• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Wise Man's Grandchild Goes Off the Rails

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still so sacred for the spider isekai. As garbage as this show is, considering that there's minimum of 2 every season it's extremely clear that there's a large loyal audience for it. So since the spider LN is half garbage bogs standard isekai and half actually interesting spider stuff I feel like there just going to massively focus on the garbage part since that's apparently what sells and the spider stuff will just be the B plot.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm still so sacred for the spider isekai. As garbage as this show is, considering that there's minimum of 2 every season it's extremely clear that there's a large loyal audience for it. So since the spider LN is half garbage bogs standard isekai and half actually interesting spider stuff I feel like there just going to massively focus on the garbage part since that's apparently what sells and the spider stuff will just be the B plot.

Considering the manga doesn't even adapt the "garbage bog standard" half, your fears are unfounded.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd almost say this series was onto something if I actually believed it was trying to be meta. The main villain overthrowing an empire and realizing he was too bored to care since his goal was accomplished so easily would have been downright humorous if that is what it was actually going for. Instead, it's played up as this bad thing going on, but it's impossible to care because it's over before we see any of it.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Animenewsnetwork should pull this opinionated column of bubble BS. It’s not journalism or worthy of the site as a hole. It’s simply a waste of real resources and storage space! Yes that’s my opinion and it’s given freely to the moderator of this site! Encouraging poor judgment and miss use of resources allows one to know why Advertising revenue is down as well as paying users! I am very glad I skip this type of content on this site and would love the option to not have to see it at all in my news feeds!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
^^^
...how dare they get bubbly and opinionated in a bubbly opinion column. Next thing you know their reviews will offer criticism!

Considering how often it runs despite the obvious time intensive formatting it would need, it's probably the site's most popular column.

And while I see so many complaints from people about them trashing a show they like, the positive ones get almost no responses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
And while I see so many complaints from people about them trashing a show they like, the positive ones get almost no responses.

Well, it's only natural; positivity doesn't upset people, unless they have a huge grudge against the show in question, so there's not much to say to those besides "I agree." Though this column didn't seem like as much of a dunking-on as usual, more just a lot of snarky comments because they didn't find the show interesting.

On-topic, I have to wonder when, if ever, we're going to hit peak isekai and start transitioning to something else. Maybe never; the modern standard isekai is really just harem anime with a new coat of paint, so it may just get renamed again at some point.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I think that the proliferation of Isekai shows is due to an increasing sense of powerlessness in people. Many of them are pure power fantasies, portraying how powerful Japanese people are when placed in another world. If so, then I doubt we'll be seeing a downswing in Isekai stories any time soon.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

Considering the manga doesn't even adapt the "garbage bog standard" half, your fears are unfounded.

The fact that the manga showed it was possible to do the story without the garbage part yet they still decided to adapt that part into the anime just makes me more scared.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

The fact that the manga showed it was possible to do the story without the garbage part yet they still decided to adapt that part into the anime just makes me more scared.

Sigh, there is already a trailer wish shows that Kumo appears and her story is adapted. If anything should scare you it should be the use and quality of the CG. I know I'm scared.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

On-topic, I have to wonder when, if ever, we're going to hit peak isekai and start transitioning to something else. Maybe never; the modern standard isekai is really just harem anime with a new coat of paint, so it may just get renamed again at some point.
As much as I enjoy isekai anime, I would love to see more mecha shows being made besides Macross and Gundam. We had a few last year but still not much compared to other genres. In the case of Wiseman's Grandchild though, it's more of a magic academy show than an isekai as the isekai element only plays such a small part of the story that I feel like it was only added in for marketing purposes. It's a shame this show didn't turn out better because I actually enjoyed it at first and I felt like it had a lot of potential.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Counter-point: I enjoy the hell out of this column and it’s usually good trending to great writing. The integration of the screenshots is typically fun too.

Sure, when they destroy a show I do like it’s a bummer, but a funny one. And they often pique my interest in stuff I wouldn’t normally bother with when they lavish praise on stuff. It’s as useful to me as episode reviews, sometimes moreso.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought Wise Man's Grandchild was a tamer version of In Another World with My Smartphone but there is a fairly good action element to it. It isn't trying to be Attack on Titan but it is more vicious than what you would expect from a story with a magic high school setting. It was also nice to see actual progress to the romance and it is rare to see an anime romance bring up marriage in the first season. The main issue is that the show does wear a few too many hats since it is a romantic comedy magic high school isekai war story.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I think that the proliferation of Isekai shows is due to an increasing sense of powerlessness in people. Many of them are pure power fantasies, portraying how powerful Japanese people are when placed in another world.

The power fantasy has been around for a while and the Barsoom series was doing that in 1912.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
It was also nice to see actual progress to the romance and it is rare to see an anime romance bring up marriage in the first season.

It's fine when the main characters have chemistry and character like Chivalry of the Failed Knight but when it's just "she's cute" and "he's important" the series becomes obnoxious. The show kept hinting that it'd do something tragic to Sizi like make her a Demonoid and then her position as "main girl" would have been replaced by Maria but even then, we're still stuck with Shin.

I've stopped and started this series several times. I don't like it and I don't hate it but it's all too easy to think of other shows, even other Isekai shows, that could have used a second season rather than have this one exist at all. It's not bland, it's even occasionally funny and I like how quickly it can swerve into horrific visuals and situations. But that's not the show's main point, those are only distractions.

And the show's ultimate failing? It doesn't have a main point.... not even as a power fantasy. If it was a real power fantasy, it would have been a straight harem or at least a non committed one. Now that I think about it, it is odd that is has all the makings of a battle harem with all the power woman wizards running the spectrum of types and personalities then adds a bunch of generic males.... but then loses interest in the guys but has an "official couple" while still focusing on the women. It's honestly baffling.

As an example of any of the genre it uses, it's just frustrating as none of them are competently executed. Mostly because the other genres keep getting in the way.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Wise Mans Grandchild charmed me for a couple of episodes. Unfortunately the subtle hints of it being deeper than it was showing turned out to be coincidence only. Its kept repeating the same jokes to the point of tiredness.

I could forgive it if its action was compelling but so far only the first fight against the demon boar and the fight against Schtrom have had interesting touches of both strategy and interesting animation. The show is drowning in the sheer average-ness of its writing. Slight charm and nothing much else. As such I agree with the opinions of the TWIA team this week. There is nothing to bad about this show, its just failed to show any follow up to its more interesting parts.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this column will eventually cover Yu-no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2