• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Debut 2nd Half of Baki Anime Outside of Japan on March 19

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Netflix! Starting 2019 with a bang! Ah, I hope they buy CR. I want CR to not suck.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
March? Great, three months.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
Yay! Netflix! Starting 2019 with a bang! Ah, I hope they buy CR. I want CR to not suck.

Netflix sucks for people who want to actually want to watch anime in a timely manner, CR is much, much better.
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
Mhora wrote:

Netflix sucks for people who want to actually want to watch anime in a timely manner, CR is much, much better.
I thought people loooved their binging. I hate CR. Terrible day 1 translations and because we watch it day 1 the visuals often look sub-par. That is fixed when releases on Netflix can take their time to release the series after they have aired in Japan and fixed the translations and visuals. Might help many fans who watches shit evey seaspn as well. Wait for reactions and reviews.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
Asaaaasd wrote:
Mhora wrote:

I thought people loooved their binging. I hate CR. Terrible day 1 translations and because we watch it day 1 the visuals often look sub-par. That is fixed when releases on Netflix can take their time to release the series after they have aired in Japan and fixed the translations and visuals. Might help many fans who watches shit evey seaspn as well. Wait for reactions and reviews.

Except what you said (that I bolded) has never happened. Their visual quality is basically the same as CR and other sites (poor, bitrate far too low for the resolution with h264 compression). Compression artifacts are really bad on all streaming sites if you actually watch at the "Recommended" distance for your resolution/screen size. Dark scenes are disgustingly bad on every site.

The subtitles are almost as bad as Crunchyroll's. I've counted a grammar error in almost every other episode of a crunchyroll show. Netflix it's like every third episode. The major difference is that CR is releasing episodes every day, for far more shows. Weekly releases. Netflix is giving themselves 3-12 months (depending on the show) to do this. They still fail. They're still full of errors. And I'm just talking about basic grammar issues. Translations are much less an issue on either site but there's still really bad translation issues.

Devilman for example, had a scene that said "12 feathers". The word in Japanese was "hane". The image showed 12 WINGS but a lot of feathers per wing. "Hane" can be used for either wing or feather. They clearly meant 12 wings, given the context. Devilman came out January 2018. I checked and this error still exists RIGHT NOW, 12 months later. So along with them still having a ton of grammar issues and a few translation issues despite taking MONTHS to translate things, they don't even correct them! I've reported some grammar issues with shows from 2016 and checked them in 2018 and they were still not fixed.

Netflix is NOT better than anyone else. They all suck. Though, Aniplex is the worst. There was basically a 3rd grade grammar issue in every single episode of Bunny Senpai last season. I assume their translators are native Japanese and are just not good at English. But at times it read like a machine translation lol.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:

Most people in the anime community want simulcast. We love to watch anime weekly and discuss the last episodes in anime forums. That's the reason Netflix don't really work for hardcore anime fans.

Unless Netflix use the BD's for their releases (and for what i know, they don't) the visuals are the same as simulcast TV/steaming, And is not like Netflix subs translations are that good and in reality they are also pretty bad and they don't have excuse because they release the shows months after they ended in Japan.

So, in reality Netflix model works better for a more casual fan that want to watch one or two anime or cartoon.
And CR/Funi works better for a hardcore anime fan that want to follow anime each season.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:

OH HELL NO...Specially in my country netflix dubs and subs are POOR... No matter how much we complaint here she doesn't give a Sh@# unlike crunchyroll that use great professionals
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
Asaaaasd wrote:
Mhora wrote:

I thought people loooved their binging. I hate CR. Terrible day 1 translations and because we watch it day 1 the visuals often look sub-par.

From what I’ve learned these “hardcore” anime fans don’t care about that. They just want to watch day 1.
To me I prefer binge watching, then again I normally wait for a series to end and then end up binge watching on my free days. But I’m also in the navy so if I’m deployed for several months, I’m literally shit out of luck to normally to stream shows. So in my situation it’s either binge or binge.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:

Netflix gets a handful of shows per year.
While Crunchyroll specializes in it.

You probably don't watch enough anime to see the difference ~
But you must love sweaty, well trained men if Baki alone is enough to for you. Not judging. Cool (PS; Ajin on Netflix is pretty good, crunchyroll fucked up not getting that show)
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
Asaaaasd wrote:
Mhora wrote:

The cool thing about simulcasts are that you can both watch it as it airs so you can watch it sooner discuss it with people, or binge watch it when it ends. Netflix does not look significantly better than Funimation, Amazon, CR, or Hidive, and their sub quality is only better than Amazon's, but they actually do simulcasts. Netflix is the worst of the large providers of streaming in the United States by a wide margin.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:
[...]the visuals often look sub-par. That is fixed when releases on Netflix can take their time to release the series after they have aired in Japan and fixed the translations and visuals.

Uhh, you realize that Crunchyroll has nothing to do with the visuals, right?

They're not the ones drawing and animating the shows. They air what's given to them, and it's common knowledge that shows tend to look worse as they air due to the way Japan animates their shows.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
The subtitles are almost as bad as Crunchyroll's. I've counted a grammar error in almost every other episode of a crunchyroll show. Netflix it's like every third episode. The major difference is that CR is releasing episodes every day, for far more shows. Weekly releases. Netflix is giving themselves 3-12 months (depending on the show) to do this. They still fail. They're still full of errors. And I'm just talking about basic grammar issues. Translations are much less an issue on either site but there's still really bad translation issues.

Devilman for example, had a scene that said "12 feathers". The word in Japanese was "hane". The image showed 12 WINGS but a lot of feathers per wing. "Hane" can be used for either wing or feather. They clearly meant 12 wings, given the context. Devilman came out January 2018. I checked and this error still exists RIGHT NOW, 12 months later. So along with them still having a ton of grammar issues and a few translation issues despite taking MONTHS to translate things, they don't even correct them! I've reported some grammar issues with shows from 2016 and checked them in 2018 and they were still not fixed.

Netflix is NOT better than anyone else. They all suck. Though, Aniplex is the worst. There was basically a 3rd grade grammar issue in every single episode of Bunny Senpai last season. I assume their translators are native Japanese and are just not good at English. But at times it read like a machine translation lol.

Thank god I watched B: The Beginning dubbed, then.
Trndo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
Mhora wrote:
Asaaaasd wrote:
Mhora wrote:

The cool thing about simulcasts are that you can both watch it as it airs so you can watch it sooner discuss it with people, or binge watch it when it ends. Netflix does not look significantly better than Funimation, Amazon, CR, or Hidive, and their sub quality is only better than Amazon's, but they actually do simulcasts. Netflix is the worst of the large providers of streaming in the United States by a wide margin.

Netflix is the superior platform to watch anime for "hardcore" anime fans. My anime rotation is consistently in the double digits and bingeing an entire season is just simply better. Don't get me wrong I don't mind waiting week to week for new episodes and I necessarily don't think Netflix shouldn't be the service to end it all. I just think its a good accessory to anime fans that can easily binge an anime and still keep on with other anime's that are simulcasted so its not overwhelming. But once Netflix starts simulcasting in the US its most likely game over for other competitors which I wont mind.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Trndo wrote:

Netflix is the superior platform to watch anime for "hardcore" anime fans. My anime rotation is consistently in the double digits and bingeing an entire season is just simply better. Don't get me wrong I don't mind waiting week to week for new episodes and I necessarily don't think Netflix shouldn't be the service to end it all. I just think its a good accessory to anime fans that can easily binge an anime and still keep on with other anime's that are simulcasted so its not overwhelming. But once Netflix starts simulcasting in the US its most likely game over for other competitors which I wont mind.

Again, with simulcasts you can binge all you want, and you can start binging faster, as you can watch the whole thing the moment the last episode airs, instead of a quarter of year later. Most "hardcore" otaku I know watch shows as they air, while most "casuals" I know prefer to wait until the series has finished, since hardcore otaku will likely be on the lookout for new anime at the start of every season.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
yeah i think i'll just pirate it.

what kind of nonsense is this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2