• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Jujutsu Kaisen Horror-Action Perfection

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Is that Jake the Dog on gamma rays?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the writing of Jujutsu Kaisen gets a lot more refined around the current events in the Anime. You can tell Gege sensei takes a lot of inspiration from Togashi.
VoltageMessiah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It baffles me that people who watch and talk about anime for a living haven't managed to internalize the fact that tonal dissonance and whiplash are just part of the culture and medium. It seems like someone brings up "tone problems" every other TWIA and then just ends up immediately excusing it right after. It's not an actual flaw so why bring it up? It's one of the things that makes anime such an enjoyable and distinct medium. Gotta learn to just roll with it and appreciate it.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like when the series villain team make their debut inside an Applebee's:
That makes it better than usual. Instead of lurking in your standard cave or dungeon evil walks in broad daylight among humans, just like them. A terribly banal setting gains meaning and menace through the stark contrast of Getou and co's conversation and subsequent arson and murder.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:29 am Reply with quote
I think the biggest flaw I can say about JJK is that I read it after reading all of chainsaw man at the time, and if someone was going to tell me JJK was this crazy out of left field thing, all I could really say was "It's not chainsaw man."

That being said I really enjoyed reading JJK and the anime adaptation has been pretty great sofar, the only actual problem I have with it is one scene where Megumi is thrown through several buildings when in the manga emphasis is placed on him needing his shikigami to tank lethal blows like that, unless I'm missing something he can't just shrug something like that off.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
VoltageMessiah wrote:
It baffles me that people who watch and talk about anime for a living haven't managed to internalize the fact that tonal dissonance and whiplash are just part of the culture and medium.

You can make an anime that doesn't have so much tonal dissonance as the original Fullmetal Alchemist and others have shown. This isn't really as prevalent as you think it is.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:34 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
You can make an anime that doesn't have so much tonal dissonance as the original Fullmetal Alchemist and others have shown. This isn't really as prevalent as you think it is.

Wasn't the original FMA the one filled with jokes abot Ed's heigh, Mustang's obsession with miniskirts, and other stuff? I don't think Brotherhood actually referenced Mustang's love of miniskirts since it was an omake gag and not supposed to be 'canon'.

But regardless, the existence of some shows that don't do it doesn't really change that a lot of the medium is that way. Look at the top anime out there like One Piece or Dragonball. Those shift between idiotic comedy and serious drama on a dime quite often. I agree it's a pretty obvious part of the medium. Especially if we're talking about a kids series in a WSJ.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
JJK has been fantastic, and Gojou’s the MVP . Can I just say how refreshing it is to have a teacher/mentor character who actually *teaches*? Sure, Kakashi gave a lesson a couple times, but he seemed more annoyed that his charges didn’t already know stuff. Gojou seems like a decent teacher who actually cares about his students (so far), on top of being that usual combination of cool, confident and capable that mentor types are. The fact that he’s hoping to spark a revolution but wants to take his time to plan it effectively is the icing on the cake.

Hmmm, never thought of “tonal whiplash” as a fundamental anime trope, but you may have a point there, VoltageMessiah. I definitely think some anime does it better than others, and Jujutsu Kaisen does it better than most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1