• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach's Tite Kubo Turns 'Burn the Witch' 1-Shot Into Full Serialization

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Should probably be noted this is only going to be a mini-seralization like with the Dr. Stone "reboot" manga since there's already some folks thinking it's gonna be a longer project
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The only hint from the livestream about the length of the manga was a comment from Kubo that stated that he is already finished with the manuscripts for the manga. We have noted that comment in the article.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Kubo on getting one over his editors and continuing Bleach I guess...
Tsuna X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Congrats to Kubo on getting one over his editors and continuing Bleach I guess...

This was a myth. Kubo didn't end Bleach early because of his editors, it was because of major health issues. Shueisha in the livestream even said that Kubo had been gone for too long and they wanted him to make more content, which is why they got him to make Burn the Witch into an actual series. I'm surprised this rumour is still so deeply rooted.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I miss this man's shenanigans every week... I hope it runs for a year.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not a fan of Bleach, I am a fan of Kubo's artwork. For me he ranks in the top 10 of non hentai artists.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Burn the Witch was a fun one shot, and since this series will be short hopefully it will have a better ending then Bleach
JonDoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Should probably be noted this is only going to be a mini-seralization like with the Dr. Stone "reboot" manga since there's already some folks thinking it's gonna be a longer project

The "short term serialization" nature of this series is what piqued my interest. No doubt it's a choice that was brought on by the amount of emotional stress Kubo endured over Bleach's 15 year long serialization. Hopefully this thing doesn't make the same mistakes Bleach did. Cause I'm honestly more interested in this thing than Bleach coming back.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 am Reply with quote
Tsuna X wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:

This was a myth. Kubo didn't end Bleach early because of his editors, it was because of major health issues. Shueisha in the livestream even said that Kubo had been gone for too long and they wanted him to make more content, which is why they got him to make Burn the Witch into an actual series. I'm surprised this rumour is still so deeply rooted.

That's because it isn't entirely a rumor, but a founded mass guess. He did have quite a bit of trouble with editors since, as he himself complained about in a tankobon, he was basically forced to make the Arrancar arc be double the length it was supposed to be.

Given how the manga was prematurely axed, be it for health problems and for Kubo's own proclaimed disatisfaction with his work under Jump (read the entire twitter comic he drawed about it the day he came back to that site), that's quite a safe thing to assume, which was never confirmed NOT to be true in the first place.

Evidences are still pilled up pointing towards the former more than the latter, so yeah, it's no surprise this is the conclusion a lot of people went with (as this kind of background stuff usually goes without much being announced, much like manga "suddenly ending" and never being straight proclaimed as "axed" by the magazine itself, despite how obvious it is to see that was indeed the case).
Tsuna X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Tsuna X wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:

That's because it isn't entirely a rumor, but a founded mass guess. He did have quite a bit of trouble with editors since, as he himself complained about in a tankobon, he was basically forced to make the Arrancar arc be double the length it was supposed to be.

Given how the manga was prematurely axed, be it for health problems and for Kubo's own proclaimed disatisfaction with his work under Jump (read the entire twitter comic he drawed about it the day he came back to that site), that's quite a safe thing to assume, which was never confirmed NOT to be true in the first place.

Evidences are still pilled up pointing towards the former more than the latter, so yeah, it's no surprise this is the conclusion a lot of people went with (as this kind of background stuff usually goes without much being announced, much like manga "suddenly ending" and never being straight proclaimed as "axed" by the magazine itself, despite how obvious it is to see that was indeed the case).

There's no hard 'evidence' for it, it's just a single comment that was taken out of context. I don't doubt that he would have had issues with his editor a few times, in fact I'm sure most mangaka do. But nothing tells you that this was the reason it was rushed at the end. In fact, Bleach being cancelled is highly unlikely given how much shueisha are investing in it even during the current state of the world. If it was cancelled then it wouldn't get an anime.
It's also an extremely best-selling manga (among the wsj top 10 in terms of sales iirc).

On the other hand, Kubo has always had health issues which has come up far more than any supposed beef with editor's. He himself mentions how he completely busted his shoulder by the tone he finished Bleach (in an interview with Matsui).
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:21 am Reply with quote
Tsuna X wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Tsuna X wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:

There's no hard 'evidence' for it, it's just a single comment that was taken out of context. I don't doubt that he would have had issues with his editor a few times, in fact I'm sure most mangaka do. But nothing tells you that this was the reason it was rushed at the end. In fact, Bleach being cancelled is highly unlikely given how much shueisha are investing in it even during the current state of the world. If it was cancelled then it wouldn't get an anime.
It's also an extremely best-selling manga (among the wsj top 10 in terms of sales iirc).

On the other hand, Kubo has always had health issues which has come up far more than any supposed beef with editor's. He himself mentions how he completely busted his shoulder by the tone he finished Bleach (in an interview with Matsui).

I think there's enough evidence to at least justify that people can rightfully assume that was the case, which was my point, not saying it's the reality of facts by any means, and even if it was we would likely never know about, that's just how the business goes, side comments and rants aside, which always escape here and there.

Nobody is denying Kubo's health wasn't part of the issue, that's actually the only thing we truly have very solid facts to be based on. And no, despite Bleach being an absolute juggernaut even during the entire inactive period in which Jump didn't even bother to promote it outside some rare occasions involving KLAB's high grossing mobile game for it (which is from where most of the series' registered income came from after the manga ended), they never once attempted to revive the series even with the release of the TYBW summons hype during the mobage's prime in popularity years ago.

They actually commented a bit on today's livestream about how they kinda just came to Kubo like "you are inactive for too long now, here, get some boost", and Kubo himself commented on how he never even expected that this would ever happen, a Bleach return (just to show how much Jump was giving a shit to one of their biggest money makers ever).

Then again, Jump's has a history with this stuff, and that's just part of their model.

They are likely doing it now because Samurai8 was an utter flop and got the axe, and some of their main best selling titles as of currently are coming to an end soon enough.
Serinox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
I think there's enough evidence to at least justify that people can rightfully assume that was the case, which was my point, not saying it's the reality of facts by any means, and even if it was we would likely never know about, that's just how the business goes, side comments and rants aside, which always escape here and there.

Nobody is denying Kubo's health wasn't part of the issue, that's actually the only thing we truly have very solid facts to be based on. And no, despite Bleach being an absolute juggernaut even during the entire inactive period in which Jump didn't even bother to promote it outside some rare occasions involving KLAB's high grossing mobile game for it (which is from where most of the series' registered income came from after the manga ended), they never once attempted to revive the series even with the release of the TYBW summons hype during the mobage's prime in popularity years ago.

They actually commented a bit on today's livestream about how they kinda just came to Kubo like "you are inactive for too long now, here, get some boost", and Kubo himself commented on how he never even expected that this would ever happen, a Bleach return (just to show how much Jump was giving a shit to one of their biggest money makers ever).

Then again, Jump's has a history with this stuff, and that's just part of their model.

They are likely doing it now because Samurai8 was an utter flop and got the axe, and some of their main best selling titles as of currently are coming to an end soon enough.

1. The TYBW anime adaptation is not the decision of Jump alone. They said in the livestream that they have been working to get this project going for a while now.

2. Kubo himself said in a radio interview one year after the end of Bleach that he ended the manga of his own terms and even worked through his health problems until he reached the ending he always envisioned at the start of the series and that he was satifisfied with, because he didn't want the series to end prematurely. He reached that ending he was satisfied with, by his own account.

3. What kind of promotion is Jump supposed to give to a series that ended? They did promote the live action movie, they got Kubo to do a one-shot for their big anniversary and now they worked to get the anime back on the road. What more could you ask for?
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Serinox wrote:
danpmss wrote:

1. The TYBW anime adaptation is not the decision of Jump alone. They said in the livestream that they have been working to get this project going for a while now.

2. Kubo himself said in a radio interview one year after the end of Bleach that he ended the manga of his own terms and even worked through his health problems until he reached the ending he always envisioned at the start of the series and that he was satifisfied with, because he didn't want the series to end prematurely. He reached that ending he was satisfied with, by his own account.

3. What kind of promotion is Jump supposed to give to a series that ended? They did promote the live action movie, they got Kubo to do a one-shot for their big anniversary and now they worked to get the anime back on the road. What more could you ask for?

1- Good point, I may give you that one, Pierrot's staff for Bleach at that point (end of Bleach's manga in mid 2016, and end of Naruto in early 2017) was occupied with the (spiritual) sucessors for both Naruto and Bleach (Boruto and Black Clover, Boruto being their immediate priority after the end of the other even bigger juggernaut, and Noriyuki pretty much was in charge of the first 100 episodes or so for it) and doing good with them, maybe it would indeed be a bad decision to come up with an adaptation for the final arc with a different staff despite the amazingly high demand for it. In fact, if that was the case we had to wait for so long, I wouldn't mind as much, yet again, that is business.

2- He only said he wrote the end the way he originally envisioned, and that's as far as the information goes. As for the means that brought us to the end, he rushed all of the rest in before that epilogue at a certain point (which on its own terms felt rushed because it had no proper build up leading to it).

And that's actually ambiguous as well, as we don't know if he was only referring to the actual finale's end-game for the characters, or just for the finale itself, actually, just that it was on his plans to end up like that (as he wanted to do it like the sick boy who wrote him a letter to do so or something like that iirc, something along the lines of "you haven't been writing the way you wanted lately, and I hope you can finish the series the way you want to", to which Kubo's personal statement there was "and so I wrote at least wrote the ending the way I intended to").

I also saw to the radio thing (actually read a transcription of it), and again, as I said before, the only thing that we know is that the ending per se was what he was satisfied with, not all of what it led to it (albeit I can see where he was going with some plot points, foreshadowing the Fullbringers return during the second half of the final arc... and how that was executed instead...).

I personally don't have many problems with most of the final arc and how it was explaining everything that was put in there from the start of the manga, as it was at least taking its time with some exposition dump despite progressing ungodly slow with the fights weekly, but I do have a big ass problem on how he dropped most of the ongoing plot threads and relevant info (some of which popped up later in the book series sequel) to rush everything in a couple of chapters and end it with that distant, isolated even, epilogue, and it was clear from the pacing that was not the originally intended way to end.

Hell, didn't he straight say his axe was a "mutual agreement with the editorial staff", even because his health was very poor (and I'm pretty sure that one was on the radio interview as well)?

Anyway, TL;DR, point in hand is that is that it was clearly not the way he envisioned "giving closure to the manga", but more of how he wanted the end to be like (which I honestly, unlike many people, mostly shippers) wouldn't have many problems with if it was at least built up properly and more expanded upon, as the page limit was clearly an issue all things considered, and that can be easily noticed looking at how the epilogue was distributed and presented, I can see all of that working with more pages, like a mini post-arc epilogue of a sort like early Bleach, except not leading to a bigger arc, but to that finale's elements).

3- Yeah, there was the movie too, you are right, but at least confirming this sequel to be planned already (but without a date, hell, this is something many magazines do and sometimes the anime comes up to 10 years later) would be more than enough to most of the fans, and they didn't bother to do so, likely because, as Kubo well said on the latest stream, there weren't plans for it, and he never even expect it to happen. They literally abandoned Bleach except for the KLAB contract for the game (which led to Bluray collections later on), the live action movie (which was already in the works as early as few months after the manga's ending and mostly a Warner Japan contract initiative more than anything).

And other than that, the anniversary one-shot, the release of the final arc in the mobile game (and several other opportunities during its years of activity before this announcement) even before that, and the movie release (which was a box office sucess), they were all other great opportunities to announce the anime. And yes, I'm giving big enphasis to the mobile game for not only being a surprisingly well made licensed game for the series, it was actually some of the most high grossing products for it overall worldwide.

Concluding, to your question "What more could you ask for?":
To be announced way earlier than what it was, except that wouldn't be possible since apparently they never had plans for it until recently, much for Kubo's own surprise (that they actually even did it, that is).
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
Divineking wrote:

The "short term serialization" nature of this series is what piqued my interest. No doubt it's a choice that was brought on by the amount of emotional stress Kubo endured over Bleach's 15 year long serialization. Hopefully this thing doesn't make the same mistakes Bleach did. Cause I'm honestly more interested in this thing than Bleach coming back.

I also hope this means it's monthly. For his health and how good his artwork will be with a month to work.
Serinox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
but at least confirming this sequel to be planned already (but without a date, hell, this is something many magazines do and sometimes the anime comes up to 10 years later)

That's not really that common at all, tbh. And it would be damn risky. What if the project never works out? You got the fan hopes up for nothing and have to explain to them why the project won't come after all. You don't just announce something like "The sequel is planned", when the sequel is not actually planned.

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
JonDoe wrote:
Divineking wrote:

I also hope this means it's monthly. For his health and how good his artwork will be with a month to work.

It's confirmed to be weekly, but Kubo said that he has already finished the manuscripts and will be chilling playing Animal Crossing by the time we get to read the manga and see the movie, so it should work out fine for his health.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1