• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Sony Trades Crackle Stake to Chicken Soup For The Soul Entertainment for Stock

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
That headline alone just sounds hilarious when you read it out loud. Laughing
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
My brain short-circuited three times trying to read that headline. Still doesn't make sense.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I had to read the article since I was like, "Sony's doing what for soup?"
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
People still read chicken soup books
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone remember when The Emoji Movie (made by Sony) was shamelessly flogging Crackle? No? Oh, good actually.

Crackle used to have a fair amount of anime, though they have basically none today. I believe they’re the only English-language service that ever streamed the Valkyria Chronicles anime that Aniplex made, based on the Sega video game.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
My brain short-circuited three times trying to read that headline. Still doesn't make sense.

I hope it isn't changed, it's perfect the way it is… Laughing

Crackle used to have a fairly good offering—including with anime—though never was one of the best, but, it's quality and quantity have nosedived sharply in the last few years. I just hope their exclusive-ish Animax titles like Kurozuka, Viper's Creed, and Ultraviolet: Code 044 will show up on FUNimation/Crunchyroll/Whatever-The-Heck-They-Are-Going-to-Be at some point in the future. Crackle's long been in desperate need of a reboot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Shorter clickbait title: Chicken Soup Stock Traded for Crackle Stake. Smile
el_morris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Great, now I want some soup for dinner but we have no chicken in the fridge.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Morry wrote:

I hope it isn't changed, it's perfect the way it is… Laughing

Crackle used to have a fairly good offering—including with anime—though never was one of the best, but, it's quality and quantity have nosedived sharply in the last few years. I just hope their exclusive-ish Animax titles like Kurozuka, Viper's Creed, and Ultraviolet: Code 044 will show up on FUNimation/Crunchyroll/Whatever-The-Heck-They-Are-Going-to-Be at some point in the future. Crackle's long been in desperate need of a reboot.

I remember back when Crackle hosted a dub of the first season of Nodame Cantabile. It's the only legal method I have ever seen for watching Nodame Cantabile in the US. It's a shame Crackle went downhill because I would have liked to have seen the following two seasons. Sad

(I've been out of the loop, but still don't think that has happened anywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was hoping that Sony buying Funimation might lead to a home video release for Nodame/Pari-hen/Final or at least the first season. Not really surprised by this news though. Crackle never really did anything for Sony.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:16 am Reply with quote
Makes sense. Crackle never worked for them. Why keep a stake in it, especially since they and Chicken Soup for the Soul have very different angles?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I'm just here for the headline talk, too.

All I get is that it seems to involve Sony and an unholy bargain of some sort -- not sure who's trading their soul or how much chicken stock they're getting for it, though.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
They were randomly streaming Tokyo Godfathers this month and just in time for the holidays even though Sony no longer owns the rights to it. I guess it won't be on Crackle anymore. Hopefully Netflix will stream it eventually like they've done some other GKids titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1