• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Posts 'Baton Passing' Video Ahead of Healin' Good Precure Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
And thus another season comes to close and with a start of a new beginning. I actually really liked Star Twinkle Precure overall on the account they were consistent with their theming and aesthetics (LOVED the 80s retro aesthetics they going for especially in the ED sequences). We got space exploration, meetings with new alien races and their cultures, and actual space battles. And of course there's an all encompassing theme of tolerance being explored which is probably why we have Elena in the main cast as the first colored-skin Precure. Having alien (though humanoid) Precures also helps round out the team.

It still has its failings like you normally see in Precure like the 3rd cour slump (though it wasn't too bad), missed/wasted opportunities (Madoka's dad's MIB-esque subplot was unceremoniously dropped), and imbalanced character development. But still, I liked what they went for, and this might end up being my favorite Precure series along side with the original Precure, Heartcatch, and Go Princess.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Just these baton passing videos are fine. I don't know why Toei's felt the need to shove the main pink cures into every final episode of every series since Mahou Tsukai, since doing that kind of defeats the purpose of the baton passing videos. Plus, let the Precures stay in their own series instead of shilling them for the purpose of promoting the new series further! They do enough of that already with the All Stars movies and the baton passing vids!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Star Twinkle was actually quite good.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Star Twinkle certainly was a ride, and a very good one at that. I mostly agree with darkchibi07's sentiment, they could've done more with Madoka's dad - and Madoka for that matter - but other than that, I've got close to no complaints, the theming of the show was consistent throughout and managed to did well with those, touching on heavy topics like xenophobia and losing your home for example. And Elena wasn't only included for the sake of it - not that there's anything wrong with that - but actually integral part of the cast and the core message. And the later episodes really upped their game, not that it was bad before, and managed to deliver a great final fight and an emotional finale. I'm going to miss these dorks Crying or Very sad

FireChick wrote:
Just these baton passing videos are fine. I don't know why Toei's felt the need to shove the main pink cures into every final episode of every series since Mahou Tsukai, since doing that kind of defeats the purpose of the baton passing videos. Plus, let the Precures stay in their own series instead of shilling them for the purpose of promoting the new series further! They do enough of that already with the All Stars movies and the baton passing vids!

I think they've managed this one quite well, as it turned out spoiler[it was all a dream of Hikaru 15 years from now] and Hugtto was kind of a crossover show already, being an anniversary project - and thanks to a baby with dimension-warping powers - so I wasn't bothered. I didn't see Mahoutsukai and Kirakira so I can't comment on those.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
Star Twinkle was a big step up from Hugtto. The space exploration theme was great and utilized very well, and it gave us one of my favorite mid-series Cure in a long while.
BSW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
Star Twinkle was a big step up from Hugtto.

I have to agree with this. There are a few things I could mention, but probably what I'd have to point out in making it definitely a step above Hugtto is that Star Twinkle actually went through with whatever themes it tried to, instead of Hugtto which tried to do a lot of things, but they never really managed to deliver on anything.
BardtheTard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
I am so glad Star Twinkle is over. This was a terrible series. They tried to be grandiose and just ended up convaluted. Way to many plot side quests, terrible villians. The cures were dry and bland. There is nothing resealable about it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
BardtheTard wrote:
I am so glad Star Twinkle is over. This was a terrible series. They tried to be grandiose and just ended up convaluted. Way to many plot side quests, terrible villians. The cures were dry and bland. There is nothing resealable about it.

I actually watched an episode of the show on TV Asahi in addition to GeGeGe no Kitaro and One Piece on Fuji TV on my last day in Japan (I went there on my way to the Philippines for a reunion my dad for the International School of Manila's 100th Anniversary), and I have to agree with you. It was pretty weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1