• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Incredible Artists of Kyoto Animation: Part 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
RIP to all of these animators, Takemoto is still the only person i know since he directed Lucky Star and Full Metal There.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiji Kigami hit harder after learning he made that runing sequence, since that is my favorite sequence of all of kyoani's works.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
May they all rest in peace, so many people with promising futures with some with extremely luminous pasts. I honestly feel sad for all them and the people they left behind Sad
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Gah, this is so gut-wrenching. Not just veterans, but people who had futures ahead of them.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I never watched a KyoAni production before the fire. Now, starting with Hyouka, I've decided to find as many as I can through Funimation and VRV and watch them to experience all of the feelings that these people created. It's an atypical and maybe even self-indulgent approach, but it's the least I can do to not only help them financially but also emotionally. Even now, I can't watch an episode of Hyouka without thinking about Takemoto and whoever else worked on the series.

These people passed away creating art. Whether decent or poor, good or bad, masterful or heinous, art is art, and it is the pride and joy of every artist to showcase their talents to a wide, public audience - something that no other career path can accommodate. I'm an incredibly late bloomer, but to KyoAni and all those who create art - thank you.

Very Happy
Demonskid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a few KyoAni anime over the years, and there are many I haven't seen yet. After the fire I finally got around to watching a Silent Voice.

I cried through out the movie. Not because of the movie itself, but because most of the people on this list had worked on this beautiful film. Possibly many others who have worked on this are gone too.

So much talent, so many futures, so many lives lost.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. to the old legends and young rising stars at KyoAni. I hope a memorial is built in their honor. They deserve this. They made memories in in some of my favorite works.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Despite not knowing most of the creative talent behind their work, KyoAni was still, and will continue to be my favorite studio. Not only did they lose a tremendous amount of talent, I’ll bet they lost some of the friendliest people you could ever hope to work with.

May these artists rest in peace, may the survivors make as quick a recovery as possible, and may Kyoto Animation emerge from this tragedy stronger than ever before.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
thank you for a beautiful memorial...very moving and very good.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote
Lucky Star was the first Kyoto Animation-produced work that I watched.

After the fire, it's going to be hard to forget about the late Yasuhiro Takemoto for those who are looking forward to checking it out.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
Thank you for this. For me, I found out only in recent years that KyoAni had been there right from the start, with their work supporting AIC on Tenchi Universe, the show that got me into anime. I want to know more about their work, I want everyone to know.

I appreciate that the article never uses the term "victim." Must a life cut short be categorized as a defeat? The crime and the tragedy are immense, yet it seems to me that these people's lives were ultimately victorious, every one of them. Even the youngest made amazing use of the time they had.

Gemnist wrote:
I never watched a KyoAni production before the fire. Now, starting with Hyouka, I've decided to find as many as I can through Funimation and VRV and watch them to experience all of the feelings that these people created. It's an atypical and maybe even self-indulgent approach(...)

It's not atypical - I'm glad to say many others have reported doing the same. And yes, as you suggested, I'm sure us "indulging" in their work is what the staff would want. It's a wonderful thing to be able to create art that moves people or lifts their spirits.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
His/Her name wasn't revealed, but after weeks of waiting, my animator drinking buddy found out that his childhood friend who worked at KyoAni passed away. Just absolutely horrible. And can I just say that my buddy is amazing? I tried telling him to let me know if he needed anything, and he told me he wanted us to have fun and smile next time we went drinking, and that he needed to keep moving for his passed friend's sake. Really heartbreaking, but inspiring at the same time.
Lightopugen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:43 am Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
May they all rest in peace, so many people with promising futures with some with extremely luminous pasts. I honestly feel sad for all them and the people they left behind Sad

Same dude. It was just horrible. They had such bright futures ahead of them. This sucks
Luigithemetal64

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:27 am Reply with quote
Saying Free! features cute boys is what I think is slightly inaccurate because the characters have sharp-edged eyes rather than being rounded. Although, the younger kids in the show look cute. Even Satoshi from K-On! looks cute. Still, it's sad that these people are killed, even for someone who is able to get over tragedies. Imagine the trial and error they have to go through to pursue an animation career, being treated like a family to create animation, and only for them to be killed by someone. Even I'm interested in doing animation, but I thought it might take a long time to be accepted as I want to learn as much a I can as soon as possible.
kenshinsgirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
These are all heartbreaking, especially recounting the emotions of Sachie Tsuda's recently widowed father. "...her father learned that his daughter was not only kind to her parents, but to everyone."

That just rips me up, guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2