• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is “When Marnie was there” so underexposed?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:29 am Reply with quote
I recently got a chance to watch When Marnie was there on Netflix. It left a very strong impact on me, and I’m still thinking about it days later now. I’m not generally a big Studio Ghibli fan, in fact the only other SG film I really like is Whisper of the Heart. I think I may have seen this mentioned in lists of Ghibli films previously but because I’m not really a fan of the studio I never sought it out. If it wasn’t on Netflix I probably wouldn’t have watched it.

I don’t understand how this film is so underexposed, especially given the general popularity of the studio. There’s barely any reviews of it on YouTube. I don’t think it was ever even mentioned on ANNCast once, even though it was released while that was running, and those guys tended to talk about every new anime cinematic release. I feel that far more attention has been given to films that are substantially inferior. As much as I love a Silent Voice, to me it’s clearly a much more flawed film, but it’s still hit a high level of popularity despite being a similarly toned story.

Is it just because it’s not the type of story or protagonist people are used to from Studio Ghibli? Was there something that took attention away from it?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
Most people associate Ghibli with (Hayao) Miyazaki. He's directed 8 of their 21 features, and he set the standard pretty high, maybe too high (earned an Oscar, after all). And so if the film isn't Miyazaki-tier, or even Takahata-tier, most people give non-Miyazaki (or Takahata) films a sub-conscious shrug-off.

I watched Miyazaki's 2nd overall feature, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, for the first time ever, last week (and am finally working my way through his filmography; have only seen this and Lupin, so far). I know it's technically not Ghibli (it's actually animated by Topcraft; also, I've yet to actually see a full-length Ghibli feature in my 27 years of fandom), but if that film is any kind of indicator to his skill as a storyteller, I can see how other features might not match up so well.

Then again, different people have different tastes. Your interpretation of Marnie might feel stronger than others' because of the way it impacted you on a personal level. That's just the subjective nature of storytelling.

If you like it so much, you are welcome to voice your thoughts to try and get it more attention. Heck, I'm trying to do that for a bunch of titles over in the Series Discussion forum.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I would have to agree that When Marnie Was There is one of the lesser discussed/noticed Ghibli films. I quite liked it myself but then again I'm the kind of Ghibli fanboy who, if they animated their grocery list, I'd probably be in awe. I have every Ghibli movie on Blu-ray and even Ocean Waves on DVD which I got from the Uk.

I think Marnie may be being overlooked because it is one of their "quieter" stories - no big fantasy spectacle, etc. It's definitely worth seeing, though.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Most people associate Ghibli with (Hayao) Miyazaki. He's directed 8 of their 21 features, and he set the standard pretty high, maybe too high (earned an Oscar, after all). And so if the film isn't Miyazaki-tier, or even Takahata-tier, most people give non-Miyazaki (or Takahata) films a sub-conscious shrug-off.

I get that but this film was made by the guy who directed Arrietty and Maria and the Witch’s Flower (outside of Ghibli). I remember both of those films at least being mentioned on ANNCast for example, but never Marnie. I discovered it existed basically by accident. A Silent Voice was not hugely successful at the Japanese Box Office, but it’s still managed to build up a huge following in anime fandom due to the power of the story. I think that film and Marnie are quite similar on a thematic level, and I just feel bewildered why it’s not gone through a similar process.

In terms of my own feelings, I think this is one of the most emotionally powerful anime films I’ve seen. I really can’t think of anything else other than a Silent Voice and End of Evangelion that reaches this level of dramatic impact. That is probably to a large extent due to it being a book adaptation. The protagonist and their arc are certainly more memorable and psychologically interesting to me than any of other Ghibli heroines. I’d definitely recommend it for anyone who liked A Silent Voice or Eva. To me it’s kind of like a Silent Voice but without all the goofy teenage hijinks that I feel held that film back.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree it's not as well known as it probably should be, but it's the kind of quiet story that doesn't draw the most attention either. I own it (like most Ghibli films) and have seen it several times, but when I show it to children they are "meh" on it, so it doesn't have the same appeal to them like many other Ghibli movies.

It really is a niche audience for adults as well who like a nice story without a lot of action either. I loved Whisper of the Heart as well, and this is more like that, mostly based in real life without the fantastical creatures even though it does have a supernatural element to it, it's certainly not the focus in a mysterious way.

I like the story, I would be happy if more people saw it, but if you're looking for a Miyazaki anime, this is very different.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I own it (like most Ghibli films) and have seen it several times, but when I show it to children they are "meh" on it, so it doesn't have the same appeal to them like many other Ghibli movies.

Yeah tbh I can’t see pre-teens enjoying it. I don’t think it really has anything for them.

bonbonsrus wrote:
I like the story, I would be happy if more people saw it, but if you're looking for a Miyazaki anime, this is very different.

Ironic, considering the book apparently was required reading to work at Studio Ghibli, and Miyazaki always planned to make a film adaptation.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Arkthelad wrote:
Ironic, considering the book apparently was required reading to work at Studio Ghibli, and Miyazaki always planned to make a film adaptation.

Wow, can you imagine this anime as done by him? I am certain it would have had a very different look and feel! Not better or worse necessarily, just very different. Wink
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
Well if Howls is anything to go by, it wouldn’t have been anything like the book. I imagine Marnie would have been a giant talking teddy bear, possibly with a male voice.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
It is one of Ghibli's lesses films, still excellent, since, well, its Ghibli (I would guess that Ghibli holds the highest standard of excellence in making film among any film or animation studio in the world). If it was released by any other studio it would be probably their best work ever but since its Ghibli it gets less exposure than it deserves because there are so many masterpieces in the studio's catalog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1