• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bocchi the Rock! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:21 am Reply with quote

Bocchi the Rock! (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: CGDCT (cute girls doing cute things), music

Plot Summary: Hitori "Bocchi-chan" ("Loner") Gotō is a lonely high school girl whose heart lies in her guitar. She does nothing every day except strum her guitar by herself at home. However, she happens one day to meet Nijika Ijichi, who is looking for a guitarist for her group named "Kessoku Band."

October 8, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:42 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode and really like the show’s art style. Another thing that piqued my curiosity is the fact that it takes place in one of my favorite neighborhoods of Tokyo, Shimokitazawa. In my almost 40 years of being an anime fan, I think this is the first time that I’ve seen that neighborhood appear in an anime!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Classic Hitori. When asked to say something to the audience, she misread the situation and tried to crowd surf... which did not work. I think why a particular part of this works, is that is an indicator where one might see her loner tendencies as a cynical lens of something like hating people, but those anxieties are built on things she would want to be more extroverted.

I am pretty sure that I have explained it before, but I love these shows around a little introverted anxious mess, the type of thing many people see as cringe comedy. And my general takes are almost never a straight up laughing at the cringey introvert. I genuinely relate so much to these kinds of anxiety displays, as someone who has suffered a lot from it myself, and seeing something so internal shown external can be very good. And that in particular has been a very strong part of this show, where it has gone out of its way to have these Hitori freakouts be in visually interesting. From Hitori's character design totally breaking down, to turning into claymation.

I understand that there is a lot of depth that you can actually get out in looking at the different levels of introversion or extroversion of the characters, their designs, how they adapted it from its source material, and say comparison to something like K-ON. But I don't think that I can quite now. I will give my rating of [b]Excellent/b] (9/10), a surprisingly good show for something I would say initially unassuming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1