• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Totally Spy×Family

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
Did someone ask a question about period clothing?! Very Happy

As far as I know (the 1960s aren't my specialty), Yor's sweater dress isn't accurate in its backlessness (sweater dresses were a thing otherwise), but we've got lots of pictures of my dad in his teens and early 20s wearing that same jeans-and-white-T-shirt combo in the mid and late 60s.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:09 am Reply with quote
Wow. Get Smart reference for the last line of the article. Very on point.

Plus, I doubt I've thought of that line since I first heard it (repeatedly) when the series first aired.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
I was a little late in hopping on the SPYxFAMILY train, but I had to see what all the hype was about for myself & it didn't take me long to fall in love with the Forgers like everyone else. Thing is, even when I think the show has moments of being slow, that set-up consistently leads to either a great gag or an emotional, heartwarming payoff.

Also, I don't have to tell anyone but Anya is a charming insta-meme machine. Everyone is right on the money when they say she works because she still views things through the perspective of her age and isn't overtly precocious as such characters tend to be. And, her reaction faces are priceless.

Lastly, on an anecdotal level I can say this show seems to have that rare ability to connect with non-anime fans. SPYxFAMILY is 100% deserving of all the praise its getting and every episode leaves me with a giant smile on my face.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Lastly, on an anecdotal level I can say this show seems to have that rare ability to connect with non-anime fans. SPYxFAMILY is 100% deserving of all the praise its getting and every episode leaves me with a giant smile on my face.

I agree. I recommended it to my own siblings, who left the anime world a long time ago and they (and my nephew) are buying and reading the volumes non-stop!

To me, SpyxFamily has a charm for everyone, no matter their circumstances, goofy comedy, a bit of spy action, slice of (family) life…

Last edited by kgw on Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Wow. Get Smart reference for the last line of the article. Very on point.

Plus, I doubt I've thought of that line since I first heard it (repeatedly) when the series first aired.

Warms my heart to see folks catching onto my deep cuts Anime smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
we've got lots of pictures of my dad in his teens and early 20s wearing that same jeans-and-white-T-shirt combo in the mid and late 60s.

I was thinking Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire (1951) and James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause (1955). Very Happy But apparently the t-shirt was born when the US Navy issued them as undershirts in 1913, and Fruit of the Loom, Hanes and Sears were marketing them by the '30s, though still as undershirts. After WWII they took off as casual outerwear, and Hollywood made them cool by the '50s (see above). And of course jeans have been around since the California Gold Rush.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
*pounds table*
BOND! BOND! BOND! BOND!

But yeah +1 to everything above. This is the series that I'm able to get new people with now.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
"I heard if you do good enough in the dodgeball game, they'll give you three Stella Stars! Three Stellas, would you believe it, Becky?"
"That's pretty hard to believe."
"…Would you believe one?"
"Uh-uh."
"What about a headpat from the housemaster?"
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeeeeeeah, this is definitely my favorite show of the season too.

It deserves the hype. I too would adopt Anya. If "wholesome" had a definition, this is it. Anime catgrin She is a precious precious thing.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
we've got lots of pictures of my dad in his teens and early 20s wearing that same jeans-and-white-T-shirt combo in the mid and late 60s.

I was thinking Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire (1951) and James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause (1955).

The song in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy & Co enter Emerald city features scenes of guys wearing Oz T-shirts and slacks.

Time is weird.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This show is sillier than I expected, but I love it. I got a kick out of Hiroki Yasumoto voicing 6-year-old Bill with the same deep tone he used to voice Kinjo in Yowamushi Pedal.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Already by watching previews of this anime I was falling for it. I mean it's a comedy but it's quite wholesome too. Two of the characters are adults whie two are female. It appeals to several demographics and Wit did a nice job at adapting it. The music is pretty good too and half of what Anya does is meme too. Hope the second cour will mantain this appeal.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Love the ref to Totally Spies in the title of the article :) and a potential double ref since that may've been thought up not just becus of the Spy nature of both shows but becus one of the girls' names is Clover, which Clover Works Studio is helping to make the Spy X Family anime.

EDIT: Ok wow! I was very clearly wrong, when I read Handler is the spitting image of your editor I was like "Oh come on, there's no way lol" only to be proven wrong! She's got style, grace and beauty if u ask me with her outfit in the pic and hats :)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:04 pm Reply with quote
blooperboy wrote:
*pounds table* BOND! BOND! BOND! BOND!.
Enter the Most Dignified and Elegant Dog In the World! BTW, it is likely a spoiler[Great Pyrenees mix].
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I saw the preview and promo shot before it came out. The animation had me first and the synopsis was interesting. Now this show is on my "Gotta Have" list. Yes, I have it in my Cruncyroll queue but I want a physical copy when it comes out.

This show is funny, quasi serious and heartwarming. For me it tells how a family is what you make of it. A telepathic child, secret assassin and a spy all living together and forming a bond with each other.

Props to the OP and closing. Both songs are excellent. The ending had that lofi hip hop sound which is so chill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2