• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation Code Fairy PS5, PS4 Game's Video Reveals November 5 Launc

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I was expecting a single-player spinoff Gundam game about cute girls piloting Mobile Suits during the One Year War, but here we are.

I'm surprised they're having the protagonists be part of Zeon instead of the Frederation, since you assume the protagonists are destined to lose one way or another (and it looks like they end up fighting custom Gundam's eventually), but I guess it should provide an interesting story.

Also looks like it's episodic? I guess you purchase each set of 5 episodes individually? I wonder if a hard copy of the game will be released with all 15 episodes.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really a fan of episodic games. I usually lost interest by the time they all come out. But a game about cute girls piloting Gundams sounds fun.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This is... interesting. Premise aside, I'm glad of a new SP Gundam sim game (haven't had a proper one since the ambitious but deeply flawed "Side Stories" all the way back on PS3)... I just hope the gameplay is improved over the PS4 Battle Operation, and rebalanced for offline play.

MFrontier wrote:
I can't say I was expecting a single-player spinoff Gundam game about cute girls piloting Mobile Suits during the One Year War, but here we are.

I'm surprised they're having the protagonists be part of Zeon instead of the Frederation, since you assume the protagonists are destined to lose one way or another (and it looks like they end up fighting custom Gundam's eventually), but I guess it should provide an interesting story.

Also looks like it's episodic? I guess you purchase each set of 5 episodes individually? I wonder if a hard copy of the game will be released with all 15 episodes.

They could always wind up defecting, that way you'd get to play with MS from both sides. But I suspect the decision was made for no other reason than to appeal to the creepily-popular Nazi fetish in Japan.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
They could always wind up defecting, that way you'd get to play with MS from both sides. But I suspect the decision was made for no other reason than to appeal to the creepily-popular Nazi fetish in Japan.

Well, the Zeon uniforms are kind of snazzy...
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Kind of interesting they're using the free to play game to make another game with a separate story, and (despite the tie-ins) give you access to that gameplay without the free to play stuff. Not unprecedented or anything (see also Puzzles & Dragons), but I guess this is an instance where I imagine people would come to it for the Gundam, without knowledge of the existing game.

I played the original GBO on PS3, when it was Japan only and you had limited plays per day (unless you paid) - it was woefully outdated, clunky, and ran like garbage. GBO2, from what I've played, is basically...the same, except it doesn't run as badly. It at least tries to deliver on being a "grounded" third person MS piloting game, and I imagine that's why it's still running, but I do wish it was, like...better.

I may give this a look anyway.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Great to see a proper UC gundam game. Nice to see they are going the Zeon route as well. 0081 is still one of the best. Getting to play both sides with original stories. Side Stories was nice too. I really don't enjoy the clunkyness of the BO series but hopefully something like this sparks some life for brining back some original story driven UC games.
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of the days of that old zeon game for ps2 hopefully this is good.
might check it out
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, yet another sidestory that tries to tell us the Zeons were really a bunch of swell guys and adorable waifus despite their leadership wanting to kill every single person living on the Earth.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
Lol they really did an all female cast Gundam... I hope this will fail so hard that they will never try to do it again.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:02 am Reply with quote
This seems like it's just trying to be a hook to get you into the main (I presume) cash cow of the F2P game.
Not thrilled with it being Zeon focused either, though that will really be determined with how they're portrayed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1