• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:27 am Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV)
Season 02: (The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV 2)

Source: Light Novle (ongoing @ 9 volumes, written by Yuka Tachibana, illustrated by Yasuyuki Syuri)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: Diomedéa

Genres: fantasy, magic, romance, slice of life

Themes: isekai, medicine

Plot Summary: Sei, a 20-year-old office worker, is whisked away to a whole new world. Unfortunately for Sei, the ritual that summoned her—meant to produce a “Saint” who would banish the dark magic—brought two people over instead of one. And everyone prefers the second girl over Sei.

But this is just fine by Sei, who leaves the royal palace to set up shop making potions and cosmetics with her newfound magic. Business is booming, and this might not be such a bad life, after all as long as her supposed Sainthood doesn't come back to haunt her.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 6, 2021 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 02: October 3, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am seeing some rather negative reactions to this one, and I would agree that it felt like sped through stuff that things like passage of time and who Sei is as a person could use some focus. But I kind of enjoyed this. Female centred isekai have been kind of been more my thing in recent times, and I do like a story where the greatness of a character can be apart from how dangerous they are in overpowering people. So I am kind of up for a story with a focus on a character that decided to jump onto the potion making class.

I will hope that going forward they will fix what issues the first episode had.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
1:

Another isekai title? What's the obsession over this genre?

But hold on, I see some good things about this show. We have a female protagonist. Not just a regular girl, but an adult office lady (unusual choice of a character, if you think about it). Best of all, she's likable (protagonists in isekai shows tend to be unlikable to me). Level-headed and understanding. Wonderful!

I can see the obvious telltale signs that this is a shoujo (reverse harem?) show. Nothing against that; in fact, it's a breath of fresh air when the genre is filled with the lulzy, mindless kind. I get some Ancient Magus' Bride, where the ambiance is calming and the pacing is deliberately slow...

...which is odd, when the pacing is technically hasty. Two weeks elapsed, just like that? That was quick. I don't see the need for a time warp right on episode one; why not just let the story unfold by itself?

Anyways, I'm liking the show for now. I'll stick around.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
The time skips are in the source material (the novel version). The first episode only covers the first two chapters and a prolog of the novel (about 55 pages). It does not seem so abrupt there as we are seeing it from Sei's point of view including her inner monolog.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
2:

My god, the OP is so soul-cleansing...

Okay I get it. Sometimes you feel like nobody cares about you. Sometimes you feel like nobody appreciates you or even acknowledge your existence. How you wish you can get whisked away to another world where people appreciate your work and value your contribution (and be surrounded by pretty men as a bonus). That's Sei, right there.

But do I hate this show? Not at all. I'm actually a little smitten by it. Sei's simply likable and so is everyone else. Even if it's isekai, watching this show is so therapeutic I can call this show iyashikei. I think that every step of the way here is going to be a feel-good session.

I like it.

Last edited by ACxS on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
The show maybe needed more things like the "few weeks later" bit, just to sell the passing of time. I was a little confused how it kind of felt like she was starting to do cooking, and then finding out that it has become well known for Hawke to have heard of it.

Sei also seems to have a type, she was super smitten over Hawke's blue eyes and blonde hair, that she knew that she was staring too much, and then became friends with Elizabeth who she also admitted is pretty. I stan girl friendships, and at least we know that Elizabeth is nice enough to care about a girl that was the target of other girls for getting too close to their fiancés. They probably could have made Nicole's face actually look like she has acne, rather than just having freckles. I did get a bit of a chuckle out of Sei saying that Hawke was her type, seems kind of rare in anime.

Also wondering if it was a bit vague if the researchers were all stuffed because they were experimenting on her food to see what would happen. Did they just have a big stock of her food, or was she just doing a whole lot of cooking that day for the researchers, before finding out why?

Before showing Nicole, I was kind of wondering if it had something to do with the other girl that got isekaied and was named a saint. I wonder when she might re-enter the story again.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also wondering if it was a bit vague if the researchers were all stuffed because they were experimenting on her food to see what would happen. Did they just have a big stock of her food, or was she just doing a whole lot of cooking that day for the researchers, before finding out why?

Before showing Nicole, I was kind of wondering if it had something to do with the other girl that got isekaied and was named a saint. I wonder when she might re-enter the story again.

They were also making their own food with her recipes to make the observation that her food had the 50% bonus added in healing/health that their didn't! I like how it clearly worked on her own eye sight first and she no longer needs to wear glasses, but I don't think characters are automatically better without glasses, glasses can be very cute too, but one's eye sight improving is best.

I also wondered about that too, I have to think it wont be too long until we see the other "saint" girl again whom we know nearly nothing about. It does seem like the king is hiding her away since she probably can't do any of the things that they'd normally rely on a saint to do.
I also liked how they note that they are running into fewer monsters around since the saint is there dispelling the miasma or whatever that brings them out, seems like Sei being around is good for everything.

I am really liking this show, ACxS is right, it is relaxing.
I like the straightforward romance seeming to bud, Hawke is clearly taken with Sei, I hope she doesn't remain oblivious about it too long. I am pleased with how many shows I am liking this season!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:18 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I like the straightforward romance seeming to bud, Hawke is clearly taken with Sei, I hope she doesn't remain oblivious about it too long.

Yeah, as much as being surrounded by beautiful men is something, a straightforward romance is nice. She internally said she at least likes how he looks and nothing against his actions, while Hawke has seemed rather friendly that it is easy to read interest, it would be good to go from there. Although I am far too familiar with anime that has to keep relationships.

As long as he is not just in it for the free health potions. Razz
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
I actually find it cute that Sei has a type for guys. The fact that our heroine admits to have a type is a bit of breaking the mold of your usual female protagonist. Not to mention that something that seems insignificant in light of many other harem shows where the guy always has a type.

Not a shocker than it's the blue eyes with the blonde hair, and how it's hinted that he used to be cold before Sei came along. Of course it's a bishie kuudere! But I have no beef about it; if men can have their type, why can't women, ammarite.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:56 am Reply with quote
That is what I was thinking, that it is not common for heroines in these types of shows to express having a type.

Although, I was just trying to think of a female character into blonde hair and I thought of Shino from Kiniro Mosaic, who has a super blonde hair fetish.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
3:

Man: "I thought we had something!"
Woman: "That's just what friends do, right!?"

Sound familiar? That's basically what happened between Sei and Hawke. But usually, this is told from the man's point of view, and rarely the woman's. We got to see it from the other's POV, namely Sei's.

I can see how each guy in this show fits a certain bishie stereotype:

1) *Hawke - The Knight in Shining Armor
2) Johan - the Protective One
3) Jude - the Nice Guy
and now, 4) Appraiser - the Cold One

*honestly, I think it would be more interesting if we get to see the "colder" side of him so that we can appreciate his transformation when he began seeing Sei... isn't that how "kuudere" works, at least for female characters?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
If one has low self-esteem, it is normal to not believe that someone has interest in them. At least she has people able to tell her that it means that he is interested, also it has not turned into some war of people trying to be competitive to make her theirs. The different guys are fun.

It has kind of started to be a thing that I am noticing there are like no other women in any of these different fields (herbalism and enchanting), there probably is not anything intended. We only have Elizabeth in the royal library, who I am assuming will probably be fairly high noble.

Did Sei find out what enchantment was on the hair accessory? Also, is she at risk of totally wrecking their magical economy by creating high level items?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 am Reply with quote
I like Sei and all, but she seems to have regressed from a savvy office lady to a clueless teenager. Al couldn't be more obvious in the signals he's sending without overstepping into being pushy (and I like that he's not), but it's all whizzing a mile over her head. Her denseness is way more than a mere unfamiliarity with the local customs.

She also struck me as someone who'd be more attuned to being used than she seems to be now (at least she did notice the deadline push). I just don't get why she's become so cheerfully compliant now. Myne (Bookworm) was much better at this. Wink

So did she ever get her hairpin's enchantment appraised?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So did she ever get her hairpin's enchantment appraised?

No, what that does becomes evident later, wait for it.

Sei is basically a workaholic. She feels uncomfortable if she is not doing something productive. She doesn't feel used as she is enjoying herself. All those potions she makes is not her being worked hard but her getting into her groove and losing track of what she is accomplishing. She is enjoying the fact that the work day ends when it gets dark. All that enchantment did not particularly tire her, she is proud of what she accomplished. The chief magician is apologetic. By the way, did you note spoiler[his eye color? He is Al's older brother]. Small Kingdom.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
I've been watching this one since the first episode and the closest I've come to something to say is "Do they know what 'omnipotent' means?"

It's nice, I wish Sei had more of a personality, a sharper tongue, more drive, actual active goals rather than passive ones that are always given to her. I was worried that episode 1 set up the "Rising of the Shield Hero" plot... and now I'm wondering if I should be more worried that it completely disappeared.

It's nice, a little too nice.

And there's a fine line between "using her" and "making use of her" and Appraiser was doing well up until he left her wage entirely up to Sei for work only he knew the value of. Sure, it's what I would have said but I can admit to, if not being outright evil, being cutthroat when it comes to finances.

I'm guessing that Sei has made enough enchantments and potions to pay for the kingdom now. She can't break the economy with them as potions get consumed and enchanted trinkets are strictly 1 per customer as that's all the demand should be. If/when she gets into alchemy and starts to make those base metals into gold then she''ll break the economy but right now, she's just creating product and demand in equal amounts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9