• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Unique Skill Makes Me OP even at Level 1 (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote

My Unique Skill Makes Me OP even at Level 1 (TV)

Source: Light Novels (ongoing @ 7 volumes, written by Nazuna Miki, illustrated by Subachi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Maho Film

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes: harem, isekai, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Ryota Sato gets the surprise of his life when he's suddenly transported into another world and nearly clobbered at the hands of the young, pretty adventurer Emily Brown. This new world revolves around defeating monsters and profiting from whatever they drop -- food, money, items, etc. Unfortunately for Ryota, he has no skills to speak of... until he learns he has the ability to get rare drops. Suddenly his luck turns around...

Air Date & Platform:
July 8, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be real here, even I, as an isekai fan, consider the manga and novel to be as bland and boring as possible.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, the first episode was nothing amazing and overall I would not call it anything beyond decent, but they made some good decisions. First up is the unique gimmick though, all the food and drinks in the world dropping from monsters in the dungeons is an interesting idea. It makes for some rather weird grinding and workings of the economy.

As for the good decisions: that user interface/dungeon map look works well for the anime, it gives it a very game like feel. Also welcome is that they skipped some of the source material. That may sound weird to say, but 75% of the source material is the mc grinding for food in order to get rich. The anime shortening that grind is for the better.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I debated about whether to even sample this... and I'm kinda glad I did. It's nothing special but I dunno... I kind of liked it. Mr. Amazing Taste strikes again! Oi.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I was on the fencepost, but that kuudere bunny(?) girl at the very end gave me just enough of a laugh to commit to another episode
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
This show was cheaply made and pretty simplistic, but the show got at least one thing right – the aspect of isekai shows that appeal to people who dream of a world where job performance and rewards and personal growth are all measurable and tangible. Where a person can grind away like in a video game and make significant progress in life. A lot of isekai shows that start off OP from the moment the MC walks into an Adventurers' Guild mess that up. The show also has a sweet natured tone. So yeah, I liked it.

On a somewhat related note, here are my Isekai nitpicks at the end of the week:

In My Unique Skill Makes Me OP, why did Ryouta only get beans sprouts on level one and carrots on level 2 when all of his drop stats were S? According to the operating laws of the world as explained to us, shouldn’t he have been getting an equal number of low grade animals, minerals, magic, and specials?

In The Great Cleric, why did they have a Spartan training option on a world where Sparta presumably never existed?

In episode 2 of Sweet Reincarnation, why didn’t the father immediately get off of his horse and use his teleportation magic when he found out the leader of the bandits was targeting his son?

*(And yes, this is what I’d be like all of the time if I didn’t normally treat these kinds of burning questions as an unsightly rash)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was okay. The animation is still very budget and the fights are not anything impressive, but Death or Carrot with the killer bunny girl is fun enough due to how crazy the bunny girl is. We also got a cliffhanger that is not at all necessary because I think most people can guess what the drop is.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:23 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Episode 2 was okay. The animation is still very budget and the fights are not anything impressive, but Death or Carrot with the killer bunny girl is fun enough due to how crazy the bunny girl is. We also got a cliffhanger that is not at all necessary because I think most people can guess what the drop is.

Well, um, sure, it's a new weapon to replace that bamboo spear. *Whistling tunlessly*

I thought this show was a mild diversion, and one more reason for me to be deeply, deeply ashamed of myself and never claim to have and kind of discriminating taste ever again. Wink
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping for some ridiculous gorilla themed weapon. I want the dude to be fighting with a banana sword.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Crazy Bunny Girl was clearly created by an AI algorithm that totally understands what I want in a woman.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:03 pm Reply with quote
One that splits your head open with an overpowered chop?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. And who hates Low Levels. Don't forget the Low Level hatred.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm hoping for some ridiculous gorilla themed weapon. I want the dude to be fighting with a banana sword.

Just never tell that to a therapist Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:49 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I thought this show was a mild diversion, and one more reason for me to be deeply, deeply ashamed of myself and never claim to have and kind of discriminating taste ever again. Wink

Don't give up! I have impeccable discriminating taste - I just send it to bed when it gets too grumpy to have fun with garbage, so I can let my inner dork out of the box to play in peace.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:45 am Reply with quote
That sounds very healthy to me. My impeccable discriminating taste sometimes feels like its woken up hungover in a strange hotel bed in Vegas. Wink

(That was after I watched the full run of I'm the Eighth Son? Are You Kidding Me?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5