Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Swami.



Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Not fond of the upcoming graphic content in this route. HF can be super gross at times, especially when it comes to its portrayal of Sakura. Fans who’ve read the story will know what I mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sisyphusson66



Joined: 04 Dec 2018
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the first yet (waiting for all of them to be released first), but I have played through the Heaven's Feel route. It would have been impossible to adapt the route without embracing some of the darker aspects of the original, but hopefully it has a bit more humanity in it. I worry that the films are going to focus more on Shirou and Sakura (let's just say it is not a healthy relationship, more primal) and neglect the more interesting parts, for me at least, of the familial relationships between Illya and Shirou and the two girls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatMoonGuy



Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Posts: 94
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick head's up: you mention a "Rider chase" but I think you meant Lancer.

Glad to see the film was good and I'm happily surprised that they maintained the sexual aspects. Normally, I don't care for that but in this particular case I think it does a good service to picture Sakura's issues. If well made, those scenes can be really good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swami.



Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
I haven't watched the first yet (waiting for all of them to be released first), but I have played through the Heaven's Feel route. It would have been impossible to adapt the route without embracing some of the darker aspects of the original, but hopefully it has a bit more humanity in it. I worry that the films are going to focus more on Shirou and Sakura (let's just say it is not a healthy relationship, more primal) and neglect the more interesting parts, for me at least, of the familial relationships between Illya and Shirou and the two girls.


spoiler[ Maybe they can replace the pointless cooking scenes Rin and Sakura have with more scenes of Illya and Shirou shopping.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kirkdawg



Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 739
Location: California, USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
From what I can tell, there's no official release date for this film in the US yet - did the writer view this in Japan or is this an extremely early premiere viewing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sisyphusson66



Joined: 04 Dec 2018
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Swami. wrote:
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
I haven't watched the first yet (waiting for all of them to be released first), but I have played through the Heaven's Feel route. It would have been impossible to adapt the route without embracing some of the darker aspects of the original, but hopefully it has a bit more humanity in it. I worry that the films are going to focus more on Shirou and Sakura (let's just say it is not a healthy relationship, more primal) and neglect the more interesting parts, for me at least, of the familial relationships between Illya and Shirou and the two girls.


spoiler[ Maybe they can replace the pointless cooking scenes Rin and Sakura have with more scenes of Illya and Shirou shopping.]


I wouldn't consider them exactly pointless, they act as ways for the characters to interact and reflect on the relationships between the two pairs. I do wish there were more interactions between them (spoiler[not necessarily cooking or shopping of course]) given that spoiler[ultimately these relationships have arguably more impact in the endgame of the route than Shirou and Sakura, especially the relationship between Rin and Sakura]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Millhi



Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
From what I can tell, there's no official release date for this film in the US yet - did the writer view this in Japan or is this an extremely early premiere viewing?


Kim lives in Japan atm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tintor2



Joined: 11 Aug 2010
Posts: 434
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 pm Reply with quote
This is the film where Shirou spoiler[gets Archer's arm, right?] At least that was the impression I got from the review. I mean, I haven't played the visual novel but I do know that Heaven's Feel is spoiler[Shirou at his darkest portrayal.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 1193
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shirou attempts to protect Sakura, a girl from the Matoi family who has been by his side for over a year.

That would be Matou.

Good to hear that the movie delivers![/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casenumber00



Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Looking at Gabby's tweets she loath the movies, how can there be polar opposite opinions from ANN writers for the same movie?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1776
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Looking at Gabby's tweets she loath the movies, how can there be polar opposite opinions from ANN writers for the same movie?


She didn't even watch the movie. The tweets you're talking about are the ones where she complains about how gross some stuff is in the original HF, aren't they? From what I heard the movie doesn't really go 1 for 1 with that anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tropical Blitz



Joined: 29 May 2015
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
casenumber00 wrote:
Looking at Gabby's tweets she loath the movies, how can there be polar opposite opinions from ANN writers for the same movie?


She didn't even watch the movie. The tweets you're talking about are the ones where she complains about how gross some stuff is in the original HF, aren't they?


Yeah, that was the impression I had of her tweets.

Which, to be fair, is a perfectly reasonable take, since the original visual novel is bad on every sex scene it featured. They just get progressively worse and worse per route.

On his part, Nasu himself gave at least two different inputs about them in recent years, and he's not exactly enthralled by them either, going as far as claiming he didn't write them himself, but he might have been half joking about that. He did admit at the very least that they are extremely out of character in terms of how the characters behave in them. On Type-Moon's part, the entire original visual novel had been damnatio memoriae in terms of marketing, and that the subsequent non-ero version is seen as the "true" canon of the visual novel that people should read and that the entire spin offs are based on.

killjoy_the wrote:
From what I heard the movie doesn't really go 1 for 1 with that anyway.


I had read some summaries about it, seen some of the camrips, and now that I heard what the reviewer had to say about it in the review and on twitter, I think it is safe to say it doesn't go 1 for 1 at all.

spoiler[Shiro isn't acting like a total caveman during the deed for starters, and the lead up to it is much different than the original visual novel, since the reasoning for why it happens here is missing from the original visual novel.]

Rather, it is taking the non-ero version, because the spoiler[mana transfer] is done through thespoiler[ blood drinking,] while the spoiler[sex scene] that happens in the movie is a slight change of a similar point in the non-ero version, but it is left ambiguous as to what, if anything, Sakura and Shiro are doing. spoiler[They physically sleep next to each other, but if coitus occurred proper or not is something we don't find out.

Until now.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Videogamep



Joined: 10 Jun 2014
Posts: 564
Location: CA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Looking at Gabby's tweets she loath the movies, how can there be polar opposite opinions from ANN writers for the same movie?


It's not all that surprising. ANN isn't a monolith, and different people have different opinions and tastes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Staros



Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
@Tropical Blitz It's moreso that the sex scenes of the VN are very badly translated. There is nothing strange about the prose itself in Japanese.

Anyways, the appeal of Fate/Stay Night that the translation doesn't really capture is how nicely the characters express their emotions. Unlike with most otaku media, I'm always able to hop around the story and enjoy hearing the characters talk out their worries.

https://youtu.be/3hlImycxbyw?t=1825

This is why I view Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Extra CCC as the best Fate/Type-Moon stories. Though perhaps the Tsukihime remake will be even better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tropical Blitz



Joined: 29 May 2015
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
Staros wrote:
@Tropical Blitz It's moreso that the sex scenes of the VN are very badly translated. There is nothing strange about the prose itself in Japanese.


If you felt that there was nothing wrong with them and it is an issue with translation, I'll take your word for it. Every mention I know of the scenes in the original visual novel had been either of negative or mocking manner given how out of character the people involved in them behave, and having read them through the translation, I tend to not view them favorably and much prefer the version in the non-ero/All Ages release better. Nasu himself had given enough talks about them to see that he wasn't all too happy with how they were included in the game in the first place. The movie itself doesn't use any of the scenes in the original visual novel either, for what's its worth.

I do agree that the character work in the story proper is what gives it a very strong appeal, and makes it shine through much of the less savory parts. Even problems with the translation aside, I do think that the game (and the adaptations on it) manage to capture the specific quirks and nature of the characters involved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group