• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Crying Your Eyes Out with Fruits Basket

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now for a heaping dose of SURVIVOR'S GUILT! Hooray!! Now with twice the number of dead moms!

Is this supposed to be sarcastic or something? Dead dads are exist in Furuba: Akito and spoiler[Komaki,] which she is probably won't appear in anime version due to only one cour and because of it, the anime version are likely to remove the scenes of spoiler[Komaki's father killed Kyoko by car and like Kyo's mom, he ended up killing himself.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Never watched it, but I have always thought Fruits Basket was a romcom. Looks more like When They Cry now.
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Never watched it, but I have always thought Fruits Basket was a romcom. Looks more like When They Cry now.

It's not nearly as violent or psychological as the When They Cry franchise, but it's still more than simply a romcom. The 2001 anime puts more emphasis on the comedy and gives off a "Ranma 1/2 but aimed more at girls" vibe, and while that could be fun at times, that's not what the original manga was really about. There's more drama than there appears to be when the story starts, but I'd say most of it is handled pretty deftly.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
What a great article! So much of what I love about this anime is explained brilliantly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see I am not the only one who cannot stand Akito's maid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1