black Knights? They were losing, and I hope they managed to get away. Of course, that would mean hiding somewhere to await the return of Zero, or integrating back into civilian life. I wonder if they hold a grudge against Zero for abandoning them like that. I know I would.]

I have no idea why spoiler[V2 wanted Nunnally. Was it merely to distract Lelouch, or is she important in another way? I have the feeling that she is capable of utilising the Geass (as seen in the Nightmare of Nunnally alternative-world Manga), but this is mere speculation. I do hope though that she was released after the battle. Lelouch would likely go insane if she went missing for all that time.]

Finally, we all know by now that spoiler[C2 is nearly immortal. She can be shot in the head, and survive. She doesn't age, either. Drowning? I find that hard to believe. While we do not know how far her immortality extends, it is not her time to die. That is my opinion, but I hope people agree with that. After all, I want to learn what her real name is. So if she is alive, what has she been doing? Living with Lelouch again? Searching for a new Geass candidate? Still at the bottom of the sea, waiting to be revived?] Only time will tell.

So many questions. I just hope that the series deigns to answer them all in the first episode (unreasonable, but I can hope).

That about does it for me, at least for now. May the new season live up to the old. If it does, then we are in for an incredible ride.

[EDIT: Making this the "official" thread of the second season. -TK]

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
The thing I really want to know isspoiler["what is C.C.'s real name?", although it's probably one of those things that will always remain a mystery. And also, what was up Nina and where'd she get the idea to make a bomb? What happened to C.C. after sinking into the ocean?] The second season sure has a lot to live up to and plenty of cliffhangers from the first season to resolve.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 Spoilers
spoiler[I've only read summaries but I love the parallels between the first episode here and the first from season 1, even with the episode titles.

Code Geass - The day the fiend was born
Code Geass R2 - The day the fiend awakened]

What I'm hoping for (minor character spoilers)
spoiler[I really really hope that Goro Taniguchi makes Li Xingke (Hikaru Midorikawa) and Gino Weinberg (Souichiro Hoshi) have an epic confrontation/fight. Those two were Ryuhou and Kazuma (god I love that episode 25 fight when it's just hand to hand, no alters) respectively from a past Goro Taniguchi series, Scryed. I'm sure he won't let down us Scryed fans since Orange Kun in episode 25 is a driect nod to Kazuma with his alter.

Also I'm curious to see what they do with Cornelia and I really hope that Schneizel plays a much bigger role this season. He was the only one to ever beat Lelouch in chess as a kid, he is the second prince.

Oh yeah new look Nina is surprise...]

Really looking forward to seeing this in motion, though I'm disappointed that the ending stills is drawn by CLAMP, I would've preferred Takahiro Kimura to be doing the ED stills again since I loved his drawings from Season 1 as well as Gun X Sword.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Here's the OP

it's called O2 and sung by orange range (IIRC they sung the first leach Intro)

I'm really looking forward to this one, I wonder if spoiler[Lelouche's power will evolve again this season and if so how it will change]

I also wonder how spoiler[Suzaku's "live" Geass will continue to affect hi9m]
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Is there any doubt that C.C's Season 2 outfit > Season 1? OP sounds alright, I'm sure it will be better with the opening animation. Still I doubt it will surpass the 2nd OP theme from CG1. (I needed to listen to the full version of this song before I got into it, now I can't stop listening to it)

I wonder if they will go all out on the opening (Like the 2nd 00 OP) or just animate it good so they can chop and change a lot of things in the op which Taniguchi seems to love to do in his shows.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
CG Opening one was a personal favorite
CG opening two on the other hand, I wasn't very fond of

but I think the new one is somewhere in the middle

on topic:
I heard there will be amnesia involved so we (probably) won't know exactly what happened at the end of R1 for a while
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
My main concern is the brother that pops out of nowhere. I hope there is some explanation or something at least remotely logical to go with it other than we need more people to drive the story, considering I thought the cast was pretty loaded as it was.

In any case, let's see what happens. This really could go either way really fast because of how they chose to end the first season.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

on topic:
I heard there will be amnesia involved so we (probably) won't know exactly what happened at the end of R1 for a while

I will be quite disappointed if they used the spoiler[amnesia plot as an excuse for Lelouch's inactivity for the past year,] not only it's overdone, but Taniguchi already used it for spoiler[Villeta.]

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
I liked both OPs of the first season a lot, I don't know about this one yet. It seems catchy, but I guess I would rather have a song that can stand on it's own, much like Colors, the first OP.

Anyhow, I strongly believe spoiler[Lelouch's amnesia will be used as an excuse for his inactivity.]It's Sunrise, so I don't expect anything less. I don't even know if they will show us the events ocurring after the cliffhanger completely, I mean, they pretty much wrote themselves into a hole there. I believe there will be a lot of unsuspected things that don't make a lot of sense so they can explain at least something...in a way.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

on topic:

I will be quite disappointed if they used the spoiler[amnesia plot as an excuse for Lelouch's inactivity for the past year,] not only it's overdone, but Taniguchi already used it for spoiler[Villeta.]

I could deal with it (although I agree that it's overused) I do hope that the quality from R1 is maintained or (if possible) improved upon
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
My main concern is the brother that pops out of nowhere. I hope there is some explanation or something at least remotely logical to go with it other than we need more people to drive the story, considering I thought the cast was pretty loaded as it was.

In any case, let's see what happens. This really could go either way really fast because of how they chose to end the first season.

Please remember, use spoiler tags. I know it may seem rather redundant, but no doubt there is some brave soul out there who wishes to watch R2 without having read any spoilers.

And yes, I have read quite a few spoilers myself. I am unable to resist the temptation.

If you wish to use spoilers, use them like this:

dtm42's Guide to Spoiler Tags wrote:

Spoiler is about the new Knightmare Frames.
spoiler[I really like the new Knightmare designs, especially the transforming one. It looks so cool, and I love how some of the weapons are stored in the wings. Last season only had three unique machines, but this season looks to be a slug-fest of seventh (and eighth?) generation designs.]

See? Now that (minus the quote tags, obviously) would get an A, if I do say so myself.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I saw they were going have a spoiler[mass produced Lancelot (called Vincent) and I hope the knights will have a mass produced Gurren Mk II ]
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
on topic:

I wonder of a possibility that a mysterious force at work causing it. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see how what happened in those final moments be explained.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please remember, use spoiler tags. I know it may seem rather redundant, but no doubt there is some brave soul out there who wishes to watch R2 without having read any spoilers.

I don't see what I spoiled with my comment. The brother part? That's in wiki, and was mentioned elsewhere too iirc. Nothing else even remotely gives a clue at anything.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah it's not like ryoko said the following without spoiler tags...

Episode 1 spoiler, no really it is.
spoiler[C.C kisses Lelouch to reawaken the fiend :D]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 83