• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams English Dub of Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
After Babylonia I thought they might. Glad I waited.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Is Funimation producing this dub or is it still being done by Bang Zoom and Funimation is just streaming it and are they going to bring back the voice cast for the original Madoka characters?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
its a bang zoom dub
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad to see they’re still using the same dubbing studio. The Madoka dub was really great.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The original Madoka dub wasn't great IMHO, but it did lay the groundwork for better dubs for the actors involved later. I didn't feel like Christine Cabanos truly improved as an actress until I heard her in Tales of Zestiria.

Although I will admit, I'm kind of leery of Kira Buckland as Iroha. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she'll do a great job given the right direction, but I was kind of hoping someone completely new would be cast as Iroha, such as Lizzie Freeman (Cardinal from SAO) or Michelle Marie (Crested Ibis from Kemono Friends). Kira already has a lot of roles already, which is great, but since Bang Zoom has started using newer actors recently, I thought it'd be nice if some of them got a shot. But for all I know, they might show up further down the line. That's just me. Still looking forward to the dub regardless!
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
The original Madoka dub wasn't great IMHO

Everyone agrees, it was when they got to dubbing the movies where they improved for the better.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
This is an Aniplex title, isn't it? Did I miss Funi making a dubbing partnership with them?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
This is an Aniplex title, isn't it? Did I miss Funi making a dubbing partnership with them?
Funimation struck a deal with Aniplex that they have exclusive streaming rights to their dubs for a year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:58 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

Both owned by Sony, so of course Sony would make them play nice
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Both owned by Sony, so of course Sony would make them play nice

Actually, Funimation has been rolled under Aniplex as part of a new joint venture with the other Sony entities AnimeLab and Wakanim. So, I’d expect this kind of thing moving forward.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
I think the only major female LA VA's not in this are Kayli Mills and Cherami Leigh.
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Is Funimation producing this dub or is it still being done by Bang Zoom and Funimation is just streaming it and are they going to bring back the voice cast for the original Madoka characters?

Aniplex seems to be trying to maintain studio consistency for dubbing certain properties, so if Bang Zoom dubbed Fate or Madoka, they'll dub other entries in the franchise, while Funimation will be their go-to for new stuff.

Which is definitely a step up from Netflix so we can avoid Takagi-san or Saiki issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1