• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual YouTuber Kaguya Luna Breaks Guinness World Record By Holding Livestream at Highest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I've never felt so old as when the term "virtual youtuber" entered the public consciousness. Just... wth.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it's no different from any other Youtuber who prefers to not appear on camera and just have some kind of avatar on screen, just that in this case that avatar is being puppeted via webcam feed instead of being static or manually animated. Unless I'm missing something, I don't get why that warrants a whole new term.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:10 am Reply with quote
What a joke. It's just a camera pointed at a screen, that has to be one of the least impressive records possible. Send a real person up there and then I'll be impressed. The former record holder should be pissed (assuming it wasn't something equally ridiculous).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
So we're giving out awards now to fake people who aren't even real?
typhonkona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think they are giving an award to a virtual YouTuber per se. I think they are giving it to the creators behind Kaguya Luna. Or to whoever she’s affiliated with. Now the whole concept behind virtual YouTubers isn’t exactly new. They’ve been on the rise at least since Kizuna Ai debuted.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Kaguya Luna and all but this publicity stunt for UFO Nisshin Yakisoba shouldn't even count as a Guinness record due to the ridiculous setup.

I honestly won't be surprised if Guinness decides to rescind the record and certain members of staff being given the pink slip for even allowing this to count as one!

EDIT: Okay, after watching the livestream again and following the comments on the YouTube page, there was no real shenanigans placed just to screw around with Guinness for the world record. This was merely about holding a virtual stream in the stratosphere and breaking the previous record for it. There was nothing in the fine print that said that the livestreamers had to be real or virtual avatars. They just have to have effective stream communication from one unit to the other.

I think we've all been making a mountain out of a completely obvious molehill here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1