• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan is a Bizarre Work of Art

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty weird. So they did an anime?

Okay, now is it going to be released here?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Question Funimation and Crunchyroll licensed it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Question Funimation and Crunchyroll licensed it.

Excellent!
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
A bit off topic, but...it's nice that some (relatively) young person knows who the Tracy Brothers are! Laughing Great mom indeed!

As for the show itself, it may be worth a look. I'm always looking for the offbeat.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this getting some attention! I've really enjoyed the way the production's moved from the most "normal" episodes at the beginning to progressively more and more experimental stuff. I also really loved a few episodes you didn't have time to talk about, such as the dream of red threads for which the director filled his office with yarn, and the concept of the completely POV episode.

As for the question of the male directors, I think it's actually a very interesting reflection of the weird gender dynamic that defines the whole propertyーEkoda-chan was a manga about a woman, written by a woman, that ran in a men's magazine. What was that catchphrase? "A guide for men, a bible for women"? I feel like the show absolutely needs a multigendered perspective to work. Still, I do wish that we had gotten a few episodes with female directors and male VAs for Ekoda-chan...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see it covered here. It almost felt like no one else was watching this show.

I think part of the reason for the lack of female directors in the show is that there aren't many female directors who are, let's say, not terribly busy in recent years, as many (but not all) of the directors of the show are. As much as more female directors would have been nice, I'd rather them work on something that more people will likely watch, like the Yuri on Ice movie coming later this year in Sayo Yamamoto's case. The tenth episode isn't the only one that has a female creator's fingerprints on it either, as IIRC Mari Okada wrote the script for the second episode, which I think contributed to it being the highlight of the first half or so.

Compared to 18if, which also had different director for each episode, I think Ekoda has been more consistent in quality, especially in the second half. I could recommend just about any of those ones, though for different reasons. Like, if you would like to see what rotoscoping looks like, you can see the end of the sixth episode aftershow, in the part of each episode where they show one of the frames being animated (as mentioned in the column). Mind you, they don't really explain anything in those segments (aside from the puppet one for very apparent reasons) but it is nice to see it at least. In addition to the POV one and one about the red threads, I also liked the one done by the director of Made in Abyss, which mostly didn't feature the titular Ekoda, but rather how those around her saw her. The most recent one was interesting too, directed by the director of Beck and voiced by three musicians. I would primarily suggest the show for those interested in looking behind the curtain so to speak, as much of the run time is taken up by that, provided you watch the whole episode and not just the short itself.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
That is the third biggest mixing board I have ever seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1