• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Digimon Adventure Anime Film Project Reveals More Character Visuals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
I feel like they improved on Tai's character design a lot since the earlier design. They seem to have gotten rid of those weird VR style goggles and are using a more traditional goggle design for Tai now that I appreciate. The rest of the Digidestined looks fine to me and I like they seem to be using a blend of the old school Digimon art style and the Tri style. I'm also glad Joe has his blue hair after he just had regular hair color in Tri. Hopefully it won't be too long till we get a trailer and a release date. I'm curious to see how the new style looks in moving animation.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
As expected the original character designer's designs feel so... right!
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
They all look great~ Exactly how I expected. I’m glad they invited the original character designer to do this. Not that I was against Tri’s designs (I actually like them), but these new ones feel more fitting.
Akabane Atal'AI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
wait, digimon still continue, i mean squel for Digimon Adventure tri?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's the loose end where Daisuke and the others haven't been rescued yet, but honestly speaking, I'm kinda tired of them milking this franchise dry.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Well, there's the loose end where Daisuke and the others haven't been rescued yet, but honestly speaking, I'm kinda tired of them milking this franchise dry.

They did get rescued, but it was offscreen in a 'nobody cares' kind of way.

spoiler[Himekawa straight up disappeared though.]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I've already resigned myself to accept the 02 kids probably won't be in this movie either.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I've already resigned myself to accept the 02 kids probably won't be in this movie either.

Same. Sadly I doubt the 02 kids will ever get a proper movie role or revamp at this point. It was a mess of a season, sure, but they’re really giving 02 the shaft. The poor way they were handled in Tri makes me wonder if someone in staff just didn’t like 02 ^^;;;
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Same. Sadly I doubt the 02 kids will ever get a proper movie role or revamp at this point. It was a mess of a season, sure, but they’re really giving 02 the shaft. The poor way they were handled in Tri makes me wonder if someone in staff just didn’t like 02 ^^;;;

Unlike other franchises, this is a case where Japan actually are also Genwunners and not just Americans Laughing Adventure is the most popular Digimon series, so they kind of have to milk it since every later series never caught on as well.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

We know Kakudo left this new movie because he didn't like the direction it was going in so it wouldn't surprise me if there were creative differences over Tri either. Although I still enjoyed Tri overall, the later movies definitely feel more haphazard than the first three Tri movies did.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I missed something in the last 2 movies of digimon tri but it's odd to me that Sora is wearing a kimono. Yeah, I know she was a big tomboy but still so..... weird.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Sora became a kimono fashion designer in the 02 epilogue so it makes sense for Sora to be wearing one if this movie is taking during the epilogue.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Maybe I missed something in the last 2 movies of digimon tri but it's odd to me that Sora is wearing a kimono. Yeah, I know she was a big tomboy but still so..... weird.

I don't find it very odd at all. The whole point of her character arc in Digimon Adventure was to learn to embrace her feminine side and accept her mother. She stopped trying to be a rebellious tomboy after that.

-Stuart Smith
Digimon_Sommelier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The character designs are right on the money. I was disapproving of the Digimon Adventure Tri designs for the original cast + newbie Digidestined Meiko, but that quickly grew on me. I am impressed, however, with these visuals. And hello - Toei Animation has probably heard the outcry of Zero Two fans by now for them to be seen and heard in the film adaptation. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis, Yolei, Cody, and Ken appeared (or at the very least make a cameo) as added fuel to Digimon Adventure: The Movie (2019).

I hope they don't let us wait until summer or fall '19 to release the film. We've waited something close to a year already for the new film. Drop teaser trailers in early '19 and then give us a spring release date for the flick. Adventure did originally air in the spring of 1999, if anyone remembers. After that, the focus should be on making a brand new episodic
anime.

I FREAKING LOVE DIGIMON!

-Som
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Considering this is being marketed as a new Digimon Adventure movie specifically and not as a 02 movie, I have my doubts that the 02 characters will appear. There just isn't any room to include them naturally at this point in the story without it feeling like forced nostalgia fanservice. And while there is a vocal group of fans that want the 02 characters, I question the demand is really as large as the 02 fans make it out to be. While there's a lot of love for the 02 characters, 02 as a season has always been widely panned by the fandom and I feel like fans have only started to appreciate it more in recent years in reaction to the shortcomings of Tri. I mean, I would love for the 02 characters to be included in the new movie, but it's better to go in skeptical and be surprised than optimistic and be disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2