• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Force's 3rd Episode Modified After Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
I can't really picture what these edits are gonna look like but hopefully, it doesn't end up compromising the quality of the show.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote
Pink fire; Purple fire; Blue fire; or Green fire. The color of the fire wont affect the artistic composition much considering that fire can pretty much be any color, so its not that big of a deal in terms of censorship.

And seeing as its about fire demons, its not hard to suspend your disbelief for the fire's color.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
I assume the same zunderdog24, there going to make the flame colour look less real.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
This is supernatural fire and fire does get other colors depending on temperature and what it's burning so that's not too worrying at least as an idea. The artistic team in this has been doing a great job and I'm hopeful the edits won't have a negative impact on their output.
Idgal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 am Reply with quote
I dislike the term “broke out” they used in article, it makes seem it was a accident. I rather they use “ a devastating fire, set by arson”
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:51 am Reply with quote
I doubt this is a popular opinion, but rather than do this I'd prefer they wait longer. Wait until next season if necessary.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 am Reply with quote
I'm more curious on how they are going to change the narration then I am the fire color, especially since I know what the next episode entails, and how would they change it going forward.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:36 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
I doubt this is a popular opinion, but rather than do this I'd prefer they wait longer. Wait until next season if necessary.

Why? Those affected by the tragedy arent going to be watching anime during theyre time of grief like this so to me it doesnt make sense to do this
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

Why? Those affected by the tragedy arent going to be watching anime during theyre time of grief like this so to me it doesnt make sense to do this

By that logic then it doesnt make much sense to make changes to the show either then. (I totally see both sides for this argument though)

I'm honestly more worried about what these narration changes are honestly.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
I don't like or agree with these changes, but I don't care enough to really start a petition or anything. I just feel kinda bad for manga readers who wanted to see their favorite scenes colored.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I don't like or agree with these changes, but I don't care enough to really start a petition or anything. I just feel kinda bad for manga readers who wanted to see their favorite scenes colored.

1. It's still being colored.
2. I dont think manga readers give a f about color considering most of the time they rant about how the manga was better regardless of how much work goes into making the anime.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:36 am Reply with quote
I guess it's just for the broadcast and that the Blu Ray will have the episode as it originally was meant to be.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
I was a bit concern about the edit choice at first, but zunderdog and killjoy brought up good points so I am not worry now. It is clear from the first two episodes that this is not a typical fire these specialty firefighters are dealing with. It is more of a supernatural fire, so it would be plausible for the fire to take on different colors. Now I am a bit curious what those colors would be. I do know in the next episode there is going to be a competition so there might not be any supernatural fire at play. However I guess we can think that the people managing the competition are going to create colorful fire by creating the conditions killjoy mentions.

With that said while I do understand why the studio would be editing the show, I question whether this would help, because regardless of what color the fire takes on in the upcoming episodes fire is still fire and the incidents the fire fighters have to deal with in the story are likely still going to bring up memories of what had happen last week. I guess it's because I am looking at the situations/incidents that happens in the story as a whole instead of in parts. In that case it might have been a better idea if they hold off on the anime adaptation at least until the autumn 2019 anime season as hissatsu mentions.

However as Яeverse points out those affected by the incident are most likely not going to be watching this show. Plus I would add putting the anime on hiatus until next season might end up affecting the viewership in a not so good way. But then if that is the case then as Lord Vaultman points out there would be no need for the show to be edited in the first place. There certainly both sides to this issue one can see.

Another thing concerning the change narration, I wonder if this is just going to affect the Japanese dub or would this change carry over to the U.S dub as well. I would not a reason for it to since this event took place in Japan, but it's a possibility. What do you all think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

I agree it makes no sense to do this. I wonder if they are going to start editing all Anime with fire scenes from now on?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Y'all are some robots, I swear.

The idea of editing the fire colors is pretty obviously to lessen the discomfort from a show that is by all accounts going to be brimming with fire imagery - burning buildings, smoke plumes, burning humanoids etc. While yes, it doesn't change the in-universe fact that it's fire, it does a lot to distance itself from real-life fires, with the goal of not directly reminding viewers of a particularly discomforting recent event. It's the same reason plenty of movies immediately post-9/11 digitally removed the World Trade Center from shots of NYC.

If you're not personally bothered by that imagery, that's fine. Everyone's reaction is different. But saying stuff like "I don't see the point" or "they shouldn't change it this is ridiculous!" is at best myopic and at worst horribly insensitive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3