• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Re:ZERO Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu: Hyōketsu no Kizuna

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you want extra appreciation of some of the events that will be shown in season 2, then you owe it to yourself to watch them.

So the big question, then, is whether or not Crunchyroll is going to pick these up and make them available before the next season debuts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
If you want extra appreciation of some of the events that will be shown in season 2, then you owe it to yourself to watch them.

So the big question, then, is whether or not Crunchyroll is going to pick these up and make them available before the next season debuts.

And that is the question of the day.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:

You know, I got spoiled by steins;gate because in one of it's reruns it changed the ending slightly; thenit was revealed as a set up for a second season. In teh case of rezero, there could be a small epilogue or after credits scene added, where they show a certain thing that happens in the novels right as that arc ends, but that they skipped in the anime, because that event completely changes the tone of that arc's end.

spoiler[ in the trip back, rem gets erased by the whale priest.] but, well, I guess we will get a double feature first episode where they will start with that scene.

Come to think about it, umineko kept that scene as an epilogue to the anime series, but the second season never materialized.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The villain talks a big game but ultimately comes off as a "monster of the week"-type throwaway villain, who is only really there to make Puck show off the full extent of his abilities.

The worst part is that the entire backstory of the main villain is the single biggest cut they made from the source material. I know it was for time and if we're being frank it's probably the obvious choice for removal since it won't have much relevance going foward, but it was still a shame it didn't make it in.

Anyhow, it's good to hear that Watanabe ceding the director chair to Kenichi Kawamura didn't seem to have much of an impact on the production, even if the former was still involved with development in one form or another.

Quote:

Well if the recent rumors of Season 2 debutting in the first half of next year pan out, not much hope of that for the vast majority of people reading this. I will say this tough, watching Bond of Ice after Season 2 would actually be an experience closer to what the hardcore Re:Zero fans in Japan experienced, as the events in Season 2 were published in Web Novel format before Frozen Bonds was published.

In fact, going into this OVA already knowing where Season 2 will take Emilia and knowing all the secrets that this prequel dances around to avoid spoiling the main story would probably negate some of the issues Kim seemed to have with the OVA not really moving Emilia's resolve foward and teasing emotional beats it's not actually ready to uncover yet. International fans who watch this afterwards may actually end up benefitting from the delay in that regard.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
This review, I think, is pretty genuine and restrospectively accurate in its evaluation of how it's supposed to be taken. People who already have the context from the next arc will benefit from this as extra depth. Those who haven't read ahead will be best treating this as a hint toward the next arc rather than something meant to stand on its own. As I've said many times before, I don't think this OVA will change the overwhelming support for Rem compared to Emilia in the fanbase "waifu wars", but it will sow the seeds needed to convert people over to the Emilia camp later. =P
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Yea, hope this won’t end up like Psycho-Pass with the Sinners of the System movies being unlicensed in the west while the next season airs.
Crunchyroll got the Konosuba OVAs this summer, so maybe they can do something about it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm bumping this thread because this episode is now finally available on Crunchyroll.

While I found this to be a bit more involving and emotional than Kim did (probably primarily because Emilia is still my Best Girl for the series), I can't disagree with Kim's criticisms, especially the ones about how many unanswered questions it leaves or the martyr card being overplayed. Still, I think this is very important for understanding where Emilia is coming from and why she might genuinely care about Subaru.

(I must say, that cabin in the tree looked pretty damn cozy to me, even if it was meant to symbolize her isolation.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1