• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date A Live III Anime to Have 12 Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:06 am Reply with quote
You would think FUNimation would have this season as well but they haven't announced it yet. Pretty curious for the most part.
Ittaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:44 am Reply with quote
This ended up being a pretty high profile show so it's surprising it only scored one measly season of 12 episodes. Does anyone know if that's because there isn't enough original source material to make more, or is it just a rash compromise decision?
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
Ittaku wrote:
This ended up being a pretty high profile show so it's surprising it only scored one measly season of 12 episodes. Does anyone know if that's because there isn't enough original source material to make more, or is it just a rash compromise decision?

The first season adapted 4 LN's and had 12 episodes, the second season adapted 3 LN's and had 10 episodes.
So is very likely this season with 12 episodes will adapt 4 LN's.

The rate of 4 LN's for 12/13 episodes season is what more or less happen with LN's adaptations for anime that are not rushed, so is not really a surprise

With more 8 LN's to adapt after this season and still ongoing, they will have material for at least 2 more seasons at the current adaption speed, so if Date A Live III is a sucess. more season will probably be in the near future like what happen with High School DxD
Ittaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
[quote="Jonny Mendes"]
Ittaku wrote:

With more 8 LN's to adapt after this season and still ongoing, they will have material for at least 2 more seasons at the current adaption speed, so if Date A Live III is a sucess. more season will probably be in the near future like what happen with High School DxD

Thanks. They still could have adapted more... perhaps they plan to run straight onto more if it proves instantly successful... hopefully. Smile
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
Ittaku wrote:

Thanks. They still could have adapted more... perhaps they plan to run straight onto more if it proves instantly successful... hopefully. Smile

Given that for many 12 episode series the first BD/DVD doesn't go on sale until the series has finished airing, that would be improbable, especially with studios currently so heavily booked.

Going with single cour seasons has worked well for them before, so there is little reason for them to change. As is typical for many series, it also saw reduced sales with the second series (from 8,885 reported down to 6,232).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Going with single cour seasons has worked well for them before, so there is little reason for them to change. As is typical for many series, it also saw reduced sales with the second series (from 8,885 reported down to 6,232).

I'm pretty sure the two previous seasons of DaL were at least planned together even though they aired with a break between. For example, the spines of my two artboxes(came with the limited editions) holding both seasons spell 'Date a Live' when aligned...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The boxset route is a big concern, while I'm all for this model over single volumes, I get the feeling that this model is being implemented in this case for 2 reasons: Either it's going to sell gangbusters especially since the first boxset's collectors edition has a Kurumi figure or the anime may end up being an almost total flop (and if the key visual and pre-screening is any indication, it has a good chance of turning out bad) and they want to break even from the purchases from as many hardcore fans as possible.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The boxset route is a big concern, while I'm all for this model over single volumes, I get the feeling that this model is being implemented in this case for 2 reasons: Either it's going to sell gangbusters especially since the first boxset's collectors edition has a Kurumi figure or the anime may end up being an almost total flop (and if the key visual and pre-screening is any indication, it has a good chance of turning out bad) and they want to break even from the purchases from as many hardcore fans as possible.

Where did you read this will be released in boxsets? Earlier seasons were first released in single volumes, only later re-released as boxsets(side note; first season got additional content added to some of the episodes for that release).
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely be watching this.

Was kinda hoping for a longer season but whatever works I guess.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Where did you read this will be released in boxsets? Earlier seasons were first released in single volumes, only later re-released as boxsets(side note; first season got additional content added to some of the episodes for that release).

Look on Amazon Japan, the third season is being sold in boxsets only (one is a standard edition and the other is a collectors edition).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Where did you read this will be released in boxsets?

It is in the first paragraph of the article this discussion is attached to:
Quote:
The official website for the anime based on Koushi Tachibana's Date A Live light novel series is listing that Date A Live III, the third television anime season in the franchise, will have 12 episodes across two home video box sets.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the pre airing of ep 1 and Im afraid to say spoiler[the animation is as bad as many people feared it would be. The quality drops with each studio change.]
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
4 LN is way too much to cover in 12 ep, Dxd had the right balance, where it covered 2-3 novels in each adaptation, and the worst one was 3 which tried to cover more. There is a reason every other LN show gets ripped apart from "fast Pacing" and "they cut out half the material".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1