• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kemurikusa (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syoshii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote

Kemurikusa (TV)

Genres:: adventure, fantasy
Themes:: post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: A story about three sisters struggling to survive in a desolate world surrounded by decaying buildings and red fog. The story revolves around Rin, a girl with an updo. There's also Ritsu, the big sister who has cat ears and is always calm, and Rina, the innocent, cheerful one dressed in a maid's costume. Just what is it that these sisters are after in this mysterious world?
----------------------------------

The new series by Tatsuki and his team Yaoyorozu, who created the 1st season of Kemono Friends.
syoshii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
Tatsuki has uploaded a series of ”anime for fun" just before the program started, which are the short prologue videos providing a sneak peek of what happened before the main story starts. They will help you to understand the whole world of Kemurikusa.

Episode 0.5 https://twitter.com/irodori7/status/1046396731611537408
Episode 0.6 https://twitter.com/irodori7/status/1057647504097865728
Episode 0.7 https://twitter.com/irodori7/status/1068503706218332160
Episode 0.8 https://twitter.com/irodori7/status/1079736476248600577
Episode 0.9 https://twitter.com/irodori7/status/1080461251900170240

A Japanese fan (not me) just translated the words in these videos and shared it on twitter.
https://twitter.com/SakamotoRyuu/status/1089322650306936832

Last edited by syoshii on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
syoshii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
A lot of things are still hiding behind the red fog and I'm sure that many of the viewers (including myself) are confused about what is going on, because Tatsuki does not explain - he just describes what the sisters and Wakaba do, and looks like he even avoids inserting flashback scenes and monologue on purpose. But you can find a lot of information in small details which will give you some hints to what happened, what is going on and what is going to come, just like he did at Kemono Friends season 1.
syoshii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
I was surprised when I found the same arabesque pattern on Midori-chan (at the part where Ritsu is sitting on), Wakaba's outfit (on the sleeves), and the wrecks of the blue wall between the islands. And later I found that the wrecked blue wall with arabesque has already appeared behind the red fog in episode 1 without being mentioned, at the battle with large Akamushi in the courtyard of ruined apartment. Probably this arabesque pattern means something important because it appeares again and again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And so it ends with a happy and hopeful note. They defeated the red tree and found paradise outside of the ship that the series apparently was set in. That end was a bit rushed, be relegated to a rather short after credit scene. But, I kind of have some negative things to say in regards to the last episode.

I know that it is a bit silly to make complaints on the animation side of things, this was a Tatsuki anime, where along with striking gold on the first season of Kemono Friends, he does it with a small team and a lot taken on himself. It appears here again he handled Director, Series Composition, Script, Storyboard, Episode Director, it is impressive. His results are a labour of love and feel like a victory of the small creator. But I am not letting that be a shield from the climax especially being a mess animation wise. It really feels like the climax was focusing all of its resources on having Rin move around, which really was not a hell lot, and things kind of happen without in-between shots. Wakaba is facing the tree, the he is on the ground, then he is being held by the tree, then he is differently on it, then he is in the air I guess falling, and then he is with Rin and okay. I am sure that might not be a problem if you don't notice or feel that what happens between those is conveyed well enough, but with how much was supposed to be happening, there was so little to show how things happened. Rin like loses limbs, and then she just has them in another shot, I am not saying it is a plot hole, because it is easily perceivable she could regenerate from the powers she has during this climax, but there is nothing showing that happen.

I am going to say it was mostly a problem with the climax, but it felt like a bunch of storyboards animated, without what happens between them animated, something like a transition shot. That is not always a problem, it can sometimes be a stylistic choice, or maybe add humour, but it really pushed down the climax of where this should be a professional anime. Going back to the climax, there was one bit where Rin and Wakaba are running up the root to get to the tree, Rin makes blocks to jump off of, but Wakaba's model just freezes, and I was just left wondering if we were not meant to pay attention to his character. I am not saying this as some huge complain of the series if it could get around this sort of thing most of the time while being enjoyable, but these limitations should have informed how they wanted this climax to go.

I am sure this is going to make me out as some traitor of this and the first season of Kemono Friends, like I am being too nit-picky on things that don't matter, but I am saying pretty conclusively that the second season of Kemono Friends, not handled by Tatsuki and with the aid of more people, has been better than Kemurikusa. I know it is kind of cool to be on the side of this show while hating on Kemono Friends 2 after the controversy that happened. That we need to be on the side of Tatsuki after him being a hidden genius, and how unfairly he was treated, but come on. This doesn't have the same charm KF1, it doesn't have the bright and happy colours, or the positivity that attracted people, as the childlike Rina is cynical and kind of down right mean to the main character, Wakaba, and Rin just as hostile. Is that the sort of chemistry that makes people love that show? I am not talking about sequel of Kemono Friends, I will be saving that for its own discussion, but I fear a lot of people have putting their feelings of the sequel they wanted here in this show, while putting their resentment of never getting it on KF2.

I am not even saying this was a bad show. It had some charm, and was generally fun to watch. But whether it was a problem of not quite having the resources it should have needed, or simply not a fact of lightning not quite striking twice like we all wanted, we can be supportive but also say this isn't quite what we want. I am saying this as someone who still enjoyed this, and will say that it will still be underappreciated for its animation, but also want thoughts tempered on how much of a hidden gem this could be to either Tatsuki fans, or those coming in fresh. As an extra addition, the OP was sung by nano, which is good to find out her sing for a good anime again.

I give Kemurikusa a rating of Decent (6/10), although the kind of us who were totally brought in by Tatsuki's other work, Kemono Friends season 1, this will probably still be a don't miss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1