• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Altered Carbon: Resleeved Anime Unveils Trailer, Japanese Cast, March 19 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the CG looks decent this time, at least for me. Must wait and see though.

Nonetheless, it’s very nice to see more anime adaptations of western IPs. Currently there’s this and (technically speaking) War for Cybertron trilogy. Next ones are Blade Runner and Pacific Rim if I remember correctly.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:36 am Reply with quote
Character CG is much too pop-out cartoony, which is unfortunate, as all the background and mecha art is killer. The twain simply don't match at all.
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:40 am Reply with quote
Her name is spelled Reileen, not Leilin.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
That soon, huh. The visuals are more impressive than anything the actual S02 and we got Dai Satô on scripts. Could work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Actual anime on Netflix? How novel...

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Hmm, the CG looks decent this time, at least for me. Must wait and see though.

MrSatyre wrote:
Character CG is much too pop-out cartoony, which is unfortunate, as all the background and mecha art is killer. The twain simply don't match at all.

I'm lamenting Japan's transition to CG and so I'm seeing some of MrSatyre's complaints, but I'm more with Ryuji-Dono in favor of the visuals here, both in terms of how it looks but also just how it fits as an Altered Carbon product. I agree that this generally moves well (though the lipflap animation is not great in the trailer) and it has incredible color depth with clear pallete choices. The tattoos are intricate and well textured, which is one of the things that seems core to this story. It looks videogamey, but that's not out of the bounds of the property.

In general, I think the Lupin the First approach of just animating CG like it's CG instead of trying to clone cartoons with polygons is probably Japan's best way forward, with hand-drawn 2D and some smart new celshading or 2D/3D hybrid design being the choice of very talented artists who know how to use it right, but an artstyle like Resleeved will have its place within limits and when used well.
Winger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
Why doesn't this series has a page in the encyclopedia?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1