• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Winning FLCL T-Shirt Design is Scarface Haruko

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
it looks cute. might have to pick up one for a friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NeXT_Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Agreed, it is pretty cute.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
Nice design Surprised... Although I prefer the red Ta-kun one (Not Naota... I mean the cute black kitty that's in my actual avatar)
<---------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Very nicely designed (simple, and not overly flashy). It'll definently become a seller, maybe even to those unfamiliar to FLCL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah its good. I'd buy that, no problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheProfosist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
what they forgot to mention is that you can Pre-Order it right now from AnimeGamers.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Meccanica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
I like it, although I think it could have been improved on. I might pick one up if I see one in a store somewhere.

TestamentSaki wrote:
Nice design Surprised... Although I prefer the red Ta-kun one (Not Naota... I mean the cute black kitty that's in my actual avatar)
<---------

Heh, that's funny, because I'm wearing that shirt right now.
cl4y

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'd buy one, except my wife probably wouldn't appreciate me wearing a girl in a bunny outfit.

Well that, and I despise hot topic.
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't like it? I mean the picture's cool, but I hate shirts that just have a square picture on it. Looks like a cheap iron-on thing, or the crud ADV was trying to pass off on their online clothes store when it first opened. I like the pictures on shirts to flood or encompass the whole shirt, not be limited to just a square.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
erith81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Looks like a cheap iron-on thing

The point of the design is that it is a parody of an existing work (fitting for a series like FLCL). The picture is set up like the movie poster/dvd box art for the gangster classic "Scarface". I agree that the "limited" square shirts are pretty lame, but when the point is parody, and the original had that style, its only fitting. Otherwise, such a parody would horribly fail.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't like it? I mean the picture's cool, but I hate shirts that just have a square picture on it. Looks like a cheap iron-on thing, or the crud ADV was trying to pass off on their online clothes store when it first opened. I like the pictures on shirts to flood or encompass the whole shirt, not be limited to just a square.

i agree. it has a very cheesy feel to it. seriously lacking in originality.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Scarface Haruko? Now that's original.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cl4y

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Nebs wrote:

i agree. it has a very cheesy feel to it. seriously lacking in originality.

If it were any other series, I'd agree that this shirt is just tasteless. But FLCL somehow worked tasteless things into it's humor to add flavor. It's like when the scene cuts to a bad South Park impression right in the middle the Earth almost being destroyed. The impression itself isn't really that good or original, but the absurdity of it popping up in a scene that should be all tense and serious is what makes it funny.

The shirt won't win any awards for originality or visual splendor, but it feels very FLCL to me.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
OMG my Haruko-cosplaying friend will love this shirt. o.o I must inform her husband that this would make a wonderful gift for her. Anime hyper

I like it, regardless of other criticism.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
not bad. might get it.....but i wont go in hot topic. it pisses me off just walking past it Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2