• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation 5 Console Has Shipped 19.3 Million Units Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
and most are still in scalper's hands
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

At least from what I've heard in gaming news, the scalper prices are coming down. It's still well above retail, but after 1.5 years we may have at least hit the point where the "gotta have it" crowd has cleared and now it's more people that will either keep trying to buy at retail or are waiting for when stock is sufficient that they can easily get it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:11 am Reply with quote
By then they should probably wait for the PlayStation 6.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I heard some rumors saying that although the PS5 sold over a million units in Japan the actual userbase is probably smaller since most of the consoles sold in the region were bought by scalpers. That probably explains why the software sales are very low there.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Sony has missed sales targets significantly due to supply chain disruption and chip shortages.

This will over the long term ruin PS5's momentum as the time allows competitors to adjust even though they face the same hurdles.

We may also see an extension for cross-gen development by both 1st and 3rd parties. So PS4 will continue to have longevity as a supported platform.
kuma991

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys, I got mine back in January and there's been no shortages since.
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:05 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
So PS4 will continue to have longevity as a supported platform.

Yes, Sony already stated that the lifecycle of the PS4 will be expanded. Usually, current-gen and old-gen consoles continue to live side by side for about 2 years. Due to the pandemic, chip shortages, shipping problems and so on, it's confirmed to be 4 years for PS4 and PS5 to co-exist (maybe they will go for even longer later on?). Considering the small PS5 playerbase (should be almost twice as big by now) and the PS4's huge playerbase, it's an economic sound decision. Sadly, I think the PS5 will suffer from this. The games won't even come anywhere near to utilizing its full power. We will see more of those "PS5 enhanced" game versions. An old @ss graphics engine, but 60 fps? Yay....

I seriously doubt Sony will be releasing a "PS5 Slim/Pro" anytime soon (not for the next 2 to 3 years), because the PS5's lifecycle will most likely span more than the usual 7 years.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:40 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I heard some rumors saying that although the PS5 sold over a million units in Japan the actual userbase is probably smaller since most of the consoles sold in the region were bought by scalpers. That probably explains why the software sales are very low there.

No. Scalpers don’t hold onto PS5s. They buy them and onsell them ASAP. The only thing supply affects is the price markup they put on.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:59 am Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:
I don't know about you guys, I got mine back in January and there's been no shortages since.

Please provide the webstore where you are currently able to obtain a PS5 at retail price.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
kuma991 wrote:

Please provide the webstore where you are currently able to obtain a PS5 at retail price.

Stores are still announcing when they are in stock, which seems to imply that there is no inventory as of yet.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:

Well Yes and No.. It's not impossible to find one, you just need to have some patience. For those looking and not wanting to pay a scalper its a good idea to frequent your local big box store (Target, Walmart, Best Buy) and check in frequently. I was able to locate a few of the Disc versions of the PS5 over the past few months for others.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:12 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Sony has missed sales targets significantly due to supply chain disruption and chip shortages.

This will over the long term ruin PS5's momentum as the time allows competitors to adjust even though they face the same hurdles.

We may also see an extension for cross-gen development by both 1st and 3rd parties. So PS4 will continue to have longevity as a supported platform.

Yeah it's catching up to them

Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the PS 5 actually exists. It's a ruse I tell you! There is no PS 5; there is only Zuul!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1