• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Military Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaritLage

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:09 am Reply with quote
obviously , we all know Gunslinger Girl .

i·m looking for Military-themed anime , preferably of Knights of Sidonia level quality , tho that·s a pretty high bar to ko .

Frame Arms Girl was super good . Apparently there·s a Girls Frontline anime , i just looked it up , and i·ve heard good things about Girls Und Panzer . School-Live! was really good if u like zombie slayers .

Military anime . High quality . Let·s go .
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
First thing I thought of was, well, all of Gundam. But maybe that's too sci-fi. By the way, my favorite of that is 08th MS Team. But that is less about the usual gundam stuff and more about the characters.

Girls und Panzer is not about the military, imho. It's, um, cute girls in a high school sport, which happens to be driving tanks and definitely trying to not kill anyone. I enjoy it as an insane farce, though that may not be what its makers intended.

Maybe off your topic, but there is some good anti-war manga from a couple of people who survived World War II, but I don't remember the names off hand. Gundam's political bits may feel anti-war, with characters that are all angsty about it, but the show still loves to blow stuff up. Gundam 0080, War in the Pocket, was an exception, a small scale story that hit home pretty hard.

I think I've wandered a bit away from what you are looking for, so, sorry about that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
You can't get any more military than "The Saga of Tanya the Evil" (Youjo Senki)

The Evil part is purely taking liberties, as the literal translation of Youjo Senki seems to be "The Military Chronicles of a Little Girl" (per Wikipedia).

This is basically a World War One, with bits of World War Two mashup, with magic thrown in. Most of the war action is normal, where the magic is just an enhancement to some degree. The aerial mages can act as scouts, spotters, air to ground attacks, and air to air attacks. But they are not all encompassing, most of the war is the usual soldiers, tanks, bombers, and fighters. You even see military strategy sessions.

So I would say this is firmly in the miltary anime vein. I have watched this series several times, hasn't gotten old to me yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1