• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Holds 'Lite' Event in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
{Edit}: Your post was removed for being a rude stereotype and nothing more than troll bait. ~ Psycho 101
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
Conventions as a source of news are archaic and should probably stop being a thing anyway.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Conventions as a source of news are archaic and should probably stop being a thing anyway.

There’s something to be said for the sense of community that conventions bring, but it’s that sense of community which is why conventions should hold off. Even SDCC is doing their usual press rounds digitally this year.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder why funimation is not on board
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

Maybe they had plans before AX did? Aniplex of America not being featured on the list is pretty notable as well though. Although, they've been slowly making release announcements so they probably don't really have anything to show without spending the money on guests without hope for a return...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I completely agree with this. It sucks that many small and medium size conventions are probably going to go bankrupt due to the economic effects of the pandemic, but I hope that the surviving conventions rethink things and change how they operate.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

they have their own online convention the same weekend
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
Yea, conventions are totally outdated for news and therefore should just be canceled. It's not like they're places where fans gather to share their love of fandom with others. It's not like huge groups get together to cosplay together and make great memories. It's not like you can find some cool unique and fun items in the artist alley or dealer's room from small businesses. It's not like you can watch world premieres and hold onto that memory that you saw the world live premieres of things. It's not like you get to meet all sort of industry people or friends from online you might not otherwise see. It's not like often the cons, especially smaller to medium sized ones, are some of the only places many fans feel they can be themselves.

Nope, they're simply outdated and shouldn't exist.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

Maybe they had plans before AX did? Aniplex of America not being featured on the list is pretty notable as well though. Although, they've been slowly making release announcements so they probably don't really have anything to show without spending the money on guests without hope for a return...

Is it though? Sony owns Aniplex and Funi. I wouldn't be shocked to see some Aniplex content on Funi's.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101

Sarcasm aside, I agree that conventions can be a great place to connect with fellow fans and make memories. But in the post pandemic world the anime industry is probably going to have to cut back in the size of conventions. I personally don't care for huge corporate cons like A/X, but I totally want to see small and medium size cons that focus more on fan panels and content continue to exist.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is going to be an online event because even a "lite" offline event seems like it would still be risky. I wonder how this is going to effect Funimation's online con that they already scheduled for the same weekend.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's only online. A lot of people from different states and counties come over for AX
It doesn't help they go on buses and the LA convention center isn't that big (I wish it would move to a bigger one like at the Anaheim convention center after this is over)
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Yea, conventions are totally outdated for news and therefore should just be canceled.

I'm not sure if that's what Kougeru meant; maybe the intended meaning was just "we don't need to get news about upcoming anime from cons anymore, because we have the internet, and this site specifically" rather than "cons are pointless." I go to several anime cons, mainly for the obvious social reasons, but I agree that the hype-building industry panels are somewhat unnecessary these days. Haven't gone to any of those panels in years, and the vast majority of them happen at events too far away for me anyway.

And I'd be pretty surprised if this "Lite" AX isn't entirely online. Doing anything in-person would defeat the purpose of cancelling the main event.
TD912

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The play button in the logo strongly implies it will be online, probably as a live stream of sorts. I do wonder what will happen to cons later in the year though. Anime NYC is still planned despite the Javits Center being set up as a temporary hospital until at least this fall.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 pm Reply with quote
10 people does not make a convention, that is a local anime meeting.

Conventions will come back (probably not this year, but next year), because sporting events will be coming back. The world is like a DVR, you can only keep the show paused for only so long before it fades to black. So the play button has to be pushed before that happens. People have to eat and have a roof over their head, and you need jobs for that.
Some things will probably change at the conventions to make a new normal, but it will still happen.

As for the need for conventions; well anime conventions have something for everyone one. Artist Alleys, Anime Art Display, Cos-Players, Cos-Play events, Anime Music events, Video Gaming, and the dancing. I go for the spectacle of it all and the dealer's room. Been lucky to attend two Anime Japan conventions, and the spectacle of the massive Industry Booths is without compare. There is something for everyone.

As for industry news and announcements, who cares. Does it really matter if they do it at the convention or via the internet, or both. Why is it even a thing to say where it can't be held. Those not attending are going to hear it within minutes anyway on the internet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2