• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eleven Arts Premieres Gintama The Very Final Anime Film's English Dub at New York Comic Con

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
Why couldn't we get this cast for the dub of the first season of Gintama?
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
Why couldn't we get this cast for the dub of the first season of Gintama?

Because that dub was the last of the three English dubs to come out and it's the worst. Gintoki, Shinpachi, and Kagura's voice actors are from the 2015 season which is the most well-received and beloved dub out of all of them. Dub fans consider that cast to be the definitive cast for Gintama (myself included)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
Glad to see them bringing back the VA's from the 2015 dubs.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote
It's really cool the actors for the 3 main characters from the 2015 anime will reprise their roles here, although I admit not having seen much from that dub as of yet. I own the Blu-rays, I'll check it out sometime.

A shame about the rest of the cast though, every other character seems to have been recast. No Ted Cole Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“It was important to bring back as many of the original cast as possible for the fans."

The sentiment is nice, but trust me when I say that few would've been heartbroken had the Sentai cast been forgotten. To this day, that's still the Gintama dub that gets meme'd on the hardest, despite the amateurish Miami production of season 1 now being a few years old.

Given they went out of their way to hire the Vancouver leads, I suspect Eleven Arts knows that, too. In actuality, they probably gave it to Sentai because it was cheaper than getting Ocean to dub the movie, still allows them to do reprisals thanks to the Benizakura movie (even if no one was asking for these reprisals) and probably had it recorded alongside the Shirabako movie.*

*I know the initial solicitations said it would be sub-only, but Eleven Arts never announced the home video release themselves and it was quietly pushed back.
igiari21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
Gross, the Sentai cast? People dump on the Miami dub but the Sentai cast was absolutely atrocious. I'm more offended that they brought back the Vancouver leads and then gave the rest to Sentai. That dub of the 2012 movie was an abomination.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm heartbroken to hear Sentai isn't just paying the extra money to get Ocean Studios back. Ocean returning is basically the only shot at have of Gintama finally getting the perfect English dub. Oh well. I can still dream.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
@Ultimate N. I was actually referring to most of the ocean group but the other Voiced were let down by poor voice directions
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
I wish they had gotten more of the Vancouver back, but at least they got the main trio back. Would this be the first time since that Soultaker spin off that a Canada based VA has done a Texas dub?

To give some credit I like that Kyle Colby Jones is playing Takasugi, as bad as the dub for that movie was(though I stand firmly that the Miami dub is worse), Kyle weirdly was a fitting match for Takasugi. And that dub was from the time when Sentai would have actors play multiple roles and everything was super fast, though I think their turn around time is still fast, so i don't think people should worry too much.

Greg Ayres as Kamui is funny as his brother played him before.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed both the previous movie dub done by Sentai as well as the Series 3 dub done by Ocean, so this is an interesting mix I'll look forward to hearing, lol.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wish they had gotten more of the Vancouver back, but at least they got the main trio back. Would this be the first time since that Soultaker spin off that a Canada based VA has done a Texas dub?

To give some credit I like that Kyle Colby Jones is playing Takasugi, as bad as the dub for that movie was(though I stand firmly that the Miami dub is worse), Kyle weirdly was a fitting match for Takasugi. And that dub was from the time when Sentai would have actors play multiple roles and everything was super fast, though I think their turn around time is still fast, so i don't think people should worry too much.

Greg Ayres as Kamui is funny as his brother played him before.

Chris Ayres was replaced not just due to his lung illness,but because he had a fall out with Sentai after how poorly they treated his fiancee Krystal LaPorte
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
igiari21 wrote:
Gross, the Sentai cast? People dump on the Miami dub but the Sentai cast was absolutely atrocious. I'm more offended that they brought back the Vancouver leads and then gave the rest to Sentai. That dub of the 2012 movie was an abomination.

I'll admit I have SOME reservations about the Sentai cast returning as well however I don't think we should completely lose hope just yet. The cast are all really good voice actors and Kyle Colby Jones is a good ADR director (man's actually directed most of the best dubs from Sentai. Not all, but a good amount) and it HAS been like 7 years. The staff and cast have all gained much more experience and become better actors. Will this be the best dub we could've asked? No, in a perfect world we would've actually gotten Ocean back in full, but this is still a better result than just Sentai again and even then it will more than likely be a VAST improvement
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Frankenstein's Cast. I do love it when Canadian actor get roles though!
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
@Ultimate N. I was actually referring to most of the ocean group but the other Voiced were let down by poor voice directions

Oooooooooh. You were asking why the movie cast couldn't have been the cast for the first 49 episodes vs the TV series. In that case yeah I completely agree.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

If you mean Houston (ADV/Sentai) then maybe but Funimation had a few cases where a Canadian VA was part of their dubs like Scott McNeil in FMA 03 & One Piece and Brian Drummond in Dragon Ball Super.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2