• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gou Tanabe Launches New H.P Lovecraft Manga Adapting The Shadow Over Innsmouth Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
I've always found the treatments of the Cthulu mythos by people who came after Lovecraft to be more interesting than Lovecraft's works themselves, but I've been meaning to check out Tanabe's work. There seems to be an active Lovecraft following in Japan --- I've seen several collections of original short stories from Japan.

Ruthanna Emrys has a series of novels, beginning with A winter tide, that retells the story of Innsmouth from the perspective of the residents. The narrator is one of the last survivors, after the government forcibly removed the population to internment camps that were later repurposed for Japanese Americans during WWII.

... And, of course ANN's own "House of a thousand manga" Jason Thompson had his own graphic novel treatments of Lovecraft's The dream quest of the unknown Kadath.

Re: Lovecraft in Japan (Ken Asamatsu?, really?): https://lovecraftzine.com/2013/01/09/the-cthulhu-mythos-in-japan/
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Ken Asamatsu?, really?)

Not the "Love Hina" guy, if that's what you're thinking; that's Ken Akamatsu.

A couple of Asamatsu's Lovecraftian books are available in translation.

When I searched on his name, I got a mixture of Mythos and Love Hina results, though . Very Happy
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
... And, of course ANN's own "House of a thousand manga" Jason Thompson had his own graphic novel treatments of Lovecraft's The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Wait, that was this Jason Thompson? I've always been amazed by the graphic design in that version and how it manages to make its style work so well; super cool!

Meanwhile, I have to say that I'm curious but also dreading this a little bit. The Shadow Over Innsmouth is one of Lovecraft's most problematic works, and given the historical and ongoing issues with depictions of race in manga and anime, this feels like a potential recipe for some deeply painful and cringeworthy work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1