• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Monster Girl Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diegontijo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
why Demi-chan is the 3rd in the list when it is the 1st in the poll?
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Difference of personal opinion? Also, it's Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid at the time of THIS writing. Which makes me happy, because out of all the ones in the poll, it's also my personal favorite. (Though let it be said that I also really, really like both Demi-chan and Monster Musume, so....)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
diegontijo wrote:

If I remember correctly, The List isn't necessarily ranking them by order.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
diegontijo wrote:

The column's authors usually present their own personal lists, and then set up polls asking readers what their picks would be. ANN doesn't typically go back and change their original list based on poll results (although the results of the poll will be reported at the bottom of the next The List column).
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
the video has been removed..........

Re: demi-chan
Quote:
This is a cute series about friendship and overcoming stereotypes. Anime cry So pure!
Didn't the girls want to date their teacher or something
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
the video has been removed..........

Re: demi-chan
Quote:
This is a cute series about friendship and overcoming stereotypes. Anime cry So pure!

As I recall, the Dullahan girl was the one with the overt crush on her teacher.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I find the world of Centaur's Life very interesting. There's an old political question; "Is societal safety and peace worth giving up personal liberty?" The society that the manga portrays says yes, even as people are quietly sent to re-education camps for thought crimes.

harminia wrote:

Quote:

Only the dullahan had romantic feelings IIRC. The other students only had platonic feelings, but I haven't caught up with manga.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Machi (Dullahan) had a crush as did Saki the math teacher but that was it in the anime. Hikari (Vampire) was flirtatious but when it came to talking on sexuality, she was too uncomfortable to get into it with her teacher. I believe the columnist's characterization of the theme of the show was quite correct.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the Centaur's Life anime, and while the societal stuff in the series were more or less fine, I got complete tonal whiplash when the episode about the Frog guy happened. We went from a fairly cutesy animal girl show to sudden guerilla fighters and holocaust survivors, only to go back to the cutesy stuff an episode later.

Just saying a little warning would have been nice.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Your lack of Interspecies Reviewers on this list is disturbing.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
To be fair, it's only on episode 5, so it could have a sudden downturn in quality.

But yeah, it's definitely deserves to be in a top 5 so long as it stays as good of an adaptation as it is, and it's going to be a lot of people's favorite monster girl anime. It's probably mine, though I'm the type of person who has trouble picking an all time favorite within a genre partially due to indecisiveness and partially due to bad memory.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I remember watching the Centaur's Life anime, and while the societal stuff in the series were more or less fine, I got complete tonal whiplash when the episode about the Frog guy happened. We went from a fairly cutesy animal girl show to sudden guerilla fighters and holocaust survivors, only to go back to the cutesy stuff an episode later.

Just saying a little warning would have been nice.

The manga isn't better on that front. One chapter, it'll be cute monster girls doing cute things and the next will be about historical hate crimes to justify why current society is as totalitarian as it is. Sometimes, it's in between though like a chapter showing an episode of Magical Girl propaganda and the evils of rule by majority.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Interspecies reviewers got a shout out at the beginning of the video and only has 4/5 episodes out so far, so yay not for this list.

I personally would say dragon maid isn't a monster girl series but, there aren't that many so.

Interviews with monster girls I think does an amazing job of talking about people with disabilities without beating you over the head with it. the manga doesn't actually go that much farther then the anime ever did believe it or not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:50 am Reply with quote
I like this list. But I kind of thought that I was pretty alone with Dropkick on my Devil, its super violence, that felt pretty niche with things like a main character that was always topless (naked). Probably also an anime with those most petty awful personality main characters.

These anime are generally right in my strike zone of my sort of thing, which makes me wonder what that says about me.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Interviews with monster girls I think does an amazing job of talking about people with disabilities without beating you over the head with it.

I agree, I did a comment back when that it touched on a really good level with its little bit about the girl wanting to make a joke about her disability, and not actually comfortable when everyone kept trying to ignore what she was. Something about acknowledgement of problems, some help when needed, while not making it about everything or stepping on egg shells.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:

Also, Inuyasha. Lots of monstrous girls in that.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid for romantic comedy, Rosario + Vampire for ecchi comedy, Dropkick on My Devil for violent comedy, Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun for family comedy, and A Centaur's Life for what initially looks like a slice of life comedy but is really a spoiler[a dystopian story that examines various aspects of society while living under an oppressive government. It is unique in that the oppressive government is a background detail but it can be seen in how the government constantly monitors everyone. The story does swing wildly between optimism and cynicism but a lot of thought was put into that world.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2