• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - E3 Extravaganza: The Wrap-Up!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually think Pokemon is at its best with a tighter roster to learn, master, and strategize with, so I'd be happy about some Pokemon getting retired for Sword and Shield. I mean, it's not like in real life you can go to any place on the Earth and find all the animals you can somewhere else. Getting people to focus on new Pokemon with new moves is the way to go. It evens the field for newcomers, too. When Pokemon first started getting sequels, I never imagined we'd have to have the growing backlog every time; it took away some of the freshness of new titles.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:09 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the TG16 mini (though it could be smaller...) as that system is a big hole in my gaming past. Hopefully it's a well done release.

Has it been mentioned if that new version of Metal Storm is just going to be on those reprint carts, or will it be seeing a digital release too?

Last edited by Covnam on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
Nothing really new to the Pokemon series. They're constantly removing established features just so they can announce their return as a great new addition later. Now we just have monster availability added to that list.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
I am kinda pleasant about the new features in Pokemon SWSH, but i am also kinda disappointed about the removal of the previous Generation. Its now like an Gen 5-esque, since both Gen 5 and Gen 8 had to remove all the previous generation for sure.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
I am kinda pleasant about the new features in Pokemon SWSH, but i am also kinda disappointed about the removal of the previous Generation. Its now like an Gen 5-esque, since both Gen 5 and Gen 8 had to remove all the previous generation for sure.

Not at all. The difference is that in Gen 5 (specifically Black & White) old pokemon were not available until the post-game and from that point on you could transfer from the previous gens. In SWSH old pokes are available from the beginning the issue is that pokemon that are not in the game cannot be transfered into it
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Not at all. The difference is that in Gen 5 (specifically Black & White) old pokemon were not available until the post-game and from that point on you could transfer from the previous gens. In SWSH old pokes are available from the beginning the issue is that pokemon that are not in the game cannot be transfered into it

I feel this the same way, how are we ever going to get a previous Gen Pokemon right now?
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
HAL14 wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:

I feel this the same way, how are we ever going to get a previous Gen Pokemon right now?

I've seen people suggest patches and DLCs but i'm not sure that would work. For now i'm just going to wait and see how many pokemon are available in SWSH and which ones made the cut.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
I actually think Pokemon is at its best with a tighter roster to learn, master, and strategize with, so I'd be happy about some Pokemon getting retired for Sword and Shield.

In theory, that's great. In execution, I can almost guarantee they'll mess it up. If they throw in the ultra beasts, Alolan guardians, and weather genies then expect to see the same teams in competitive as usual.

As someone who never cared enough to transfer Pokemon between games, it doesn't really affect me, but I'm sure it's a huge bummer for people looking to actually bring over the Pokemon they had. Unfortunately, unless people actually boycott these games, which they're not going to, we all know this, Game Freak knows they can do this and get away with it as per usual.

Last edited by Commander Cluck on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this year's E3 was pretty lackluster. There were a couple interesting bits, but up until Nintendo it was a snooze fest. The amount of "surprises" is never a make or break for me, just how well an E3 is presented, especially since I don't care about hearing about games that are more than a year away. And even using that criteria, the whole thing was dull. MS was directionless, Bethesda was patronizing as hell, Ubisoft was a whole lotta nothing, and SE was a mixed bag at best. What the hell? Anyway, to specifics

-TG16 Mini: Neat.

-Pokemon: Hoo boy.

-Shenmue III: The epic saga of Shenmue continues to be more complicated than it should. One wonders if it will actually be finished.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

-Shenmue III: The epic saga of Shenmue continues to be more complicated than it should. One wonders if it will actually be finished.

I actually hadn't heard about the "40% through the whole story" bit til now, but I definitely think it's a mistake. Suzuki is much older, Shenmue has a lot more competitors in its own genre, and you're banking on a game without much of a proven audience to make up what has to be an astronomical budget by this point. There's so much going against this game, we're likely to see Shenmue either never be completed, or be completed in another, cheaper medium like books or something.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We don't know who was responsible for this decision (YS-Net? Deep Silver? Both?), but clearly nobody learned anything from Shenmue II becoming an Xbox exclusive in North America back in 2002.

There was a lesson in this?

Logically there wasn't really many other places for the game to go but the Xbox and the PC.

I mean yeah making the game exclusive was weird but.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I actually hadn't heard about the "40% through the whole story" bit til now, but I definitely think it's a mistake. Suzuki is much older, Shenmue has a lot more competitors in its own genre, and you're banking on a game without much of a proven audience to make up what has to be an astronomical budget by this point. There's so much going against this game, we're likely to see Shenmue either never be completed, or be completed in another, cheaper medium like books or something.

Suzuki really should have started cutting out excess and just getting to the point. This is the problem with the "magnum opus" idea: people who engage in it suddenly lose all critical thinking and have this notion that nothing can be compromised. He was already in rocky territory and it's only getting rockier
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1