• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Kinda of expected this. Guess the Funi haters can breathe a sigh of relief.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Guess they're streaming the "normal" version based on the date. I wonder if they'll also have the (I presume) uncensored (or at least less censored) "great philosopher" version when that ''airs" or if they'll update it to that version after that date.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Guess they're streaming the "normal" version based on the date. I wonder if they'll also have the (I presume) uncensored (or at least less censored) "great philosopher" version when that ''airs" or if they'll update it to that version after that date.

They'll probably wait until the blu-ray to drop the uncersored version. I think they did that with Domestic Girlfriend and Why Are You Here, Teacher?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I am so resigned to see Sentai turn into a minor player in licencing anime that this announcement surprised me. Who knew that someone was still capable of taking a license away from mighty Funimation.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Guess the Funi haters can breathe a sigh of relief.

I don't hate them, but monopolies are not good.
Joryn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Sentai's still getting stuff. Funi and Crunchy just get more because they're relatively big. With HiDive, though, maybe Sentai will get more into the game. They still have the rights for some fairly popular titles as well, like DanMachi.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am so resigned to see Sentai turn into a minor player in licencing anime that this announcement surprised me. Who knew that someone was still capable of taking a license away from mighty Funimation.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Joryn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Covnam wrote:

They'll probably wait until the blu-ray to drop the uncersored version. I think they did that with Domestic Girlfriend and Why Are You Here, Teacher?

Maybe. I'm sure there's some licensing that depends on. They did do a limited time simuldub run of the uncensored version of Kandegawa Jet Girls after all.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:15 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am so resigned to see Sentai turn into a minor player in licencing anime that this announcement surprised me. Who knew that someone was still capable of taking a license away from mighty Funimation

Its not like Sentai doesnt license stuff anymore so this comment makes little to no sense to me. Also maybe this show wasn't on Funis radar. They got Hxeros (through Aniplex) and all the shows they licensed last season got backed up because of Covid so they might not grab anything else this coming season (unless they announce it at their con or something).

They just got deeper pockets. Not much wrong with that.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am so resigned to see Sentai turn into a minor player in licencing anime that this announcement surprised me. Who knew that someone was still capable of taking a license away from mighty Funimation

Its not like Sentai doesnt license stuff anymore so this comment makes little to no sense to me. Also maybe this show wasn't on Funis radar.
It is odd, they may not license as many titles, but they've still got a steady stream of them. The only issue they have is that Funimation can easily get the big popular titles, even ones that were formerly dubbed by ADV. Yet that doesn't seem like the case here, so what's so surprising.
Changeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
The AT-X channel will also show the alleged uncensored version before the streamings: https://www.at-x.com/program/detail/12323
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I wasn’t sure if either Crunchyroll or Funimation would get this one, but I completely forgot about Sentai and this series seems like a solid fit for them.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
For some reason, I wasn’t sure if either Crunchyroll or Funimation would get this one, but I completely forgot about Sentai and this series seems like a solid fit for them.

Well after they grabbed Domestic Girlfriend, anything's possible for Sentai. I mean Funimation is mostly looked as the king of Ecchi (which isnt completely unearned given their overall catalog) but most people tend to forget that Sentai mostly gets the shows based on eroge so they've had a foundation. I know Peter Grill isn't an eroge, I'm just saying thats what I've some to realize.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:57 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I agree, plus bigger/wide spread a company the more their likely to end up censoring things because of corporate images considerations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1