• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cue! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:58 am Reply with quote

Cue! (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, slice of life
Themes: voice acting

Plot Summary: The brand-new voice actor office "AiRBLUE" has no track record or experience. Aspiring voice actors with rich individuality are signed on to the office. They do their best to achieve their dreams, but it's a tough world out there. No matter how much they practice, not everyone will pass the audition.

Jan. 7, 2022 (Fridays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
I am having trouble getting through Episode 2 due to the mental images created every time (6 I believe) the subtitles read "Heroin" for "Heroine".
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Things start to pick up in Episode 4. Sadly no heroine appears, so no "heroin" in the subtitles.

While not a great show, CUE! should be found entertaining by anyone who likes the SOL/CGDCT genre. The girls are likeable, but even though the focus has been "zoomed in" to just eight girls, that is still about twice as many as it is easy to follow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not entirely sure I'll be around for the long haul, but I am farther away from dropping this than I was in the early going. It's strange the things I'll glom onto but a point of interest for me is that they are all iiving in a dorm. Don't ask me why but that element makes this more watchable for me. Yeah, I know I'm weird.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm still not entirely sure I'll be around for the long haul, but I am farther away from dropping this than I was in the early going.

Episode 5 where the girls are recording their voice parts for the anime is the most attention holding episode so far - more than a turtle's pace now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I can only imagine that a lot of it would have been pretty meta to record.
Snake_snack

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:47 pm Reply with quote
This show has gotten better and better. When it started I was just overwhelmed by cast members, but the show has done a great job of highlighting each girl in their groups. I know all of them, and like something about all of them.

The whole story with the Bloom Ball casting has been great. The Tsubaki spinoff being made and a whole new character being added to the show because the acting inspired the author, are both great storylines, and are the best part of the show.

I'm glad I stuck with this show, after the rough first couple of episodes it really started to click. Anyone else really enjoying this show?
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I am typically not much into idols and J-pop, but the show all 16 girls put on in the penultimate episode has been the high point of the series - only issue is how can they end the series now in the next episode without it feeling like a letdown?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

To be frank straight up, I was not heavily impressed by this series. It had way too many characters for me really to get invested in any particular one of them, where I can think through the run the closest would be the one chuuni girl that suddenly found herself a group leader. There are just way too many characters, that all get introduced early in this series, that I will struggle to really have any of them stay with me. And I am certain that it is actually really impressive that they managed to have so many characters running in and out of the focus, it is just not me.

I think that I am pretty confident in saying that I enjoyed Seiyu's Life from back in..... 2017? I otherwise can't really say that felt more enlightened from Cue, where all the characters feel a lot like the cookie cutter archtypes from all the other idol anime. That is a thing, it feels very much wishy washy idol anime, rather than insights, otherwise the show probably would have just been the monotone voice director guy.

And that whole motion capture subplot felt more cringey rather than something insightful about new media on the international stage of the web. Perhaps bothered me more being someone in the international media watchers, and I know how hard those stuff that are something like just idols being motion captured, just kind of crash. Full transparency, I actually did fairly recently kind of start getting into some VTubers, and at least my perception it is not the type of thing those girls were bringing.

My rating will be So-so (5/10), it didn't really catch my attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1