• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Persona 5 'P5S' Project Teased With April 25 News

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Poor Atlus, trying to be cool... and then a Best Buy employee has to leak that Persona 5 for the Switch is in their computer system...
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
unless its like persona 4 golden, i still don't get the hype for the switch. sure if people who own a switch,but not a ps4 want the game , good for them, but if its the same game that's already on the ps4, its not an upgrade and too me its one of those games better played on the big screen.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
unless its like persona 4 golden, i still don't get the hype for the switch. sure if people who own a switch,but not a ps4 want the game , good for them, but if its the same game that's already on the ps4, its not an upgrade and too me its one of those games better played on the big screen.

I liked JRPGs on handhelds much more than on console, I played through P4G four complete times vs. one time with P4/P5 because of that. I tried remote play, and I really disliked the input delay due to the bad internet in my area, so I'm excited for this.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Poor Atlus, trying to be cool... and then a Best Buy employee has to leak that Persona 5 for the Switch is in their computer system...

But then shouldn't it be P5RS? Either way I don't understand why anyone should get hyped about a release of a 2 year old game, special edition or not. There isn't a good reason why they couldn't be announcing Persona 6 this year with a 2020 release date. 3 years shouldn't be too long to make a sequel as long as they use the engine the same way they went from P3 to P4.
Also shouldn't we get a Shin Megami Tensei 5(?) release date for the Switch by now? they released the teaser years ago and then forgot about it...
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Persona 5 for SWITCCHHH!!
Sekaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:

Well maybe it's not a big deal to you but to me, it's a pretty BIG deal. I'm not in a situation where I can just hog the TV all day long. My parents also need to watch TV Anime cry

Plus, I'd like to be able to play the game at my own pace and not feel pressured to hurry things up when my parents want to watch TV.
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Apparently in the website's source code it says they'll have new Phantom thieves..... I wonder what that means. Maybe it's not simply a Switch port.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
There isn't a good reason why they couldn't be announcing Persona 6 this year with a 2020 release date. 3 years shouldn't be too long to make a sequel as long as they use the engine the same way they went from P3 to P4.

They already have 2 big HD RPGs in development with SMT V and Re:Fantasy, the latter of which they started a new division of the company to develop. On top of that, the director/creative lead for the series since P3 is done with it, so they probably want to find someone to take the reins. Don't expect P6 anytime soon.

Animorphimagi wrote:
Also shouldn't we get a Shin Megami Tensei 5(?) release date for the Switch by now? they released the teaser years ago and then forgot about it...

They didn't "forget" about it, they just announced a year before it fully entered development. I'd be surprised if it came out next year.
Niyari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
i feel like most people that own a Switch also own a PS4 (other than the kiddos, who wouldn't have any real interest in this game anyways) as well since it predates the system by several years. combine that with the fact that they're going to have to graphically tone down or even completely change certain to adhere to the Switch's Fisher Price-esque specs and yea... i just don't see the point
SuperRed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
i feel like most people that own a Switch also own a PS4 (other than the kiddos, who wouldn't have any real interest in this game anyways) as well since it predates the system by several years. combine that with the fact that they're going to have to graphically tone down or even completely change certain to adhere to the Switch's Fisher Price-esque specs and yea... i just don't see the point

P5 ran on PS3 which is less powerful than the Switch, graphics shouldn't be an issue.

I don't see myself double dipping since I even platinumed the game back on PS4, unless Royal becomes a huge improvement.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Following precedent, it's natural that a hand-held Persona comes around.

But I will laugh if this is a fighting game...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
its not an upgrade and too me its one of those games better played on the big screen.

System has TV and off TV play so........

Animorphimagi wrote:
There isn't a good reason why they couldn't be announcing Persona 6 this year with a 2020 release date.

Well aside from the fact there's nothing literally nothing that indicates Persona 6 is coming out in 2020. As you just pointed Persona 5 is a two year old game while they may very be working on 6 it's not coming out at most for another 3-4 years at the earliest.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
its not an upgrade and too me its one of those games better played on the big screen.

System has TV and off TV play so........

Yea...but as someone who does have both systems, why re-buy a switch version if it has the same exact content , unless you want the handheld portability.

Still based on a previous trailer involving a mysterious girl , i dont see the logic in releasing the game again with the same content. so i have to assume it has too have different content.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you Siegfried that it's extremely unlikely that I'd rebuy it on the Switch if it was the same exact game. However, I have to step back and realize that it isn't all about me. I'm not saying that to be rude. Usually I'm annoyed with ports, but ports bringing a whole new franchise to Nintendo are really nice to see, and hopefully lay down groundwork for new titles to come to the Switch/Nintendo systems in the future.

My number one wish would be bringing Persona 4 Golden to the Switch. I just got into this franchise last summer and was wanting to go back and play some of the older games, but everyone told me that was the only Persona 4 version to get and I don't have a Vita, nor am I really liking the idea of buying one just for that game.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
im with ya there...i love having ports for the switch , i already got final fantasy 7/9, and valkyria chronicles, not too mention the remakes , like the world ends with you , tales of vesperia , steins gate

come on atlus time too bring over persona 3 fes, persona 4 golden. digital devil saga 1/2 , nocturne! instead of hyping a port too a game you released just 2 and a half years ago.

hope others get too enjoy persona 5 though , im speaking purely for myself and after 5 play throughs , 600 hours..the hype is low if nothing changed ....hell i may get it if they give you all the dlcs for free...i never did buy the costumes.

though we dont even know what the S realllly stands for yet >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1