×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest 2020 w/ Ciarán Strange! • It's a match made in Halloween! Voice actor Ciaran Strange is joining our Spooktacular Pumpkin Carving Contest as a guest judge! Click to find out how YOU can win over US$1,000 in anime! read more

Forum - View topic
Your Fall 2020 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 744
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I kinda hope Lynzee isn't too familiar with Higurashi because a part of me was hoping the person who got picked would be someone going into this with zero experience with the franchise. That'd be interesting lol

Talentless Nana and Warlords of Sigrdrifa also got picked up (congrats Kim lol) so I'm satisfied
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KitKat1721



Joined: 03 Feb 2015
Posts: 357
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nice, pretty sure everything I'm watching got picked up! Particularly looking forward to Gymnastics Samurai, Akudama Drive, Higurashi, and Yashahime. With the last two, I wonder how familiar the reviewers are with those franchises? I don't think it will matter too much for Yashahime, but it could be really interesting either way for Higurashi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 787
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Nice, pretty sure everything I'm watching got picked up! Particularly looking forward to Gymnastics Samurai, Akudama Drive, Higurashi, and Yashahime. With the last two, I wonder how familiar the reviewers are with those franchises? I don't think it will matter too much for Yashahime, but it could be really interesting either way for Higurashi.


James mentioned in the preview guide that he's seen all of Inuyasha pretty recently. Lynzee is definitely a fan of Higurashi already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AsuraTheDestructor



Joined: 24 Dec 2013
Posts: 370
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
No one wanted to do Dragon Quest, huh?

Sigh.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 2919
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the Digimon reviews are continuing but I'm sad that Dragon Quest didn't make the cut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3ngag3



Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Posts: 145
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Quest should have 100% made the cut. What happened?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2778
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Surprised king raid didn't make the cut, I though those kind of anime were pretty popular. Surprised warlord did make the cut, wasn't there another show along the line of "cute girl flaying old timey plane" maybe 2 years ago that never got picked up? By the grace of god didn't make it, but kuma isekai and 1 millions did? Wonder how close they were in the poll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DranzerX13



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Posts: 71
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai didn't make it. It should have made it, especially the fact that the story gets much better later on. The remake will take around 26 episodes instead of 46 to get to the new content with the pace the remake is going.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger My Anime
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16348
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Surprised king raid didn't make the cut, I though those kind of anime were pretty popular. Surprised warlord did make the cut, wasn't there another show along the line of "cute girl flaying old timey plane" maybe 2 years ago that never got picked up? By the grace of god didn't make it, but kuma isekai and 1 millions did? Wonder how close they were in the poll.

You're thinking of The Magnificent KOTOBUKI from the Winter 2019 season. Since that one didn't make the cut, I was surprised that this one did. Presumably the lesser use of CG had something to do with it. . .

Not all that surprised By The Grace of Gods didn't make it, and honestly, having read most of the source material that's likely to be adapted, I don't think it would make for interesting week-to-week commentary anyway. OTOH, 1 Mil Lives seems potentially more provocative and 3xKuma falls into a similar space as BOFURI does; I would have been shocked if it hadn't made the cut. King's Raid I thought had about a 50-50 chance, but explicitly game-connected series missing the mark aren't unusual.

Most of the other titles that missed weren't surprises to me. The only one that I'm genuinely disappointed didn't make it was Magatsu Wahrheit, but its chances were crippled by the long delay in the subs showing up yesterday. I will definitely look at reviewing that one at the end of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James_Beckett



Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 209
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:
Nice, pretty sure everything I'm watching got picked up! Particularly looking forward to Gymnastics Samurai, Akudama Drive, Higurashi, and Yashahime. With the last two, I wonder how familiar the reviewers are with those franchises? I don't think it will matter too much for Yashahime, but it could be really interesting either way for Higurashi.


James mentioned in the preview guide that he's seen all of Inuyasha pretty recently. Lynzee is definitely a fan of Higurashi already.


I haven't seen all of it - only about 80 episodes - but my wife has, and between what I've seen and her commentary about future episodes, I feel like I have enough of a baseline for covering Yashahime, though I'm sure super fans will be able to spot callbacks that I totally miss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
invalidname
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 2091
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought Theron might get The Day I Became a God, since he handled Key's Rewrite quite a while back (but not Charlotte, which went to Gabriella, or Planetarian, which Nick covered).

Still, as much as I've liked some of Key's works… man, that first episode was a slog. It's like the anti-Angel Beats, the first episode of which got me interested and eager for more, while 10 minutes of Kamisama made me want it to be over already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Engineering Nerd



Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 776
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I was about to say everything I followed has been covered until I realized Our Last Crusade got left over, I guess the popularity isn’t warrant one, huh. (Well, at least the manga and novel counterpart got reviewed here although if my memory serves me right, they aren’t very favorable either)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenRen94



Joined: 08 Jul 2018
Posts: 136
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I am on my hands and knees literally thanking every deity in the universe for blessing me with Hypnosis Mic reviews. I didn't think it would get in, but thankfully the preview guide reviews were pretty positive, so that probably helped. Can't wait to read Lynzee's reviews!

On the other hand, I'm sad that Osomatsu-san 3 didn't get in, that first episode had me rolling. I also liked Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai quite a bit, and MWZ was alright, but like Key said, may have been hurt with the delay in subs.

I'll be reading reviews from multiple reviewers like always, but looks like my mains are James and Rebecca this season. Especially looking forward to Haikyuu, Moriarty, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Yashahime!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1864
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a good review season. Good to see 1,000,000 Lives, Sigrdrifa, and Assault Lily as I'm curious to see how these turn out, but not sure if I'll get to watching them any time soon.

Would have liked to see Magatsu, King's Raid, Our Last Crusade, Fruit Tart & Adachi for the same reason. At least we might get a season review for Magatsu Smile

I'm not surprised by Dragon Quest and By The Grace of Gods not getting voted. I think based on the first two episodes you know what you're going to get with these series, so I can see why they weren't voted for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16348
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I was about to say everything I followed has been covered until I realized Our Last Crusade got left over, I guess the popularity isn’t warrant one, huh. (Well, at least the manga and novel counterpart got reviewed here although if my memory serves me right, they aren’t very favorable either)

That was the other one I was a little surprised about. I liked the way its second episode played out a bit more than the novel version, so I may try to follow it.* If I do then it will get an end-of-season review as well.

*Aside from what I'm reviewing, the only titles that I am certain to follow are DanMachi III, Yashahime, Talentless Nana, and Sleepy Princess. Won't have time to keep up with more than maybe 3-4 others, but what those will be remains to be seen.

EDIT:
Quote:
I am on my hands and knees literally thanking every deity in the universe for blessing me with Hypnosis Mic reviews. I didn't think it would get in, but thankfully the preview guide reviews were pretty positive, so that probably helped. Can't wait to read Lynzee's reviews!

Probably worried for nothing, as there was no way that one wasn't making the cut. It stood out too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group